3 things you would have done for Wii U's launch if you owned Nintendo

#1HerPandaPosted 2/9/2013 9:44:06 PM
1. Gamecube Virtual Console day 1 with
-Melee + online multiplayer
-F-Zero GX + online multiplayer
-Wind Waker

2. Change launch lineup to be smaller, but more exclusives.

3D Mario
ZombiU
Super Scribblenauts (pay for temp exlusive to Wii U for 1 year)
Mother Trilogy Remake (changing whatever is keeping it from coming stateside)
Mach Rider reboot (think GTA styled game. Replayability is key.)
Black Ops 2
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
NG3:RE
Darksiders 2/Assassin's Creed 3 (either would do)
Nintendo Land (pre-installed onto every launch Wii U)

Delay everything else to trickle out month by month, or put out one GCN VC a month instead. Monster Hunter still in March. Pikmin/W101 in Summer. NSMBU by winter.

3. Fix the demo kiosk
-If no one is playing, it plays trailers instead of doing nothing.
-More demos...especially for Nintendo Land and Tekken.

Tah-dah. I think Melee/F-Zero ports with online were really all that were needed to grab the "core" base right away though. They would have kept everyone busy during down times.
#2P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/9/2013 9:46:18 PM
I can't think of anything short of delaying it's launch
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#3ChiggaMuskPosted 2/9/2013 9:46:36 PM
I dig it. That would have been fantastic. Although, I believe that they did just fine. Every new console starts off a bit rough around the edges. It takes time to smooth it out.
#4VoelgerPosted 2/9/2013 9:50:27 PM
I love your ideas, but there unrealistic.

What I would have done, and it is completely realistic
1. Launch Wii U as Wii 2
2. Launched 1 model at 350$, but with Mario U not Nintendo Land.
3. Have Virtual Console ready and begin releasing games slowly- maybe three or four a week. Include GameCube games.
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#5ninto55Posted 2/9/2013 9:55:18 PM
Releasing more games at launch would either mean worse games or delaying the WiiU launch. Nintendo wanted to make it in before the holidays so everyone had time to buy if before notreligousspecificholiday. And they wanted it out this year to get a year start on the other consoles. We (We being Nintendo) don't know what Sony and Microsoft have planned for 2013.

A gamecube emulator for virtual console would do the same. And online mode would be weird. I guess they could set it up like a party netplay system.

If you've ever played an emulator online (I'll use an N64 emulator for this example) it could work like that. I can set up a server and my friends connect to my IP. Then it works like we're all just playing on one console. That could work for online without interfering with the games any. The problem is is that this can be very difficult to program, and many emulators will desync and everything just goes to hell from there.

Nintendo could definatly work around this, it would just take a bit of time. And again, launch schedule. They were putting all of their man power into the WiiU OS, it's channels, and they didn't have the WiiU people to work on anything else. (The people making the game are a seperate group of people, designated to the games)

This is what they could do. Mass cannot be created, it can only be transfered. To make one area ofthe launch better, others must suffer.
---
Every Pony is best Pony, Fluttershy is just my favorite.
"This game tastes like the future." Roo
#6ninto55Posted 2/9/2013 9:58:24 PM(edited)
Voelger posted...

1. Launch Wii U as Wii 2

Because, you know, it isn't confusing enough for the casual gamer to tell the difference between the Wii and WiiU.

And that'd just make hardcore games stay away too. Nintendo did an awful job naming the WiiU, but the Wii2 would be worse for every reason the WiiU is bad.

Edit: Actually scratch that. Right when I finished posting I thought about the PS2. I guess naming it Wii2 would have been better, people would realize it is the sequel to the Wii and they must buy it as a whole new console.

Still wouldn't help the 'hardcore' audience much more, though.
---
#7HerPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:12:01 PM
Voelger posted...
I love your ideas, but there unrealistic.

Thanks. I think the only thing really unrealistic are the 1st party games and day 1 GC VC, but if it was me I would have pumped money into those waaaaaay ahead of time. 3D Mario is a little out of reach though, true.

And yeah, naming it Wii 2 or something was tied with fixing the kiosk for me. But that demo unit...<_< *shudders*
#8myusernameislamePosted 2/9/2013 10:19:59 PM
1. No basic bundle
2. Have Nintendo Land playable demo in stores
3. Advertise the heck out of Zombi U and NSMBU
---
If you refuse to take your sig from someone else, put this in your sig.
#9ninto55Posted 2/9/2013 10:23:07 PM
I never got a chance to see a demo kiosk. I was in a gamestop once before I got a WiiU, they had a little setup with the gamepad so you could hold it and control through the menus with it, but all it did was play trailers of the games. Kind of a let down.

I assumed there had been actual demo units somewhere, but I had never heard anyone complain about them. I would've assumed they'd throw 2 or 3 games from Nintendo Land in there and like 3 levels from MarioU.
---
#10HerPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 10:43:06 PM
ninto55 posted...
I never got a chance to see a demo kiosk. I was in a gamestop once before I got a WiiU, they had a little setup with the gamepad so you could hold it and control through the menus with it, but all it did was play trailers of the games. Kind of a let down.

That's the demo kiosk, which is why it's pretty bad. There IS one demo on it for Rayman last I checked, but you have to scroll all the way back to find it.