If neither Sony nor Microsoft copy Nintendo with putting a screen on the remote

#1Shovel_BreakPosted 2/11/2013 10:24:32 AM
Can we deem the Wii U's gamepad as a failed gimmick? I think if it were something successful then the competition would copy it or see it as a must have on their system to compete
---
May 7th 2013 - Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us"
Gaming will reach a new level (Only on PlayStation)
#2b1gt0nePosted 2/11/2013 10:25:57 AM
Next Dualshock = fail
Kinect = fail
#3darkqueenhelbaPosted 2/11/2013 10:26:23 AM
Well they need SOMETHING for their next consoles. Maybe not necessarily copying but something to push the device. Better graphics and additional services isn't going to cut it this time around.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#4nickvd8Posted 2/11/2013 10:26:48 AM
I think it's safe to say Sony will follow suit. After all, don't they always?
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#5kissdadookiePosted 2/11/2013 10:29:08 AM
Shovel_Break posted...
Can we deem the Wii U's gamepad as a failed gimmick? I think if it were something successful then the competition would copy it or see it as a must have on their system to compete

Not necessarily. The difference here is that Sony and MS does not need to build the screen into a controller. They already have devices or platforms to support this secondary screen gameplay. Sony has been able to do this since the PSP days. MS is able to do this via Windows Phone and Windows 8.

The ridiculous assumption is that Nintendo somehow invented the secondary screen gameplay idea. They didn't. If anything, secondary screens really started gaining traction when the iPad came to market and people started to supplement their TV viewing with a iPad on the couch or coffee table. If anything, everybody is trying to copy the iPad + TV habits that people started adopting since the iPad came out, but they aren't really copying anything because it was obvious how important secondary screens play into big screen content consumption as soon as the iPad came out. I mean, seriously geeky folks have been sitting in front of TV's with their laptops on hand for years now. Just a natural evolution of things.
#6darkqueenhelbaPosted 2/11/2013 10:30:40 AM
kissdadookie posted...
Shovel_Break posted...

Not necessarily. The difference here is that Sony and MS does not need to build the screen into a controller. They already have devices or platforms to support this secondary screen gameplay. Sony has been able to do this since the PSP days. MS is able to do this via Windows Phone and Windows 8.

The ridiculous assumption is that Nintendo somehow invented the secondary screen gameplay idea. They didn't. If anything, secondary screens really started gaining traction when the iPad came to market and people started to supplement their TV viewing with a iPad on the couch or coffee table. If anything, everybody is trying to copy the iPad + TV habits that people started adopting since the iPad came out, but they aren't really copying anything because it was obvious how important secondary screens play into big screen content consumption as soon as the iPad came out. I mean, seriously geeky folks have been sitting in front of TV's with their laptops on hand for years now. Just a natural evolution of things.

DS, that's all I'm going to say.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#7nickvd8Posted 2/11/2013 10:30:44 AM
kissdadookie posted...
Shovel_Break posted...

Lol, GBA connecting to the Gamecube came long before the PSP connected to the PS3. Nice try though.
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#8ChipChippersonPosted 2/11/2013 10:35:34 AM
Not right out of the gate but if the U starts selling like gangbusters I expect Sony to dust off some old patents or prototypes and claim they meant to do it all along.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#9sonicsonicPosted 2/11/2013 10:38:22 AM
nickvd8 posted...
kissdadookie posted...
Shovel_Break posted...

Lol, GBA connecting to the Gamecube came long before the PSP connected to the PS3. Nice try though.

Pokemon Stadium even had it on the N64.

Face it folks. Nintendo did it first. The SNES even kinda had DLC. Any folks heard of the Satellaview ?
#10genlockPosted 2/11/2013 10:39:28 AM
No. Two reasons.

1. They can't copy Nintendo because this has already been around for a while before that.
2. It would have zero to do with the success of the WiiU screen. That success will be determined by how it gets utilized, and we are quite some time away from being able to reasonably start to make that determination - probably 2-3 years.
---
Are we not drawn onward, we few? Drawn onward to new era?