Can Nintendo survive with the same 25 year old franchises?

#21sentoworfPosted 2/9/2013 11:29:47 PM
Z_Zaw posted...
CranberryPSO posted...
Just once can we please have a topic where I don't hear someone say "Nintendrone", or "Sony Pony" or "Fanboy" or some other degrading term? Seriously, just once on this board I want to see that.

This is Gamefaqs, come on now.

Just look at the second post.
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#22Xx5ILLYR4BBITxXPosted 2/9/2013 11:31:09 PM
Actually im not really "worried" about the wii u it's just I want the new games to come out in november of this year not early next year etc.
---
My 5 Favortive Games of all time are 1) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. 2) Phantasy Star Online EP 1&2. 3) Star Ocean Till The End Of Time. 4) MGS 2 PS2. 5) FF 9
#23darkus_fPosted 2/9/2013 11:54:16 PM
Chocobo115 posted...
Sure, if the drones keep buying without ever looking over the fence to see what the other side has to offer.

Pretty much this.
NSMB2 is considered a cheap reash and PMST which lost all the qualities that made the RPG Marios awesome still sold millions. So...
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB Fav5: Punk, Cesaro, Ziggler, Reigns, Orton
#24knightimexPosted 2/9/2013 11:57:56 PM
lol what's wrong with nintendo IP games.

it's not like that's the only thing i'll buy.

look at halo, call of duty, madden.
same stuff over and over.

*shrugs*

if you like it play it.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#25ShinyToyPaladinPosted 2/10/2013 12:00:15 AM
I think the TC is asking a pretty valid question. Doesn't make him a Sony/Microsoft fanboy.

Me personally? I think Nintendo will obviously be fine, i just wish they would cut back on the Mario a bit. Mario this, Mario that, it's kind of annoying. I prefer some of the other IPs the big N has.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, I would love to see a new Kid Icarus game.
#26DarthFloatyPosted 2/10/2013 12:04:56 AM
They'll survive AND prosper as long as gaming does if they continue to make the constant, high quality games they've made for 25+ years. What franchises they are, old or new, doesn't matter. They'll continue to do both.
#27AkaneJonesPosted 2/10/2013 3:45:11 AM
Hum...
Pikmin? Kirby? Super Smash Bros.? Star Fox? Animal Crossing? Pokemon? Wario? Yoshi? Oh wait their oldest is 20 years. Forget this topic there is nothing to see here.
#28noutBrPosted 2/10/2013 4:14:40 AM
Murderstorm117 posted...
I mean nintendo has had alot of success in the past with these games but I think time finally caught up to them. Lets face it these games really haven't evolved very much over the years. Zelda is still the same dungeons and items while mario is still just the same levels and power ups. Microsoft and Sony have had alot of new franchises this gen and nintendo hasn't shown much effort yet. just same blah blah zelda mario mario kart are coming soon.

Implying that Nintendo can't or won't implement change or innovate in the next iterations of any of their franchises is ignorant. Not only has Nintendo already shown in the past that they are perfectly capable of straying from the norm or the classic path in franchises like Mario, Metroid and Kirby but they also keep producing new franchises every now and then.

Many of the new franchises they made last generation were aimed at casual gamers but they were NEW. There are also franchises that saw heavy changes like Metroid>Metroid Prime and there are tons of existing franchises that Nintendo loves to ignore. So it seems that Nintendo already has created so many franchises that it can't keep up with them anymore, I'm still waiting for a long time on a new F-Zero, 1080, Waverace, Starfox Earthbound just to name a few!

The only franchise that grew stale with the last iteration is Zelda and even that game was pretty well received by professional reviewers and many gamers alike. I personally felt the game was too heavy on the "been there, done that" stuff so that's really the only franchise they need to take a good look at. The funny thing is that in the last Nintendo Direct, Aonuma himself has said a few things about the Wii U Zelda project they are working on and it appears they will definitely stray from that classic formula in this one.
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#29WalkiethrougiePosted 2/10/2013 9:29:14 AM
Chocobo115 posted...
Sure, if the drones keep buying without ever looking over the fence to see what the other side has to offer.

Once I was going to go over the fence, but then I was like better not.
---
Sony and Microsoft fight over who's boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is all about having fun with them. ;)
#30SkyCrackersPosted 2/10/2013 9:49:23 AM(edited)
Murderstorm117 posted...
Lets face it these games really haven't evolved very much over the years. Zelda is still the same dungeons and items while mario is still just the same levels and power ups.

Lol, If you're only counting the (at this point stale) NSMB games, then yeah, Mario is "the same levels and power-ups", but you're completely disregarding the extremely innovative Galaxy games. It seems like people who throw such criticisms at Nintendo haven't played any of their best games.

And I wouldn't say Zelda uses the same items, I mean, Skyward Sword did a good job of shaking up the item selection. In my opinion, Zelda is definitely not a stagnant series, either. I was really impressed with how fresh Skyward Sword felt. Not that the game's perfect, it had some big flaws in it's execution. But stagnation was the least of my concerns.

And that's not even mentioning their more unique games like Kid Icarus: Uprising. Or Pikmin. Of course, those games don't come out anywhere near as often as Mario. But my point stands.
---
Mario vs. Donkey Kong is a hideously underrated game.