The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

Other M is the best Metroid I've ever played *spoilers*

#1cucumberkingPosted 2/11/2013 8:59:58 PM
I figured I would pick it up when I found it for cheap enough. I've been reading on here about how it isn't like the other Metroid games, I knew I had to try it. I've always wanted to like Metroid, but I've quit halfway through almost every game in the series. They're just so boring, and the constant backtracking was tedious. I saw other M for 8 dollars and figured why not?

Other M was amazing! Samus was finally a character with a personality, I was so tired of being basically a robot in Prime. She showed emotion, fear, anger, regret. The cutscenes looked phenomenal and I love the way it told the story with them. I admit the story wasn't the best, but when I first saw that creepy little rabbit bird, I knew that monster was going to be something big.

The combat was a lot of fun as well, I loved using the finishing moves. The enemies were all varied and fun to fight. The piano at the title screen is haunting and draws you in.

Terrific game. I wish I wasn't in the minority, because if Metroid follows this path, it has a new fan...but at the cost of many.
#2YoyokuKOPosted 2/11/2013 9:02:59 PM
this can't end well
despite how much i like other m...my reasons are different
#3Mymy_OneesamaPosted 2/11/2013 9:03:16 PM
"P-peole are definitely gonna reply to my topic now!"
#4TheTrueNubPosted 2/11/2013 9:03:54 PM
I'll just copy paste my thoughts on Other M from another thread here:

The actual game its self was fine. It was a great way to do a psuedo-2D Metroid game.

The main problem was the handling of the plot and characterization.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#5PendragoonPosted 2/11/2013 9:04:49 PM
All that ever needs to be said about Other M.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/PENDRAG0ON/samusvsridleyma-1.gif
---
Know Japanese? Post your advice in the topic below!
http://gamefaqs.com/boards/316-gamefaqs-world-japan/63714709
#6darkjedilinkPosted 2/11/2013 9:10:23 PM
So, it's the best Metroid you've ever played, because it's nothing like real Metroid games, and you can't handle real Metroid games.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#7cucumberking(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:10:25 PM
The backtracking didn't seem as painful for some reason. I didn't like the final boss because I didn't even notice it was. I was about to be disappointed until after the credits where I got to play more! I didn't expect that.
#8cucumberking(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:11:54 PM
So, it's the best Metroid you've ever played, because it's nothing like real Metroid games, and you can't handle real Metroid games.

Hey I've slogged my way through Metroid Prime and Prime 3. I got bored with Fusion, Super, and Prime 2. Maybe I can't handle them, I admit I don't enjoy them.
#9ian2093Posted 2/11/2013 9:15:39 PM
Other M was the worst Metroid game made. Sure the gamplay was alright, just alright though. Remember flipping the Wiimote every other second to shoot a missile? The story though was what killed it. I lost all respect for Samus. Don't try to sexualize her and don't try to womanize her. You want to know why Mario and Link are such successful protagonists? It's because they don't talk. Just look at Sonic. When did his games start to be horrible? When he started to talk.
---
When all else fails, rage quit.
#10TheTrueNubPosted 2/11/2013 9:17:49 PM
cucumberking posted...

Hey I've slogged my way through Metroid Prime and Prime 3. I got bored with Fusion, Super, and Prime 2. Maybe I can't handle them, I admit I don't enjoy them.

If you don't like exploration then that's the only reason I can see anyone disliking Metroid.

The Metroid series is about being on some alien planet that you can barely maneuver around and exploring what lies around the other corner as you become more mobile and more powerful than you ever were before.

It's got an atmosphere of being alone and stranded in a foreign place like no other. Other M kind of got rid of all that. It was still decently fun enough to play, but it lost the feeling of Metroid in the direction that game took.

It also ruined Samus. Samus was a very strong woman and feared intergalactic bounty hunter only to turn to jelly at the mere sight of Ridley who she has fought multiple times.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png