What I would've done differently with the Wii U

#1Warmonger222Posted 2/9/2013 7:01:27 PM
To start this topic off, I would like to say that I own a Wii U and love it, and have recommended it to friends (left the gamepad charger at friends house, so unfortunately cant play it right now) and even convinced one of my friends (that doesnt like nintendo much, to boot) to get one. Nintendo corrected tons of issues from the Wii and I look forward to the future of the console. That being said, I think they made some terrible choices with the console, and I'm going to list off what I would've done differently. I'm not a professional on this, so don't flame me like I'm saying the console is terrible and would make a terrible hardware developer. Lets get started.

1. Make Nintendo Network better
Nintendo took some major steps in improving their online from the Wii, but with how bad it was, thats not saying much. The console is missing party chat, cross game chat, and join game. I know the online can be improved through updates, but it should have had all of these features at launch, especcially since it essentially had a cheat sheet with the other consoles. And another minor complaint is that pretty much all account based features are on the miiverse, making the friends list virtually useless. Honestly, Nintendo Network as it is now should've been the Wii's online system (although obviously it would have to be retconned a bit)

2. Achievement System
I'm sure you're scoffing already, but hear me out. While I don't care much for achievements, I think that when done right they can add to a game. The achievement system I have in mind would basically be like in Brawl or Kid Icarus, but unified to the system, prehaps giving system wide rewards as well as ingame, and also contributing to some sort of score. There is also a topic about a really neat achievement sytem here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/65396085

3. Start development earlier
I feel like the system is rushed. The OS is slow, theres a Day 1 update, the virtual Console STILL isnt up, Nintendo TVii wasnt available at launch...I know releasing later would give them less of a headstart, but they should've started development earlier.

4. Market it better
First off, and I know this is definitely agree or disagree, but if you want to get sales on your new console that you want to be seen as more desirable to the core gamer, DONT CALL IT BY THE SAME NAME!!! I know some may disagree, but whenever I talk about the Wii U around my friends that arent Nintendo fans, they all treat it like its the same as the Wii. The Wii brand isnt very powerful anymore, and Nintendo shouldve realized this with the low sales of the Wii for like the past year. And in terms of advertising, I have seen only one commercial, and the console is only shown at the end! The controller is cool, but quit acting like its the new motion control! This is why some people don't realize this is a new console (although that is partially consumer stupidity, as most people I know at least know what the console is when I mention it.

These are my main annoyances with the console, although there are some minor issues that I dont feel like writhing a whole paragraph on each such as

-Digital triggers (although this problem is blown out of proportion)
-Accounts tied to the system (Although this is blown even further out of proportion)

This is just my two cents. What do you guys think?
---
CoD claims to be M for Mature, but it is really M for Manchildren - Emerald_Melios
#2king_zettaPosted 2/9/2013 7:23:53 PM
Not make a piece of crap that is barely on par with 7 year old machines? That's what I would have done.
#3DiscostewSMPosted 2/9/2013 7:31:32 PM
Start development earlier? You mean to tell me starting development right after the previous generation of hardware launches isn't early enough?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#4Wiiplayer111Posted 2/9/2013 7:36:07 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
Start development earlier? You mean to tell me starting development right after the previous generation of hardware launches isn't early enough?

This answers number 3.

The first two could be patched in, when the other companies started out their online there wasn't good either. And the fourth could happen at any time.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#5Warmonger222(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 7:42:15 PM
DiscostewSM posted...

While I know they started development then, did they actually start building and programming the console very shortly after? I don't think so, although possibly. I would imagine they didnt really start to actually program the software until at least 2011 a few months before E3 (but this is just a rough estimate, dont hold me to it).
---
CoD claims to be M for Mature, but it is really M for Manchildren - Emerald_Melios
#6mini_blightPosted 2/9/2013 7:42:46 PM
king_zetta posted...
Not make a piece of crap that is barely on par with 7 year old machines? That's what I would have done.

According to one of the biggest Sony fans here, the PS4 will also be barely above 7 year old machines.
#7king_zettaPosted 2/9/2013 7:44:56 PM
mini_blight posted...
king_zetta posted...

According to one of the biggest Sony fans here, the PS4 will also be barely above 7 year old machines.

Atlease it will be above and not under
#8iKhanicPosted 2/9/2013 7:50:58 PM
I sort of agree with you except for the achievement system. But I think the one nail in the coffin that's hurting the Wii U right now is a lack of strong exclusive titles. That's really the key here. New Super Mario Bros. is not a highly anticipated series, nor is NintendoLand an anticipated game.

If you compare this with Twilight Princess, a game that had been hyped for 2 years, and Super Mario 64, a game considered one of the greatest ever, the Wii U doesn't have the games to make people run out and buy it. While no one buys a console just for one game, very often one game is what triggers the purchase, and the Wii U doesn't have that trigger.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#9DiscostewSMPosted 2/9/2013 7:54:05 PM
king_zetta posted...
mini_blight posted...
king_zetta posted...

Atlease it will be above and not under

So, developers made absolutely no progress in improving their games during the 7 years that the 360 and PS3 were available, and that games back at those launches looked and played just as good as games now? You're basically saying that if you think the Wii U is barely on par with 7 year old hardware.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#10diggyfreshPosted 2/9/2013 7:55:27 PM
I agree that Wii U is a terrible name.

At least call it Wii 2, or Super Wii, or something so people know it's a new console.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade