So i gave the Wii U a try today at GameStop......boy was it annoying

#21NewbiusPosted 2/12/2013 7:56:50 AM
Danspurt posted...
senelcoolidge_ posted...
Would definitely not want to get in a car with you being behind the wheel.

But no, not all games are like that.

Car driving isn't supposed to be relaxing in any way though, turning your head all about is required for safety. This analogy feels unfair.

Anyway, TC, that issue is smaller once you're not playing it in a store. The controller is kinda awkwardly positioned in relation to the TV in there.

I think the idea he was trying to give out is that the Wii U is like learning how to drive. Once you learn it, it becomes second nature to you.
#22Oni_TaedoPosted 2/12/2013 8:01:16 AM
Socran posted...
Foppe posted...
Solution: In the few games that have this problem, hold your gamepad in front of you, below your view of your TV, so you can see both screens at once.

Not the best solution, as that particular position is annoying to hold , but it does address the issue that I was about to point out: The Gamestop kiosks have the controller locked in place. And, like, perpendicular to the TV. At the very least, you will be able to lift the controller up a certain amount and tilt it toward you, as much as you're comfortable with. Going full on faux-DS parrallel to the screen style might be beyond your comfort zone, but you'll find a middle ground. You may even find yourself instinctively lifting the pad up every time you move your head down, meeting it halfway.

If you're a sissy, yeah.
Unless your wrists are really weak, you shouldn't have much problem holding the pad up.

And sometimes you do, yes, as you said, find yourself instinctively lifting the pad up.
I find it just fine to actually look down while playing. If you think constantly moving your neck to play video games is painful, try getting out of a muay thai clinch. That is a real pain in the neck.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#23DanspurtPosted 2/12/2013 8:03:25 AM
Rasputin77 posted...
I really wish this "hey, you can't compare this to that!" phenomenon would die - holy s*** did it get old quickly. I can compare a rock to an orange if I want to... one doesn't break my teeth when I eat it. Tah-daaah!

The analogy is how your eyes have to pay attention to several different things while driving - it was fairly straightforward. Body tension has nothing to do with it. Notice how they said "switching / changing view", and not "flopping my head around"?

Never said you can't compare stuff, just pointing out that it's a pointless comparison in this context. Nice overreaction though.

And with "this context", picturing the Wii U demo kiosks, you do have to bob your head up and down to switch between the two screens. Then someone called him out for being a bad driver because he didn't like this.

By the way, drivers perform best under moderate stress. Not perfectly calm, but not super stressed either.
---
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never really know how accurate they actually are" - Abraham Lincoln
#24b1gt0nePosted 2/12/2013 9:41:01 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
You don't even switch back and forth on the Rayman demo. You look at the TV unless playing as Murphy then you'd look at the Gamepad. There is no looking back and forth.

This.

My 8 year old has NO problem with the Rayman demo.
#25Prototype82Posted 2/12/2013 4:57:35 PM
Bump.
#26_Sovereign_Posted 2/12/2013 5:03:07 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
You don't even switch back and forth on the Rayman demo. You look at the TV unless playing as Murphy then you'd look at the Gamepad. There is no looking back and forth.

This, unless the GS demo is highly different than the eShop demo, TC is over-exaggerating
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.