Other M is the best Metroid I've ever played *spoilers*

#101DTY3Posted 2/13/2013 11:10:18 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
Acemos you are friggen hopeless.

Why? Acemos is right. Youve done nothing but ***** and moan because people dont like the game. At least Other M bashers can put up a valid argument.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#102AceMosPosted 2/13/2013 11:11:18 AM
cucumberking posted...
AceMos posted...
cucumberking posted...
AceMos posted...
cucumberking posted...
What was sexist? That she got scared? That she got called "Lady"? That's in Metroid Fusion too.

I'm just curious because I don't recall any sexist stuff. Just making it so she isn't a fearless robot doesn't seem sexist to me. I must have missed something.

the hole game is about mother hood

samus is emotianly fragile from the death of the baby metroid ( something she never gave a **** about before this game)

she calls adam her father figure even thoe she didnt mean him till she was a grown woman and had a happy life raised by the chozo

we know the names of 2 chozo that were inportant to her life both male and both fatherly to her

past metroid games had samus take orders as well but she disobeyed orders at the drop of a hat to for the sake of justice

samus has faced ridley 7 times by other M never been afraid of him (infact the manga tells us he is afraid of her)

and at least 4 times before he "died" in super metroid ridley seemed to be dead (in the manga which is a re telling of metroid 1 he is a melted pile of goo after his fight with samus)

no 1 cares if samus has emotions infact all past metroid games prove she does have emotions

she just knows how to keep a level head and focus on the job like a real bounty hunter would do

Thank you for the clarification. I can see how that would annoy a fan of the character. However, I never gave a crap about Samus until Other M. I understand my opinion isn't popular. Hopefully, I can appreciate the other games now that I finally have some sort of connection to the woman inside the suit. I really want to like the Metroid series.

ok picture this

batman breaks down in tears afriad infront of the joker

would you like that

Well I thought Ridley killed her parents. If Batman broke down in front of the mugger who shot his parents, that would be dumb. lol.

thats my point what makes batman a interestign char

is not his emotions but how he deals with the things around him

somethign that before other M samus did verry well she lost countless ppl she cared about

and did show reactions to them (the end of prime 3 is her siting alone in sky station reflecting on the deaths of the other bounty hunters)

yes she felt pain but she put it aside to focus on the mission

she bravely pushed on as thigns got worse thats who she is a person who no mater the pain will keep moving forword to save the galaxy

why does she do this not hard to figure out her family (the chozo) intrusted this duty to her
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#103trenkenPosted 2/13/2013 11:14:36 AM
You can never really bash a company for trying something different. That's the only way to move forward, and it just doesnt always work out.

I actually think MoM could have been decent, they just made some really silly decisions. That happens sometimes when there are too many cooks in the kitchen.

Retro did it right, completely change up the gameplay, but do not F with the essence of the franchise. Well, Team Ninja definitely messed with it. The game does not have an isolation feel that all other previous Metroid have. Its also too linear, and turning Samus into a whining ***** looking for a father figure was just painful to watch.

To me its a major black eye on this franchise, but at the same time I dont blame them for trying to make changes. Change was needed. They cant keep making 20 Prime games. 3 was enough, they just made some really bad decisions that messed the whole thing up.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#104DTY3Posted 2/13/2013 11:16:25 AM
cucumberking posted...
What was sexist? That she got scared? That she got called "Lady"? That's in Metroid Fusion too.

I'm just curious because I don't recall any sexist stuff. Just making it so she isn't a fearless robot doesn't seem sexist to me. I must have missed something.

Idk its a bit sexist but youd have to be blind to not see how they pretty much turned Samus into the "ideal perfect Japanese woman" (insanely hot, weak and submissive towards men)
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#105bezerker99Posted 2/13/2013 11:21:41 AM
I found Other M to be completely worthless and nothing like the other Metroid games.

Things I didnt' like:

Samus' Concentration technigue - cheap way to gain all your health back
Missiles can only be fired in 1st person mode
Map identifies locations of all the supposed hidden items
Too much story, too many cutscenes
Samus not using Varia suit because Adam hadn't authorized it's use yet
Adam
Atmospheric Music wasn't quite as good as the old school Metroid soundtracks
Nothing was hard about the game
All you had to do was spam the D-Pad and you could avoid getting hit from bosses and enemies.
Speaking of enemies, none of them left powerups behind, thus making it pointless to destroy them (just run right past them)

Who cares about Samus' personality? Just give me good platforming, puzzles, difficulty and a good sountrack and I'll be happy. Unfortunately, Other M delivered none of that.

I could list more but I'm at work and have to get back to being busy here.

I guess the bottom line is you enjoyed it so, that's awesome. And for $8, can't go wrong with that price.
---
I drink your milkshake
#106bezerker99Posted 2/13/2013 11:23:19 AM
Oh, and the "Where's Waldo" parts of the game were super annoying and utterly pointless. /end rant
---
I drink your milkshake
#107cucumberking(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 11:26:12 AM
bezerker99 posted...
Oh, and the "Where's Waldo" parts of the game were super annoying and utterly pointless. /end rant

I agree with that. Stupid part. Waste of time.
#108PedroMontanaPosted 2/13/2013 11:33:10 AM
This is why I stopped talking with you people. You ***** about people liking something you don't and claim they don't have reasons for liking it, and then when reasons are presented you say they can't have that opinion because you don't agree. Grow the hell up and pull your head out of your butthurt ass.

And more people do enjoy the game the people that ***** about people liking it.

Professional Reviewers
54 positive (80-100)
17 mixed (61-79)
0 negative (60-0)

User Reviews
86 positive
11 mixed
27 negative

The worst thing is, because of those people who always want to make a big fuzz about things that can be interpreted as minor story contradictions to make up a "If MOM is canon the MP games are not" discussion, it's almost impossible to have a constructive conversation about MOM.

Ironically, this reminds of how those people who always get worked up about how some box is in the wrong place in the beginning of Alien 3 compared to the end of Aliens ruin any discussion about the strengths and shortcomings of that movie.
---
No More Heroes
#109Ari917Posted 2/13/2013 11:52:17 AM(edited)
Virus66 posted...

-An extreme emphasis on characterization despite the fact that no game aside from Fusion had any relevant amount of plot or characterization? Check.
-People projecting what they want Samus to be (a stone cold killing machine) instead of who she actually is (A person with a shattered family and hardly any human interaction which causes even the hardiest to crack)? Check

I never got this argument, just because a character doesn't speak doesn't make them a "clean slate" or a "cold blooded killer (hell, this is even contradicted by Metroid 2/Super)." You can have a character be shown by their actions rather then their words. Lets look at Samus, we know she bravely descends into dangerous situations, has a past relationship with Adam, has shown a caring side via her interactions with the Baby Metroid and has shown intellect in dealing with puzzles and weaponry. There's a character there, it's just isn't expanded. Same with characters like Link and Gordon, we see that they do have some character traits to them through the way they interacts with the world around them and thus we get to know quite a bit about them without a word being said.

Adam is the opposite, he's a classic case of "Show, don't Tell." We are constantly told about him and his kindness, his cleverness, so on and so forth and what we get is the total opposite. He shows complete lack of compassion towards Samus, his platoon (he doesn't even say a word about their deaths) and even his brother's death and does nothing when the Deleter is revealed to be present and lets his platoon die one by one without doing anything to prevent it. If we were shown all the good things about the character we would've had a good character but instead what we get is someone completely unlikable.

Now, the problem with Other M is that it tries to expand on Samus' character but it ignores most of the little stuff that has been gathered over the years as well as placing too much emphasis on her relationship with Adam (which is portrayed poorly) and poorly developing her other aspects. There needs to be a balance between the "badass" elements and the "dark past" elements, we need to get both in moderation so that we can relate to the character while not perceiving them as overly dramatic.

Anyway, I think this sums it up perfectly, it doesn't overly criticize the game but instead focuses on the flaws and what can be done to improve it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFm1ei6mjo
#110darkjedilinkPosted 2/13/2013 11:55:55 AM
PedroMontana posted...
This is why I stopped talking with you people. You ***** about people liking something you don't and claim they don't have reasons for liking it, and then when reasons are presented you say they can't have that opinion because you don't agree. Grow the hell up and pull your head out of your butthurt ass.

And more people do enjoy the game the people that ***** about people liking it.

Professional Reviewers
54 positive (80-100)
17 mixed (61-79)
0 negative (60-0)

User Reviews
86 positive
11 mixed
27 negative

The worst thing is, because of those people who always want to make a big fuzz about things that can be interpreted as minor story contradictions to make up a "If MOM is canon the MP games are not" discussion, it's almost impossible to have a constructive conversation about MOM.

Ironically, this reminds of how those people who always get worked up about how some box is in the wrong place in the beginning of Alien 3 compared to the end of Aliens ruin any discussion about the strengths and shortcomings of that movie.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100&i_id=13376658060I61280200&p=5

This long yet thought-out article lists absolutely everything wrong with the plot of Other M both through it's own story and how it takes quite a few dumps on established Metroid canon. And, no, it's nothing like "this box in the beginning of Alien 3 should have been over here, because that's where it was at the end of Aliens."
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie