Up until recently Power=innovation

#1iKhanicPosted 2/12/2013 2:20:38 AM
I've been looking back over some gaming history (because I'm bored). In the past Nintendo was the company that really did push console power, because Power really gave way to innovation in games. The SNES, N64 and GC were fairly powerful compared to their bretheren, and each one brought a new level of innovation with it. The SNES allowed us to endeavor into much more complicated games. The N64 brought us into the 3D world, and the GC put the polish on that 3D world.

But I think I know why Iwata has shifted Nintendo's focus away from power. Power is giving increasingly diminshed returns from games. No longer will increasing power fundamentally change the way people play. Sure there are definitely tweaks that Power gives us, but nothing like the shift into 3D did. So what Nintendo's been doing for the past two generations is instead finding new ways to fundamentally change gameplay, and they have succeeded. Now I do think they may have estimated the point at which power increase is no longer valuable with the Wii, as we saw in the last gen there were just things it couldn't handle. But I do think we have reached that point in the HD console universe.

So in other words, power is great and all, but the Wii U did what it needed to do.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2GimeaPosted 2/12/2013 2:36:29 AM
Placing a map or inventory on a second screen is not what I like to call innovation, nor is waggling.
---
The new Minecraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKlNskaRPU
#3wingo84Posted 2/12/2013 2:40:10 AM
Gimea posted...
Placing a map or inventory on a second screen is not what I like to call innovation, nor is waggling.

Technically it is because no one else has done it before...
---
NNID - Wingo84
Currently playing: Darksiders 2, ZombiU Survival
#4iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 2:43:08 AM
Gimea posted...

The latter radically changes the way you play

The first one is a vast under approximation of what is there in the Gamepad. The game pad gives you innovation in its gyroscope and accelerometer as well.

Plus innovation is based on what you do with the game, not the element of innovation itself. Using a remote to act as a cursor in your game isn't innovation either. But making certain movements to control the game is.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#5keniptionPosted 2/12/2013 2:44:39 AM
wingo84 posted...
Gimea posted...

Well kind of. VMU's.
---
GT/PSN/Vita/Wii U/Steam/Raptr - Keniption
#6uneedtowakeupPosted 2/12/2013 2:50:42 AM
The Wii Us main problem is the that concept/controller sucks and is nowhere near as cool as the wii motion controls where at the time. The problem isnt really about the graphics.

No good games that showcase the concept (that sucks btw) were released.

So people go on to the next important thing?..........graphics.

Well the graphics suck too.

So that is why the wii u is in its current state....
#7GimeaPosted 2/12/2013 3:00:27 AM
iKhanic posted...
Gimea posted...

The first one is a vast under approximation of what is there in the Gamepad. The game pad gives you innovation in its gyroscope and accelerometer as well.

Plus innovation is based on what you do with the game, not the element of innovation itself. Using a remote to act as a cursor in your game isn't innovation either. But making certain movements to control the game is.

I agree that the latter has absolutely potential, in the form of Wiimotionplus. That's why I am disappointed that it's taking a backseat this gen.

But the gamepad, I honestly don't know what it could be used for, except for pulling essential info from the HD TV to the little screen. But only time will tell what developers will do.
---
The new Minecraft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFKlNskaRPU
#8JackTheRimmerPosted 2/12/2013 3:04:39 AM
wingo84 posted...
Gimea posted...

Dreamcast did both
#9FoppePosted 2/12/2013 3:13:17 AM
We had Dreamcast games that had the map on the VMU?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#10Breastmilkn_DipPosted 2/12/2013 3:22:02 AM
iKhanic posted...
I've been looking back over some gaming history (because I'm bored). In the past Nintendo was the company that really did push console power, because Power really gave way to innovation in games. The SNES, N64 and GC were fairly powerful compared to their bretheren, and each one brought a new level of innovation with it. The SNES allowed us to endeavor into much more complicated games. The N64 brought us into the 3D world, and the GC put the polish on that 3D world.

But I think I know why Iwata has shifted Nintendo's focus away from power. Power is giving increasingly diminshed returns from games. No longer will increasing power fundamentally change the way people play. Sure there are definitely tweaks that Power gives us, but nothing like the shift into 3D did. So what Nintendo's been doing for the past two generations is instead finding new ways to fundamentally change gameplay, and they have succeeded. Now I do think they may have estimated the point at which power increase is no longer valuable with the Wii, as we saw in the last gen there were just things it couldn't handle. But I do think we have reached that point in the HD console universe.

So in other words, power is great and all, but the Wii U did what it needed to do.

iKhanic posted...
Gimea posted...

Genuinely lmfao at your blinkered, revisionist desperation!
---
lysa-tully.nom