The Gamepad makes so much sense when I think about it

#1iKhanicPosted 2/9/2013 10:52:13 PM
Back before E3 2012, I thought the Gamepad was a really stupid gimmick that would just make gameplay confusing. After E3 2012 and beyond, I have realized that it is the logical next step in gaming. If you look at the handheld/iPhone market, which is a lot bigger than the home console anyway, everything is moving towards touch screen/Accelerometer/Gyroscope controls. Because Nintendo is a pure gaming company, and it is in their interest to keep the Home console business as innovative as possible so that it can stay alive in a world of iPhones, iPads, and high powered Computers, they incorporated such controls into their Home console. So when you think about it the Gamepad was the best direction to go for Nintendo in this generation.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2ixoriaPosted 2/9/2013 10:53:35 PM
It's still a stupid gimmick. It's useless and it drains too much battery.
#3DTY3Posted 2/9/2013 10:54:06 PM
Yeah it was a pretty cool move by Nintendo.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#4mmarksterPosted 2/9/2013 10:56:57 PM
I agree. I can't put this controller down! Off TV play, HUD-less play, universal remote, TV Guide, has Nintendo set the new standard for video game controllers?
---
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 1032 - 1243 - 4711 Name/NNID/XBLGT/PSNID: mmarkster
#5omescythePosted 2/9/2013 10:58:56 PM
all the wii u is a console version of the ds. sure its a smart move to take whats popular tables and make that your controller but it just seams cheap to call it an innovation.
#6iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:01:19 PM
omescythe posted...
all the wii u is a console version of the ds. sure its a smart move to take whats popular tables and make that your controller but it just seams cheap to call it an innovation.

Yeah, its almost like if they made a giant iPod touch and called it innovation. oh wait...
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#7FlyinTonitePosted 2/9/2013 11:05:36 PM
iKhanic posted...
omescythe posted...

Yeah, its almost like if they made a giant iPod touch and called it innovation. oh wait...

TBH the ipad mini is probably the biggest joke apple has released lately. I
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#8SlimeSwayzePosted 2/9/2013 11:09:02 PM
I'm looking forward to playing with the Gamepad when I pick up the new Wii U bundle, but I'm 100% certain it's not the next step in gaming. A controller will never be "the next step" in gaming. Honestly, most of the games I've considered to be truly revolutionary and/or transcendent in recent years have been games with traditional controls, and a lot of these have been indie games on the PC.

Talented devs and storytellers have all the tools they need with a traditional controller or mouse/keyboard set-up to move gaming forward.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#9iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:29:54 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
I'm looking forward to playing with the Gamepad when I pick up the new Wii U bundle, but I'm 100% certain it's not the next step in gaming. A controller will never be "the next step" in gaming. Honestly, most of the games I've considered to be truly revolutionary and/or transcendent in recent years have been games with traditional controls, and a lot of these have been indie games on the PC.

Talented devs and storytellers have all the tools they need with a traditional controller or mouse/keyboard set-up to move gaming forward.

But there is a difference between just being innovative, and doing taking the next step to sustain the industry.

The video game industry right now lies at a point where it is threatened mobile devices and could very soon face steep competition from computers. Nintendo took the correct next step in the sense that they came up with a way to reconcile more modern ways to play with traditional gaming. Games might to incredibly novel things, but that won't add innovation to what the industry is.
---
#10SlimeSwayzePosted 2/9/2013 11:36:39 PM
iKhanic posted...
But there is a difference between just being innovative, and doing taking the next step to sustain the industry.

The video game industry right now lies at a point where it is threatened mobile devices and could very soon face steep competition from computers. Nintendo took the correct next step in the sense that they came up with a way to reconcile more modern ways to play with traditional gaming. Games might to incredibly novel things, but that won't add innovation to what the industry is.

All due respect, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that videogames are threatened by computers? Some of the best games ever made are only available, or are best played, on a computer.

And I still think that the vast majority of truly innovative games that have come out in the last 10 years have been games that are played with traditional controls. I don't see that changing.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.