The one thing I want the Monolith Soft WiiU game to have....

#1theofficefan99Posted 2/10/2013 10:39:55 AM
want this game to have a few pre-rendered CGI cinematics.

I'm playing Xenoblade right now and while it's an excellent game, I really think the game could have used at least a few CGI cutscenes, even though the game allows you to change costumes. Just think of Resonance of Fate. Even though the game shows costume changes in cutscenes, the game still showed the characters in CGI for the game's opening, and the game had an ending CGI cutscene as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJrpl8yoOo

The thing is that Xenoblade has ugly faces for its characters, and I would have loved to see Shulk and the rest in some amazing Final Fantasy-esque CGI, even if it was only for the opening.

And obviously, there are some amazing large-scaled scenes in Xenoblade as well, and while they look pretty nice, it can look a little subpar at times, and I wish that Monolith used some CGI for some of the bigger scenes.

Take a look at Xenosaga Episode II, for instance. After a certain boss fight, it immediately switches to CGI for an amazing large-scaled event.

****MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR XENOSAGA EPISODE II*****
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085YG-1kMQ4

I would have liked to see Xenoblade have some CGI like this, even though it doesn't show any characters. This is still nice to have.

Hell, The Last Story does the same thing. It shows all of your armor and equipment changes in cutscenes, but it still shows all of the characters in CGI before you can change their costumes, it shows some characters in CGI during flashbacks, you can see certain characters not of your party in CGI cutscenes, and there are some CGI cutscenes that don't show any characters at all, and I thought this was handled quite nicely in this game, as well.

While this game looks gorgeous, the faces are still, to be frank, ugly, and I'd love to see the characters in some CGI for this reason.

Anyone else agree, or no?
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#2LemonKweenstaaaPosted 2/10/2013 10:47:42 AM
Nah, I prefer in-game cutscenes.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
http://i45.tinypic.com/35i4xlc.jpg
#3AsuirPosted 2/10/2013 10:53:03 AM
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
Nah, I prefer in-game cutscenes.

Yeah, I definitely prefer in-game cutscenes as well.
---
Ftw!
#4theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 10:55:31 AM
I don't.

I don't have a problem with in-game cutscenes, but CGI cutscenes are a nice reward for me, and when a game uses CGI, when a character pops into my head, I like to imagine their CGI model rather than their in-game model.

I mean, it's cool that you guys prefer in-game cutscenes, but I just personally do not understand it. CGI eye-candy is always a big plus for me and a lot of other people.
---
"Dyin' is easy. It's the livin' that's hard..." Grim Reaper, Maximo vs. The Army of Zin
#5LemonKweenstaaaPosted 2/10/2013 10:56:45 AM
I don't like the artifacts.
---
Official Orange Sherbet of the IDF
http://i45.tinypic.com/35i4xlc.jpg
#6theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 11:00:46 AM(edited)
LemonKweenstaaa posted...
I don't like the artifacts.

Well it shouldn't a problem in crystal-clear HD. Just look at dem CGI cutscenes in Final Fantasy XIII. Super high quality.

I understand what you're saying, though. The artifacts in some games with CGI from last gen (along with the Wii) are very noticeable, but those are basically non-existent now, as CGI is crystal clear.
---
#7BeanBeanKingdomPosted 2/10/2013 11:01:05 AM
CGI is fine as long as its style is not too different from the game's normal graphics, but Xenoblade made a point not to use them because of accounted wardrobe changes like you said, so if X is going to follow suit, it probably won't have them either. Although I suppose it wouldn't be too tough to put some CGI into scenes like flashbacks or Gear fights. I mean, imagine that iconic scene from Xenogears where Weltall-Id is seemingly crushed by the Yggdrasill but then raises it with one hand. Since no character is directly shown in such a scene, it could be done in CGI and look pretty darn good.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#8theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 11:11:17 AM(edited)
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
CGI is fine as long as its style is not too different from the game's normal graphics, but Xenoblade made a point not to use them because of accounted wardrobe changes like you said, so if X is going to follow suit, it probably won't have them either. Although I suppose it wouldn't be too tough to put some CGI into scenes like flashbacks or Gear fights. I mean, imagine that iconic scene from Xenogears where Weltall-Id is seemingly crushed by the Yggdrasill but then raises it with one hand. Since no character is directly shown in such a scene, it could be done in CGI and look pretty darn good.

Yes, exactly my point.

And as I said before, they can show the characters in CGI before you have the ability to change their appearance. And you can also show characters that aren't party members in CGI, and you can have CGI cutscenes with no characters at all, just like in The Last Story. And if there are any moments where characters are forced to wear a certain costume, they can show them in CGI there, as well. See what I'm saying? There are many ways to get around this costume thing.
---
#9theofficefan99(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 12:00:55 PM
bump!
---
#1040DribylfPosted 2/10/2013 12:22:51 PM
Eh. CGI isn't necessary anymore and I find them a huge waste of time to watch and a waste of money. They're superfluous in nature.

But hey if you like them, go you.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990