Did Ubisoft make the right decision?

#31Xeeh_BitzPosted 2/10/2013 10:04:47 AM
Jobocan posted...
Of course Ubisoft didn't make the right decision.
Releasing the Wii U version now as originally planned would have actually boosted the sales of the PS3 and 360 versions due to, you know, good press from all the Wii U fans talking about how great it is, all the while they would have made the sales higher on the Wii U version since no one would boycott it and the lack of any other games to buy right now would make a huge sales boost for the Wii U version. Oh, and releasing it during the most competitive time of the year, I wonder what idiot made that brilliant move.

They couldn't have ever made a worst decision.

No, part of huge sales is hype from the game. If it's already released on another console and it's been out for awhile the hype will die down by then and then the game will be "OLD". People will have a chance to play it over at friends and then the copies of the game will get circulated around as used, thus removing more potential sales.

The best bet is a global release of all console versions to remove any second hand play and to maximize sales, most games sell the most during the first couple of months. They obviously know this, hence the reason for the Wii U delay.
---
To be fair, the bible has more plot holes than ME3. I wouldn't be listening either - Pies12
#32EoinPosted 2/10/2013 10:08:50 AM
Houndour posted...
Why? It's a feasible point about Rockstar as well.

Well, any point about people not wanting to launch against Rockstar is completely disproven by historical examples of many companies launching against Rockstar. The reality is that publishers will launch whenever they feel their game will sell most, and although competition from other game launches is a factor in that, it's far from the only factor. Ubisoft aren't stupid...(probably, let's wait and see anyway) - they are perfectly aware that GTAV is launching in September and they've chosen that time anyway, despite you contesting that nobody would want to do that.
#33HoundourPosted 2/10/2013 10:23:03 AM(edited)
Eoin posted...
Houndour posted...
Why? It's a feasible point about Rockstar as well.

Well, any point about people not wanting to launch against Rockstar is completely disproven by historical examples of many companies launching against Rockstar. The reality is that publishers will launch whenever they feel their game will sell most, and although competition from other game launches is a factor in that, it's far from the only factor. Ubisoft aren't stupid...(probably, let's wait and see anyway) - they are perfectly aware that GTAV is launching in September and they've chosen that time anyway, despite you contesting that nobody would want to do that.

History shows Rockstar isn't who they were before from today. They were still a rising company along with all the other studios. San Andreas was a cutting edge game, but the difference is that there were many other studios who felt the same about their games. GTA IV was different though. There really wasn't any game that could challenge it financially. The two games you mentioned sold decent because they were exclusive to their respective platforms.

I can guarentee no company would want to announce their release date near GTA V's date.
---
I LOVE METAL
#34OoSubaruoOPosted 2/10/2013 10:24:19 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#35coriander36Posted 2/10/2013 10:26:24 AM
My question is: How would releasing the the Wii U version first, negatively affect sales on Wii U or the other consoles? They can still advertise it later if they want, when it's out for PS360.
#36EoinPosted 2/10/2013 10:35:05 AM
Houndour posted...
History shows Rockstar isn't who they were before from today. They were still a rising company along with all the other studios.

That's an interesting spin on history. Rockstar were still a "rising company" that other publishers wouldn't worry too much about, up until they released GTAIII. After that, GTA games were universally recognised as a powerhouse franchise. Vice City was one of the most hyped games of all time. So was San Andreas. San Andreas sold 21.5m copies - you're trying to say that GTAIV was in a completely different league to it, but it sold 25m - comparable numbers, possibly driven higher by the lack of any GTA release since 2008.

Houndour posted...
I can guarentee no company would want to announce their release date near GTA V's date.

I am curious why you're attempting to guarantee something won't happen when not only has it happened, but the fact that it happened is also what this topic is discussing.
#37AsuirPosted 2/10/2013 10:37:22 AM
Eoin posted...
Houndour posted...
History shows Rockstar isn't who they were before from today. They were still a rising company along with all the other studios.

That's an interesting spin on history. Rockstar were still a "rising company" that other publishers wouldn't worry too much about, up until they released GTAIII. After that, GTA games were universally recognised as a powerhouse franchise. Vice City was one of the most hyped games of all time. So was San Andreas. San Andreas sold 21.5m copies - you're trying to say that GTAIV was in a completely different league to it, but it sold 25m - comparable numbers, possibly driven higher by the lack of any GTA release since 2008.

Houndour posted...

I am curious why you're attempting to guarantee something won't happen when not only has it happened, but the fact that it happened is also what this topic is discussing.

Why is he still arguing a failed point? Because he doesn't want to admit he's wrong. Just nod and move on.
---
Ftw!
#38P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/10/2013 10:37:56 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
There's no way that this will do better being held back.

Option 1: Release on schedule for the Wii U and bring ports in due time
-Release in February during a heavy drought to thirsty gamers
-Keep good relations with Nintendo and the fans you promised the game to at a certain date
-Spread the game to others so that they may enjoy it as well

Option 2: Delay the game 2 weeks before release just so you can port it regardless of it being finished
-release after e3 with news of big titles circling the media
-release alongside the fanfare of Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, GTAV, etc
-release to angry gamers and negative feedback for being forced to wait for an already complete game

Their decision is terrible business sense.

---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#39EoinPosted 2/10/2013 10:38:54 AM
coriander36 posted...
My question is: How would releasing the the Wii U version first, negatively affect sales on Wii U or the other consoles? They can still advertise it later if they want, when it's out for PS360.

- A simultaneous release in September allows for a single marketing campaign instead of two separate campaigns.

- Holding off the Wii U release ensures that when it does release on Wii U, the Wii U has a larger userbase.

- A negative reception on Wii U in February would kill sales on the PS3 and 360.

- Even a positive reception on Wii U in February may make PS3/360 owners look at Rayman Legends in September and think "old".

and lastly, something very few people seem to be considering, and which might not be something Ubisoft intended, but.....

- delaying now results in Wii U owners posting all over the place about Rayman Legends, spreading lots of word of mouth and perhaps making people curious about the game. I wonder how many people heard about Rayman Legends for the first time in the past few days....
#40swordzaPosted 2/10/2013 10:42:12 AM
Asuir posted...
Eoin posted...
Houndour posted...

Houndour posted...

Why is he still arguing a failed point? Because he doesn't want to admit he's wrong. Just nod and move on.

The rule of GameFAQs: No one is right, and no one is wrong.
---
One time, my mind wandered, then it never came back.