The Gamepad makes so much sense when I think about it

#11iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 11:51:50 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
iKhanic posted...
But there is a difference between just being innovative, and doing taking the next step to sustain the industry.

The video game industry right now lies at a point where it is threatened mobile devices and could very soon face steep competition from computers. Nintendo took the correct next step in the sense that they came up with a way to reconcile more modern ways to play with traditional gaming. Games might to incredibly novel things, but that won't add innovation to what the industry is.

All due respect, but I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying that videogames are threatened by computers? Some of the best games ever made are only available, or are best played, on a computer.

And I still think that the vast majority of truly innovative games that have come out in the last 10 years have been games that are played with traditional controls. I don't see that changing.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I think video game consoles are heavily threatened by mobile devices and are on the verge of being threatened by computers. Because computers are growing in power so quickly, and you can very easily buy a traditional controller for your computer. What I'm saying is that home consoles needed an innovation along the lines of the Gamepad to stay alive, and to better separate themselves from computers and mobile devices.

Video games themselves are doing fine, and I agree that a lot of innovation can happen with traditional controls there, although MCs and touch controls allow for some interesting things as well.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#12SlimeSwayzePosted 2/10/2013 12:01:53 AM
I hear you, though I still think that the traditional controller provides everything we need to make amazing and innovative games.

That said, I am interested in seeing how Nintendo can evolve the concept of "asymmetrical" multiplayer with the Wii U. As someone who has been trying for a long time to get his girlfriend into gaming, I'm excited to see how the gamepad will help bring non-gamers into the mix. One of the reasons I'm getting the new bundle is so that we can play ZombiU together. She's a fan of zombie fiction and she sounded excited about the multiplayer in that game. Hopefully we see more stuff like that moving forward.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#13PSOLavisPosted 2/10/2013 12:09:12 AM
First off the gamepad is a gimmick. Gimmick does not automatically have a negative connotation attached to it like many try to claim. Second, the gamepad is interesting and in some games could enhance the fun of a game. But, like the ds's touch screen I would not be surprised if it is practically unused in most games, and if used at all causes more hassle than good. Few companies like to properly utilize what is avalaible to them *couch* dark dawn. Finally, while it is interesting, the battery life is so horrendous that it is practically required that it be plugged in at all times. As well if I break my ps3 controller I'm out like $30. I assume same with xbox, and my pro controller was something like $40. If I break my Gaming keyboard that's $100...quite a lot to replace for most. If I break my gamepad...goodbye $160.
#14SlimeSwayzePosted 2/10/2013 12:15:53 AM
Speaking of Ganepad battery life, I don;t own a Wii U yet, and I was wondering if the Gamepad can use regular batteries? I'm always been a fan of rechargeable batteries, which is one of the reason I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 controller. So, can I use rechargeable batteries in a Wii U controller, or does it have an internal battery that must be recharged, like the PS3?
---
#15PSOLavisPosted 2/10/2013 12:17:53 AM
it is internal, 10 seconds searching on google would teach you that y z a l
#16iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 12:21:32 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Speaking of Ganepad battery life, I don;t own a Wii U yet, and I was wondering if the Gamepad can use regular batteries? I'm always been a fan of rechargeable batteries, which is one of the reason I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 controller. So, can I use rechargeable batteries in a Wii U controller, or does it have an internal battery that must be recharged, like the PS3?

I'm probably alone on this, but I actually wish it were a wired controller. Dealing with batteries, whether they are external or rechargeable, is annoying for me to the point that I'd just prefer a wired controller.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#17SlimeSwayzePosted 2/10/2013 12:23:53 AM
PSOLavis posted...

You're right, but **** google. I still interacting with people, even if it's on a message board.
---
#18PSOLavisPosted 2/10/2013 12:27:26 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
PSOLavis posted...

You're right, but **** google. I still interacting with people, even if it's on a message board.

You are one sad sad little man. y z a r c
#19SlimeSwayzePosted 2/10/2013 1:51:00 AM
PSOLavis posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...
PSOLavis posted...

You are one sad sad little man. y z a r c

Have you been playing a lot of Prince of Persia 2008 lately?
---