Other M is the best Metroid I've ever played *spoilers*

#41strongo9Posted 2/12/2013 7:29:40 AM
Good game, bad Metroid game.

/topic
---
Want Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Rayman Legends, and Bioshock Infinite.
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#42AceMosPosted 2/12/2013 7:31:26 AM
strongo9 posted...
Good game, bad Metroid game.

/topic

even if it was stand alone it would still be bad

verry liner

sexist

and full of boring chars and a player char who monologs every thing to the point of seeming like a brain dead monkey
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#43crondizzlePosted 2/12/2013 7:35:40 AM
Only good thing about Other M is Samus's Ass
#44GEKGanonPosted 2/12/2013 12:19:16 PM
as usual. lies, hyperbole and blatantly ignoring other people's points are the ONLY thing you Other M defenders can ever do.
it has even been pointed out IN THIS VERY TOPIC that Samus did get characterization before Other M.

Okay, let's hear it...

- she routinely storms heavily fortified enemy bases alone with only the most basic equipment -> she is self-confident, competent, independent and courageous

This isn't chraracter development, it is a result of the gameplay. Shes doesn't storm into a heavily fortified enemy base with basic equipment, the developer plops her in the game world because you need a game to play, and they give you upgrades throughout so you have a goal. It isn't because she's a stonecold badass. Play the NES game. There isn't even a storyline, just gameplay, because that is how they did it back then.

- in RoS, she spares the last Metroid -> she is not a cold, emotionless robot
- in Super, she goes out of her way to save the animals that taught her the wall jump and shine spark (optional in super, but it's revealed to be the canon ending in Fusion)

I never said she was a cold, emotionless robot. In fact, in supporting Other M, I'm arguing the exact opposite, that she ISN'T a cold emotionless robot, which unlike you, is precisely what the typical anti-Other M zealot tries to pursue.

- in Prime 1, she is clearly enraged when she sees Ridley alive on the Orphion
- in Prime 2, she closes the dead trooper's eyes and saves an entire race of people without expecting compensation
- in Prime 3, you see that Samus has buddies in Rundas, Ghor and Gan-howeveryouspellthat

Nothing in the Prime series is canon. Sorry. And even if it were, there goes your whole "She storms with castle with basic equipment!" argument, since every Prime game started her with a full arsenal.

- in Fusion, you get monologues from Samus that add a LOT of character to her. she also states that she hates taking orders and shows that she doesn't hesitate to disobey

Fusion is irrelevant, it comes after Other M. Citing how she behaves after the events of Other M as an argument to who you think she should be in Other M is an anachronistic fallacy.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#45AceMosPosted 2/12/2013 12:28:36 PM
GEKGanon posted...
as usual. lies, hyperbole and blatantly ignoring other people's points are the ONLY thing you Other M defenders can ever do.
it has even been pointed out IN THIS VERY TOPIC that Samus did get characterization before Other M.

Okay, let's hear it...

- she routinely storms heavily fortified enemy bases alone with only the most basic equipment -> she is self-confident, competent, independent and courageous

This isn't chraracter development, it is a result of the gameplay. Shes doesn't storm into a heavily fortified enemy base with basic equipment, the developer plops her in the game world because you need a game to play, and they give you upgrades throughout so you have a goal. It isn't because she's a stonecold badass. Play the NES game. There isn't even a storyline, just gameplay, because that is how they did it back then.

- in RoS, she spares the last Metroid -> she is not a cold, emotionless robot
- in Super, she goes out of her way to save the animals that taught her the wall jump and shine spark (optional in super, but it's revealed to be the canon ending in Fusion)

I never said she was a cold, emotionless robot. In fact, in supporting Other M, I'm arguing the exact opposite, that she ISN'T a cold emotionless robot, which unlike you, is precisely what the typical anti-Other M zealot tries to pursue.

- in Prime 1, she is clearly enraged when she sees Ridley alive on the Orphion
- in Prime 2, she closes the dead trooper's eyes and saves an entire race of people without expecting compensation
- in Prime 3, you see that Samus has buddies in Rundas, Ghor and Gan-howeveryouspellthat

Nothing in the Prime series is canon. Sorry. And even if it were, there goes your whole "She storms with castle with basic equipment!" argument, since every Prime game started her with a full arsenal.

- in Fusion, you get monologues from Samus that add a LOT of character to her. she also states that she hates taking orders and shows that she doesn't hesitate to disobey

Fusion is irrelevant, it comes after Other M. Citing how she behaves after the events of Other M as an argument to who you think she should be in Other M is an anachronistic fallacy.

*is prevented profe of samus's character*

*you stick your fingers in your ear* LALALALALALA
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#46abbyhitterPosted 2/12/2013 12:39:33 PM
Other M is my favorite Metroid game.

I had Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii and sold that junk. I hated the first person view. The controls killed it for me.

I beat Super Metroid on the Wii VC, but it didn't really stand out to me. I don't remember anything about that game.

I beat Fusion on the GBA and completely loved it. It's my 2nd favorite.

I had Metroid 2 on the GB, but I never completed it.

I beat Metroid Zero Mission, but the only good part about that was the Zero Suit section.

I have the Metroid Prime Hunters demo that came with my original DS. I never completed that because of the horrible controls.

I never played the original Metroid on the NES, but that's why I have Zero Mission.
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#47BeanBeanKingdomPosted 2/12/2013 12:41:06 PM
I'm almost always an advocate of the "to each his own" stance, but I can't for the life of me undestand liking Other M over the Prime trilogy. It's crazy.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#48IngSlayerPosted 2/12/2013 12:49:05 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100&i_id=13373815860I43921400&p=1
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#49GEKGanonPosted 2/12/2013 1:26:15 PM
*is prevented profe of samus's character*

What? This is barely English.

*you stick your fingers in your ear* LALALALALALA

I never put my fingers in my ears. I refuted each of the arguments.

Prime is irrelevant, as it isn't canon to the series, and Fusion is irrelevant, as it happens after Other M and therefore has no bearing on the events in the game. The original game did nothing to develop her character, which was true of pretty much every NES title at the time, and ultimately, all that was gleaned from RoS and Super Metroid is that she let the baby Metroid live, and she has compassion for animals, and is therefore not emotionless, which is also irrelevant, as I never took the position that Samus was emotionless.

My only statement was that Other M gave Nintendo the opportunity to play catch up with character development, and they did so by pushing the storyline back toward the official manga.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#50IngSlayerPosted 2/12/2013 4:03:42 PM
GEKGanon posted...

Prime is irrelevant, as it isn't canon to the series, and Fusion is irrelevant, as it happens after Other M and therefore has no bearing on the events in the game. The original game did nothing to develop her character, which was true of pretty much every NES title at the time, and ultimately, all that was gleaned from RoS and Super Metroid is that she let the baby Metroid live, and she has compassion for animals, and is therefore not emotionless, which is also irrelevant, as I never took the position that Samus was emotionless.

My only statement was that Other M gave Nintendo the opportunity to play catch up with character development, and they did so by pushing the storyline back toward the official manga.

You really need to read what I posted right above this.
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist