Games.TM reviews Aliens Colonial Marines. It's disappointing.

#81GigantLuffyPosted 2/10/2013 12:40:26 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Well, so much for the Wii U having any games this year LOL

Lego City, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil.

There's three games for WiiU owners to play.
---
"STRANGE ISN'T IT" - Sonikku za Hejjihoggu
UnOfficial Getter Robo of anything ever
#82EoinPosted 2/10/2013 1:07:00 PM(edited)
jmichaelbp posted...
I don't know if scans are allowed here

They're not, although a small picture of the score that makes it clear that it's from Games™ and that it's their review of ACM would be OK under Fair Use. Or it might be modded - moderators sometimes have issues understanding the GameFAQs board rules so expecting any real understanding of Fair Use laws would be optimistic.
#83AmazingDanyPosted 2/10/2013 2:10:34 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#84endoflevelbossPosted 2/10/2013 3:03:26 PM
Bad reviews -> disappointing sales -> Wii U version cancelled.

Perhaps?
#85jmichaelbp(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 3:36:19 PM
Well, here's the text from the first page of the review:

All things considered, time has been surprisingly good to the Xenomorphs.

Though the franchise continues to dilute under waves of sequels, prequels and shameless tie-ins, it's the haunting memories of Ridley Scott's Alien and the adrenaline thrills of James Cameron's Aliens that has us hopelessly returning for more - we are but gluttons for disappointment.

Here's the thing - Aliens: Colonial Marines should be the game that restores faith in the beloved franchise. Promoted as the "true sequel" to James Cameron's Aliens, it thrusts the player into the boots of Corporal Christopher Winter, a Colonial Marine who is tasked with investigating the USS Sulaco in search of Ellen Ripley and the rest of the marines who were dispatched to LV-426.

It all sounds rather good, doesn't it? We've been waiting far too long to explore the remnants of Hadley's Hope, to sulk along the haunted passageways of the Sulaco and, of course, the chance to stick it to some Xenos with a powerloader.

While Aliens: Colonial Marineslets you do them particularly well.
What begins as a welcomed and sometimes mesmerising return to the planet that shaped science fiction quickly settles into a routine of frightening mediocrity.

Stalking trough through thr scorched streets of Hadley's Hope with the throbbing pulse of the motion tracker for company, it's wonderfully compeling.
Colonial Marines has no troublefinding the pace to quicly ramp tension levels through the roof, it just doesn't manage to successfully settle on it like Cameron's masterpiece achieved so effortlessly.

For every success Colonial Marines has with recreating an atmosphere and thrusting us into lovingly realised locale, it's quickly overshadowed by the numerous cracks that begin to show when the fighting begins.

The encounters have no spark, no danger. Your skin doesn't crawl as the motion tacker sparks to life, which is perhaps down to the way the conflicts are presented throughout. At no point are you ever given a reason to fear the Aliens; after all, they are pests and you're part of the intergalactic extermination crew.

For everything Gearbox could have done with the license, it has patched together a pretty mundane FPS.
Any fans of Call Of Duty will certainly see the familiarity, but not the polish.

What's more terrifying than the encounters with the Xenos is how closely Colonial Marines echoes Rebellion's Alien VS Predator.
Like its cousin, it is all too happy to lean back on convention, rather than letting you sink your teeth into thr licence.

The game is all to quick to funnel you into gauntlet runs, hurtling you from point A to point B in a hail of bullets with a suspension of the creeping tension it should be feeding the player.
It's a shame, because when Colonial Marines pushes you into last stands with your back up against the wall, we get a glimpse of what could have been.

---
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls... it tolls for thee." - In memory of Chuck, the wisest boxcar hobo of all time from Telltale's The Walking Dead.
#86diggyfreshPosted 2/10/2013 5:32:31 PM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...
diggyfresh posted...

I don't claim to know everything about this game.

I also don't care what all the reviews are saying. You talk about cash in motivations? Reviews are bought and sold.

I don't work for Gearbox. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm working for someone lol. I do like conspiracy theories though.

You don't like FPS. That's OK. Does that result in this not being a sequel just because you don't like FPS games? Please explain that because I am too stupid to make that connection.

I got what I know about this game from youtube vids. A lot has leaked recently. And IGN had a 2 hour live stream of the game. Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/S-h2Gx1CHhQ

You will clearly see that this is a DIRECT SEQUEL to the movie Aliens.

>Who trusts reviews anyway!
>But heres a scripted 2 hour commercial you can TOTALLY trust from the most trustworthy (lmao) site, IGN

Ok, bro. Ok. Some people have to learn the hard way that western devs that only crank out fps games only care about cashing in on hype and ignorance of the consumers.

You've been warned of the games mediocrity. What you do after this point is all on you. So knock yourself out kiddo

OK I will take your warning. I'll rent it before I buy it. Party pooper.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#87MathewMansonPosted 2/10/2013 5:34:55 PM
Another reason why video games are turning to s***. Caring about graphics? Hell if the Wii U hadn't been released, I would have picked it up for my 360 and I wouldn't have cared to complain about graphics as graphics never bother me. Fanboys of graphics and power are ruining video games.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#88AsuirPosted 2/10/2013 5:36:30 PM
diggyfresh posted...

I also don't care what all the reviews are saying. You talk about cash in motivations? Reviews are bought and sold.

I don't work for Gearbox. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I'm working for someone lol. I do like conspiracy theories though.

You don't like FPS. That's OK. Does that result in this not being a sequel just because you don't like FPS games? Please explain that because I am too stupid to make that connection.

I got what I know about this game from youtube vids. A lot has leaked recently. And IGN had a 2 hour live stream of the game. Here's the link:

>But heres a scripted 2 hour commercial you can TOTALLY trust from the most trustworthy (lmao) site, IGN

Ok, bro. Ok. Some people have to learn the hard way that western devs that only crank out fps games only care about cashing in on hype and ignorance of the consumers.

You've been warned of the games mediocrity. What you do after this point is all on you. So knock yourself out kiddo

Greentexts and doesn't even know how to use greentext.

What a ******* joke.
---
Ftw!
#89diggyfreshPosted 2/10/2013 6:06:17 PM
Asuir posted...
diggyfresh posted...

What a ******* joke.

He has a valid point. Give him a break. This game could go either way. Rent before buy sounds about right.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#90GAMER_X_REVIVALPosted 2/11/2013 12:34:03 PM
Asuir posted...
diggyfresh posted...

What a ******* joke.

Your age is showing son

The use of ">" is not, and never has been, exclusive to /v/

Its been around since the earliest days of the internet, before proper message boards even existed. Its simply another way to type bullet points. I'm just used to using it, it has nothing to do with green text. I could of used " - " instead but I like the look of " > " instead.

Or did you think they put that key on the keyboard because of a petition from people that like math or 4chan?

Seriously, get out more. Your world is very small it seems.
---
Guardian Gamer X
"CE's verbal cruelty is only matched by an eight-armed robot beating multiple baby seals."-PursuitandTie