Nintendo's hard path to third-party support in 2013

#1Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 2/11/2013 11:38:29 AM
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/186368/Nintendos_hard_path_to_thirdparty_support_in_2013.php#.URk4CmccU_5

With Nintendo's Wii U finally on store shelves, the company has a brief window during 2013 when it can lay sole claim to the "next-generation console" moniker.

In a few short week, both Sony and Microsoft will make announcements for their next iterations of video game hardware, but these systems likely won't be in consumer hands until October, at the earliest. For the majority of the year the Wii U should technically be the system to watch.

Regrettably, during what should be a honeymoon period, Nintendo is beset by troubling stories on all fronts. I wrote in January that the number of titles scheduled for release through the beginning of March seemed low, even though the system did launch with a large number of titles in November. In the company's third fiscal quarter briefing a few days later, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata addressed this very aspect of their business, saying "because of some delays on the development side, we were unable to continuously supply [Wii U] software at the beginning of this calendar year."

On the technical side, Nintendo has been cagey about the full Wii U specifications but the investigators at Eurogamers' Digital Foundry believe that new high-resolution shots of the hardware inside the system "finally rule out any next-gen pretensions for the Wii U." In other words, the Wii U could still be a step behind in terms of processing power when newer systems from Microsoft and Sony launch later this year (though that didn't hurt the Wii so much, at least for its first few years on the market).

Much more at the link. Some very good analysis backed up with charts and numbers. Don't read if you are sensitive about Nintendo not doing so well.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://i46.tinypic.com/b83ehv.gif
#2ADHDguitarPosted 2/11/2013 11:41:16 AM
If they can build a moderately sizable install base, the support will come. In this day and age, it makes no sense for publishers not to put their game on EVERYTHING.

(As seen with the likes of Rayman and D-Souls)
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3zalmutePosted 2/11/2013 11:42:27 AM
i think ninendo should just say me first with their consoles. Launch with huge games like mario 64 for the n64. Launch with more than 2 games though but launch big non-the less.
---
IOS Fanboy. Cant afford a 16 dollar app but can afford a 499$ device each year.
#4Rustled_ShadoPosted 2/11/2013 11:44:22 AM
Wow, so that's why they moved Legends to the PS3/360... even taking the delay into account. I guess 3rd parties just don't care about Wii U owners.
#5Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 11:58:59 AM
Wow, so that's why they moved Legends to the PS3/360... even taking the delay into account. I guess 3rd parties just don't care about Wii U owners.

3rd parties don't care about Wii U owners, because Wii U owners are don't care about 3rd parties.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
#6blankempathyPosted 2/11/2013 12:12:24 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

3rd parties don't care about Wii U owners, because Wii U owners are don't care about 3rd parties.

Based off the third party game purchaes of wii u owners? Gee maybe if they released something that wasn't a port of an old game or crappy third party games they could actually have some solid data. The only game that has been good and released at the same time is Sonic all stars racing transformed. Zombiu while enjoyable is a niche title.
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#7Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:18:45 PM
Based off the third party game purchaes of wii u owners?

Combined with the horrendous third party sales of nearly every single third party game that was not a casual/fitness/music/mini game collection on the wii.

Gee maybe if they released something that wasn't a port of an old game or crappy third party games they could actually have some solid data.

They tried on the wii and despite the giant install base the games sold poorly.

The only game that has been good and released at the same time is Sonic all stars racing transformed. Zombiu while enjoyable is a niche title.

Dont blame the devs that nintendo rushed out the wii u.
---
#8blankempathyPosted 2/11/2013 12:27:54 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

Combined with the horrendous third party sales of nearly every single third party game that was not a casual/fitness/music/mini game collection on the wii.

Gee maybe if they released something that wasn't a port of an old game or crappy third party games they could actually have some solid data.

The only game that has been good and released at the same time is Sonic all stars racing transformed. Zombiu while enjoyable is a niche title.

So your reasoning is "its the wiis fault" Some logic there. Meanwhile with each new console iteration things are always changing but because of the wii which genuinly was too far behind tech wise held games back so that means the wii u will follow suit because.....? "because of the wii".
---
SSBB Emp FC - 4983-4589-2680 Southern Californian Brawler
#9SlimeSwayzePosted 2/11/2013 12:27:59 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

This is true. This reminds me of when in the late '90's and early 00's lots of people used to complain when MTV stopped showing music videos and started airing weird "reality" shows and other BS almost exclusively. Well, if more people had watched the music video shows, they'd still show them. Instead, more people watched the BS shows, and they took over, since that's where the revenue came from. It's the same in any industry. Companies gravitate towards where the money is. If you buy a Nintendo console and expect strong 3rd party support, you're not being an informed consumer, because with few exceptions, Nintendo owners do not show strong support for 3rd party games.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#10Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 12:35:11 PM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

So your reasoning is "its the wiis fault" Some logic there. Meanwhile with each new console iteration things are always changing but because of the wii which genuinly was too far behind tech wise held games back so that means the wii u will follow suit because.....? "because of the wii".

Stop trying to defend nintendo for one second and use your brain.

Third party "core" games sold poorly on the wii.
They sold slightly better on the Gamecube and N64, but still nowhere near as good as on their competitors consoles.
Do you see a trend here?

I guess things don't change that much...
---