Why are all eyes on Nintendo this generation?

#1iKhanicPosted 2/11/2013 3:13:39 PM(edited)
Wasn't Nintendo the winner of the 7th gen console race? Why are all eyes on how they will do this gen then?

EDIT: By all eyes on them, I mean in a negative way. As in if this were Nintendo's last chance.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2JunahuPosted 2/11/2013 3:10:21 PM
Because they "won" last time, and everyone wants to see what they try next?

I mean, you answered your own question man.
#3FFXIgaiaknightPosted 2/11/2013 3:11:20 PM
cause they were the first ones out the gate with there next gen console.
---
Currently Playing: Dragons Dogma (PS3)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#4DeathSoul2000Posted 2/11/2013 3:11:39 PM
because there are not going to be any other console until xmas at the earliest and trolls love to trash nintendo.
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 3:13:08 PM
Junahu posted...

I meant it in a negative way. As in why is everyone looking at this as Nintendo's last stand or something.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#6pokylightstarPosted 2/11/2013 3:25:10 PM(edited)
iKhanic posted...
Junahu posted...

I meant it in a negative way. As in why is everyone looking at this as Nintendo's last stand or something.

Because they played fast and loose with core gamers last generation, backed themselves into a corner, and are now grovelling at the feet of the market they abandoned while also wanting to have their cake and eat it in regard to the casual gamer.

Also, for a lot of people it probably stems from a perverse curiosity at how long a company can actually survive without creating a single new IP, or even updating its old ones. So much for the 'innovate or die' mantra they preached so fervently at the tail end of the GameCube era.
#7thundercat2600Posted 2/11/2013 3:43:37 PM
1. Nintendo may have "won" 7th generation, but the Wii appears have just been a fad that has come and gone. Wii sales completely dropped off a cliff in 2011, forcing Nintendo to show Wii U a whopping 18 months before the actual launch in a desperate move to keep their shareholders happy.

2. Nintendo's stock has lost 2/3 of its value since Wii U was announced in 2011.

3. Nintendo posted their first loss in over 30 years.

So yeah, it's pretty damn obvious why all eyes are on Nintendo. There is a lot of uncertainty whether they can reach anywhere near the same success as the Wii, whether they can return to profitability, whether they can remain relevant in the smartphone/tablet era, etc etc.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#8SSJ4CHRISPosted 2/11/2013 3:47:01 PM
Because Nintendo is the only one that's released a console this generation. Fanboys want to try to "brag" about Wii U being better than PS360, but that should be the case. When the other consoles for this gen come out, then people will have a reason to talk about them. How is that hard to understand?
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#9arvilinoPosted 2/11/2013 4:00:15 PM(edited)
pokylightstar posted...
iKhanic posted...
Junahu posted...

Because they played fast and loose with core gamers last generation, backed themselves into a corner, and are now grovelling at the feet of the market they abandoned while also wanting to have their cake and eat it in regard to the casual gamer.

Also, for a lot of people it probably stems from a perverse curiosity at how long a company can actually survive without creating a single new IP, or even updating its old ones. So much for the 'innovate or die' mantra they preached so fervently at the tail end of the GameCube era.

Doesn't that stem from people ignoring all these new IP's they've released? Then they get told about them, ask what they are, then come up with an excuse how they don't count.

I mean from even taking just one Nintendo 1st party, Intelligent Systems, it's recently produced Paper Mario Sticker Star, new IP Pushmo&Crashmo, Fire Emblem Awakening and is working on SMT x Fire Emblem.
#10iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 4:01:12 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
1. Nintendo may have "won" 7th generation, but the Wii appears have just been a fad that has come and gone. Wii sales completely dropped off a cliff in 2011, forcing Nintendo to show Wii U a whopping 18 months before the actual launch in a desperate move to keep their shareholders happy.

To be completely honest, I think Wii sales dropped off due to market saturation more than anything else
---