Destruction Blog: Is the WiiU Touch Screen a Red Herring?

#11GdboyratedloudPosted 2/12/2013 8:42:37 PM
it was a nice read
---
PSN: JamesDeanONdaLOW
List of drones exposed: SSJ4CHRIS
#12BlackPhoenix127Posted 2/12/2013 9:25:32 PM
What the....a non-Nintendoomed article!!!! FANBOYS!!!!!!!
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#13TerotrousPosted 2/12/2013 10:33:28 PM
This is similar to an argument people have been making about the Wii for ages. Cheap hardware wins console wars.

There's undoubtedly some truth to it, but I think this article assumes that it will work too well. Despite being cheap to develop for, Wii didn't get all the third-party support last gen. It got some, but there was still plenty of high-budget development it didn't get. Nintendo also made several major mistakes last gen (E3 2008, 2011 / 2012 in general), that were still able to hurt their momentum despite the ostensibly superior positioning of the Wii relative to its competitors.

Also, I think calling the controller a red herring is understating it. It's still a vital tool for drawing people in. The trick is to provide a system that's cheap to work with and has a big install base and the controller is vital in the latter.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#14shaunmePosted 2/12/2013 11:31:17 PM
"Sure, they may look better on a rival system, so what? did PS2 owners avoid Resident Evil 4 on their system just because it looked better in Gamecube? "

Ok stopped reading there, basically if you don't have any standards then the Wii U will be fine for you, why any gamer would choose to own 1 system is beyond me,especially when that system will get inferior multiplats.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#15TheBonfiniPosted 2/13/2013 12:03:04 AM
shaunme posted...
"Sure, they may look better on a rival system, so what? did PS2 owners avoid Resident Evil 4 on their system just because it looked better in Gamecube? "

Ok stopped reading there, basically if you don't have any standards then the Wii U will be fine for you, why any gamer would choose to own 1 system is beyond me,especially when that system will get inferior multiplats.

But if you have no standards you would be put in the situation to make up such elaborate fairy tales.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#16shaunmePosted 2/13/2013 12:32:46 AM
TheBonfini posted...
shaunme posted...

But if you have no standards you would be put in the situation to make up such elaborate fairy tales.

mass effect,darksiders,batman,ass creed all inferior on the Wii U .
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#17TheBonfiniPosted 2/13/2013 12:36:32 AM
shaunme posted...
TheBonfini posted...
shaunme posted...

mass effect,darksiders,batman,ass creed all inferior on the Wii U .

Oh I know. but so does everyone. They just don't care because they don't know how much better it is elsewhere. They aren't comparing games to anything but was on the Wii. Lala Land.
---
#18DBPanterAPosted 2/13/2013 12:43:54 AM
The article is a good read with some very poignant arguments in favor of Nintendo. I will be honest in that I am a little bummed right now with a lack of software for the Wii U after purchasing 5 games for it that are now completed, and the 3DS is a little lacking for my tastes currently.

However, as someone who has played video games for the better part of 25 years, I can say the one thing that people must remember is that it ultimately is about the games. This past generation put 140 game studios out of business. Companies LOST money releasing games that sold millions. We all have our preferred method of gaming on whatever device that may be. Yet, the fact remains that many people are now accustomed to playing games for free or a very reduced price on a multitude of devices, and that is not a feasible way for game developers to make a living.

For those that are taking the wait and see approach to Sony and Microsoft's latest offerings may in fact be the customers that put those companies in serious trouble. Both corporations are not in good financial status, and they need early adopters more than any other time to turn their forecasts around (not having a stable of IPs, such as Nintendo, to fall back on will not help the cause either).
---
NNID: Minny612
3DS FC: 5155-2933-9036
#19TheBonfiniPosted 2/13/2013 12:53:31 AM
DBPanterA posted...
The article is a good read with some very poignant arguments in favor of Nintendo. I will be honest in that I am a little bummed right now with a lack of software for the Wii U after purchasing 5 games for it that are now completed, and the 3DS is a little lacking for my tastes currently.

However, as someone who has played video games for the better part of 25 years, I can say the one thing that people must remember is that it ultimately is about the games. This past generation put 140 game studios out of business. Companies LOST money releasing games that sold millions. We all have our preferred method of gaming on whatever device that may be. Yet, the fact remains that many people are now accustomed to playing games for free or a very reduced price on a multitude of devices, and that is not a feasible way for game developers to make a living.

For those that are taking the wait and see approach to Sony and Microsoft's latest offerings may in fact be the customers that put those companies in serious trouble. Both corporations are not in good financial status, and they need early adopters more than any other time to turn their forecasts around (not having a stable of IPs, such as Nintendo, to fall back on will not help the cause either).

Except that all signs pointing to third parties basically being told by MS and Sony to cease releasing games on Wii-U and focus on our new consoles.
---
#20mini_blightPosted 2/13/2013 2:27:21 AM
TheBonfini posted...
DBPanterA posted...

Except that all rumors pointing to third parties basically being bribed by MS and Sony to cease releasing games on Wii-U and focus on our new 1.5 consoles.

Fixed.