third party's hate nintendo because of how they treated them in the past .

#31_Sovereign_Posted 2/9/2013 7:10:06 PM
I would imagine that most people in the industry from 20+ years ago have either retired, moved on, been closed, or have Nintendo to thank for their success.

I feel like using that theory is nothing but a scapegoat for people who have no interest in developing for Nintendo. Or for people trying to justify devs not supporting Nintendo.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#32TheTrueNubPosted 2/9/2013 7:13:51 PM
The market was a lot different back then. In fact a lot of those out of practice policies are why we still have gaming today.

Nintendo saw the video game crash and worked to prevent it from happening again. It worked.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#33DrRMPosted 2/9/2013 7:19:52 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_video_game_crash_of_1983

the tldr version: nintendo make sure to get rid of all the poop on the days of the crash, because there was too many...

if the 3rd parties where mad with nintendo for that, then they can start making CoD every 6 months instead of 1 year and 2 trilogies of http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Rudolph_the_Red-Nosed_Reindeer_(video_game_cover).jpg for all I care :)
---
"He aqui mi secreto, que no puede ser mas simple : solo con el corazon se puede ver bien; lo esencial es invisible para los ojos."
#34jwillennPosted 2/9/2013 7:22:08 PM
What is Nintendo doing PRESENTLY (as in this generation) to alienate publishers? And who is really being hurt in the long run here? There's this thing called mind share. Wile E. Coyote poisons the pie Road Runner cuts out and serves Road Runner a slice with a nice big grin. Road Runner takes a bite and dashes off to enjoy another beautiful run. Wile E. Coyote scratches his head and takes a bite and sure enough the pie was poisonous! WHAT IF Wile E. just... didn't poison the freaking pie! He could enjoy pie with road runner! They could meet more often for pie! They could share and enjoy pie! Wile E. wouldn't have to suffer while Nin... I mean Road Runner not only continues to survive but thrive!

Take a look at Wara Wara plaza. I had not visited the Uplay community until moments ago. Why? It is NOW at the plaza! How did it get there? Well, unfortunately for Ubi, it isn't because Rayman Legends came out and the crowd went wow over what Ancel and team developed. Third parties beware! Buyers are aware! You want to talk about some fear third party publishers have of competing with Nintendo on its own platforms? They're creating their own problem by not showing up to the parties, showing up late, or showing up as bona fide bums!
#35mini_blightPosted 2/9/2013 7:55:21 PM
ThaPrinceRaziel posted...

Wait. So Nintendo controlled how much developers would have to pay to survive, how much copies they could make, and flat out told them they couldn't port the game anywhere else. While Sony PAYED developers to keep their games on their console? I don't know man, comparing those and saying Sony is worst.... Thank God for Sony! (I know you're not gonna like me saying that, but oh well)

Survive? What part are you referring to there?

The number of copies was determined by how many carts Nintendo could produce. You realise that Nintendo took control of that to avoid third party cartridges flooding the market, too.

There were a few third parties at the time that wanted the ability to put games on the NES without Nintendo's permission. They wanted to use Nintendo's platform without giving a single cent to Nintendo. Imagine that being allowed on any Sony or MS console/PC.

Yes, Sony payed for some. That's one of the reasons Sony gets away with doing many of the same things Nintendo get accused of doing. It shows that the complaints have nothing to do with what's right or wrong, but with how many zeroes are on the check.
#36mini_blightPosted 2/9/2013 8:07:51 PM
diggyfresh posted...

Please explain. What do you mean about countering?

So you're saying Nintendo's first party efforts on the Wii are all shovelware?

Because that's what it sounds like.
#37DBPanterAPosted 2/9/2013 8:20:43 PM
I am not going to even being to address the issue of Nintendo's policies in the 1980s to people who were not playing at that time. Ever wonder why there is a Nintendo seal of approval on all their items? Google that.

Anyways here is an article everyone should take a look at. It is the anatomy of a $60 game.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html

I bring this up because while the current situation is different than 1983, the issue today is that over 140 game developers shut their doors since 2006 due to the cost to produce games. Many companies stayed afloat early on because the Wii was printing money, which developers then used to fund the HD projects. Remember, Microsoft was not profitable selling the 360 until late 2009 (as in they didn't lose money), Sony was late 2010.

The Wii U has an install base of 3 million. 360 and PS3 sit right around 140 million combined. What do you think will happen when their new consoles launch? Many of the big time (AAA) games need to sell millions of copies to break even. Look at the financial reports of major 3rd party developers. This is why a company like EA bought popcaps to have a hand in the mobile/tablet/freemium market.

The economics of the industry are changing, and many companies that dream big, spend big, and don't sell their games will close their doors.

As a consumer, regardless of it is Nintendo or elsewhere, it becomes vastly important to purchase games digitally or new.
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#38OtakuGameraPosted 2/9/2013 8:26:02 PM
and people worship nintendo smh
---
PSVita no games? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-playstation-vita/64767381
http://www.atlus.com/res/p4g_faithful_reviews_1.jpg
#39ElectricMolePosted 2/9/2013 8:28:25 PM
Wow, so thats how Ultra games came about.

I was wondering why Metal Gear on NES was published by Ultra Games. Man, nintendo was really bad back then to third parties.

I think its still like that for the 3ds because nintendo has to make the carts for every game publisher.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#40mini_blightPosted 2/9/2013 8:39:46 PM
DBPanterA posted...
I am not going to even being to address the issue of Nintendo's policies in the 1980s to people who were not playing at that time. Ever wonder why there is a Nintendo seal of approval on all their items? Google that.

Anyways here is an article everyone should take a look at. It is the anatomy of a $60 game.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2010/02/anatomy-of-a-60-dollar-video-game.html

I bring this up because while the current situation is different than 1983, the issue today is that over 140 game developers shut their doors since 2006 due to the cost to produce games. Many companies stayed afloat early on because the Wii was printing money, which developers then used to fund the HD projects. Remember, Microsoft was not profitable selling the 360 until late 2009 (as in they didn't lose money), Sony was late 2010.

The Wii U has an install base of 3 million. 360 and PS3 sit right around 140 million combined. What do you think will happen when their new consoles launch? Many of the big time (AAA) games need to sell millions of copies to break even. Look at the financial reports of major 3rd party developers. This is why a company like EA bought popcaps to have a hand in the mobile/tablet/freemium market.

The economics of the industry are changing, and many companies that dream big, spend big, and don't sell their games will close their doors.

As a consumer, regardless of it is Nintendo or elsewhere, it becomes vastly important to purchase games digitally or new.

The PS4/720 will have an install base of ZERO at launch. Those third parties better get ready for the potential blood bath that may occur later this year and the next.

Cry about the Wii U's install base all you want. It took years for both PS3 and 360 to have decent install bases.

If the casuals don't want to pay $300+ for a Nintendo console, what makes you think they'll pay $400-$500+ for a PS4 or 720?

Ignoring the reality of the market hurt Nintendo, and it will hurt Sony and MS just as much, if not more.

If I were some of you, I'd think about switching careers asap.