Gamestop: People are waiting for a "blockbuster" first party title

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/12/2013 4:57:23 PM
Speaking during the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference this afternoon, the executive said the Wii U launch went off as predicted, but interest in the new console has since fallen off.

"We were pleased with the allocation [of Wii U units] that we got through the launch. I think for us, it performed at expectation," Lloyd said. "I think what what you're [now] seeing is the interest has not been to the overall level that [Nintendo] had hoped for. And it's not performing like the Wii did."

"There are a variety of theories as to why that might be," he added. "But among them is there hasn't been the blockbuster from Nintendo. So Nintendo I think understands the need to have that first-party software available to drive Wii U sales."

Nintendo has officially sold 3 million Wii U hardware units and 11 million software copies across the world since launch last year. (This number is from Dec31)

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata last month apologized for a lack of Wii U software available. He explained that Nintendo understands the need for new titles surrounding the Wii U launch, but also acknowledged that achieving quality is of the utmost importance.

Significant first-party titles for the Wii U are on the way, including a brand-new Wii U Legend of Zelda game and a Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker high-definition remake. Other Nintendo-produced Wii U titles revealed recently include new Yoshi, Mario, and Mario Kart offerings.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/gamestop-wii-u-needs-blockbuster-to-spark-sales-6403808
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#2Prototype82Posted 2/12/2013 4:58:56 PM
Too bad there aren't any!
#3P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 4:59:38 PM
And... Ignore
---
#4b1gt0nePosted 2/12/2013 5:01:18 PM
Nintendo needs a spark and the inferno will once again ignite. MarioKart or SSB
#5Sailor GoonPosted 2/12/2013 5:01:25 PM
This isnt exactly news or anything everyone doesnt already know. The system has no great first party games. And third party support is abysmal as well. A system needs games to sell well. As it stands, the Wii U doesnt have anything anyone really wants.
---
"The Vita sold six times more than the 3DS so far" - n0matter
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#6StickMen1090Posted 2/12/2013 5:02:23 PM
b1gt0ne posted...

their all gonna be at E3
#7TheBonfiniPosted 2/12/2013 5:03:43 PM
This just in. Gamers expect games on a system for it to sell.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#8P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 5:04:38 PM
StickMen1090 posted...
b1gt0ne posted...

their all gonna be at E3

And 3D Mario, and Mario Kart are going to be playable. Hope those demos hit the eShop! I also expect Retro's title to finally be revealed.
---
#9meiyukiPosted 2/12/2013 5:07:16 PM
I suppose I expected a few of the launch window games to come a little earlier than they will, but I guess I'm just old enough that I don't expect a blockbuster game every other day.

It's just starting to feel like every time a nintendo console launches it's as though there's never been another console launch in the history of gaming or that it's so sort of huge anomaly that there arn't 200 titles on launch day.
#10hellbringherPosted 2/12/2013 5:07:58 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
And... Ignore

You act as if anything you say is of importance. Ha.

Hey look a topic NOT about Eshop, but it still a copy and paste hack job.

Pandaman is so angry. He must show the world that devs love the Wii U. Even if he does the opposite from time to time. Ha
---
Currently playing ~ Syndicate