I think it would be better for gamers if Nintendo stopped making consoles

#1RECON64bitPosted 2/12/2013 7:07:33 PM
Think about it, if Nintendo abandons the console market, they will become a major third party developer, with many subdivisions and video game developers under them. They will be forced to make multiplat games since exclusives are no longer the real money-makers.

Multiplats are the future, so three consoles is extremely redundant unless they are doing something radically different and let's face it the Wii U is not doing anything revolutionary. The real innovation video game consoles need to make is virtual reality. Microsoft and or Sony will be the ones to take this step.

The real reason people get Nintendo consoles is for the 1st/2nd party games. We all know Nintendo excels in this category. I fear console development take away precious manpower that could be used to improve the development of their titles and creating new ones.

Whatever console you purchase you'd still have access to the plethora of Nintendo games. It will be at this time when Nintendo, like Sega will wonder why they ever bothered making consoles in the first place. They could still develop video game handhelds since they utterly dominate this market, but at least the pressure would be alleviated from long and grueling venture of home console development.

In the end we all win.
#2P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/12/2013 7:12:37 PM(edited)
No, it absolutely wouldn't and would not happen that way.

Also, Sega was forced out of the console race. They never thought "why'd we ever do that anyway".
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#3RECON64bit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 7:13:56 PM(edited)
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...

If Sega went this route why not Nintendo? Tell me you don't enjoy the added benefit of Sega titles to your home console and PC?

I will also add that if Nintendo was third party we'd see Banjo Kazooie in Smash bros and rightfully so!
#4HeaderHogPosted 2/12/2013 7:17:33 PM(edited)
RECON64bit posted...

If Sega went this route why not Nintendo? Tell me you don't enjoy the added benefit of Sega titles to your home console and PC?

Because Sega was drowning in its own debt.
Sega was forced to to survive as a company, unlike Nintendo.
Nintendo is drowning in its own money, and unless things get REALLY rough for them, they're still going to release consoles.
And hopefully, every mistake they make will make them rectify it the next time.
Also, no R&D used on games is also used on consoles.
If that were the case, then every console launch for every system would be a nightmare.
---
Bacon.
This sig is instantly awesome.
#5RECON64bit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 7:17:17 PM
HeaderHog posted...
RECON64bit posted...

Nintendo is drowning in its own money, and unless things get REALLY rough for them, they're still going to release consoles.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying Nintendo is in Sega's situation(yet) all I'm saying is that it would be beneficial in the end if Nintendo stops making consoles, and made games for everyone. We get third party and Nintendo games best of both worlds!
#6HELZEROPosted 2/12/2013 7:19:23 PM
I prefer Nintendo make a real next gen console. But if they continue this cheap route then I hope they are forced to go third party.
#7Sir_HaxorPosted 2/12/2013 7:20:05 PM
RECON64bit posted...
HeaderHog posted...
RECON64bit posted...

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying Nintendo is in Sega's situation(yet) all I'm saying is that it would be beneficial in the end if Nintendo stops making consoles, and made games for everyone. We get third party and Nintendo games best of both worlds!

Or you could just buy a Nintendo console and play their games? Everyone wins!
---
Half naked teenage demon boy is as good as it gets- MetaLoki
The Official Anguished One and Chaos Hero of the SMTIV board
#8HeaderHogPosted 2/12/2013 7:20:23 PM
RECON64bit posted...
HeaderHog posted...
RECON64bit posted...

You have to understand they make LESS profit producing for other consoles, correct?
On PS3/360, part of that profit goes to the makers of the console, Sony and Microsoft respectively.
By releasing their own games on their own console, they get all the profit, also without the restrictions of publishers that they will surely face, unless they became another Valve.
---
Bacon.
This sig is instantly awesome.
#92wingedangelPosted 2/12/2013 7:21:06 PM
RECON64bit posted...
Multiplats are the future, so three consoles is extremely redundant unless they are doing something radically different and let's face it the Wii U is not doing anything revolutionary. The real innovation video game consoles need to make is virtual reality. Microsoft and or Sony will be the ones to take this step.

Should've stopped reading there.
---
Lover of all things cute and pretty. <3
Black 2 FC: 4213-1800-0462
#10SegavsCapcomPosted 2/12/2013 7:24:22 PM
Except it'd be worse for gamers.

Nintendo gets a lot of their revenue from console sales. This revenue pays people and goes into game development. No console sales mean less revenue meaning less people meaning less games. How do gamers win if there are less games?
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.