Gamestop: People are waiting for a "blockbuster" first party title

#21Ryan SiPosted 2/12/2013 11:12:42 PM
Not sure how well it's done in sales, but is it really at a point where a 2D Mario isn't a system seller for more than hardcore Nintendo fans?

I actually like New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's not quite as innovative as say SMB3 or SMW, but it's pretty good. NSMB Wii U though sort of just looks like a slightly sharper, cleaner version of the Wii game.
---
Currently Playing: Portal 2 (PC), DMC3 HD (PS3), Assassins Creed II (PC), Super Mario All-Stars (Wii)
#22FlyinTonitePosted 2/12/2013 11:15:48 PM
Ryan Si posted...
Not sure how well it's done in sales, but is it really at a point where a 2D Mario isn't a system seller for more than hardcore Nintendo fans?

I actually like New Super Mario Bros Wii. It's not quite as innovative as say SMB3 or SMW, but it's pretty good. NSMB Wii U though sort of just looks like a slightly sharper, cleaner version of the Wii game.

Nsmbu is a far more polished game imo. The character assets look re used but the level design is leagues better than nsmbwii
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#23ChipChippersonPosted 2/13/2013 2:15:03 AM
I don't want Nintendo to fall back on their evergreen titles like Smash Bros or Mario Kart, those aren't going to pull in new fans.

What they need to do is take a franchise like Metroid, Starfox or Kid Icarus and go absolutely balls out with the graphics and tech. Something that grabs people and has them saying 'Holy crap, I need to play that.' Personally I can't even muster mild enthusiasm for something like Mario Kart, I've already played the bloody game every gen for the past 20 years. Nintendo needs an attention getter and I'm sorry but frankly, other than the ones I mentioned, their franchises aren't very exciting and enticing to people on the fence.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#24ChipChippersonPosted 2/13/2013 2:20:39 AM
Ryan Si posted...

Nintendo spends far too much time preaching to the converted, they need to bring new people in. If people weren't excited for or interested in Super Mario or Mario Kart 15 years ago, why would they be now? If you didn't want to play NSMBW, why would you want to play a new one on the U?

I give Nintendo credit for taking chances with their hardware. Now they need to stop playing it so safe with the software side.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.
#25DiscostewSMPosted 2/13/2013 2:22:55 AM
I didn't know Blockbuster made video games for Nintendo. I thought they died out long ago.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#26P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 4:04:40 AM
ChipChipperson posted...
I don't want Nintendo to fall back on their evergreen titles like Smash Bros or Mario Kart, those aren't going to pull in new fans.

What they need to do is take a franchise like Metroid, Starfox or Kid Icarus and go absolutely balls out with the graphics and tech. Something that grabs people and has them saying 'Holy crap, I need to play that.' Personally I can't even muster mild enthusiasm for something like Mario Kart, I've already played the bloody game every gen for the past 20 years. Nintendo needs an attention getter and I'm sorry but frankly, other than the ones I mentioned, their franchises aren't very exciting and enticing to people on the fence.

Don't speak for an entire populace.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#27mashuPosted 2/13/2013 5:20:13 AM
I don't necessarily need a blockbuster first party title, I simply need a game I really wish to play. A must-have title. What defines a must-have game differs from person to person but, for me, its just not out yet. I didn't see it within the full launch window, which is why I cancelled my pre-order and, though a couple are now announced, they have no dates attached so I still haven't gotten the system.