I think it would be better for gamers if Nintendo stopped making consoles

#51RECON64bit(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 9:40:27 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
chstar posted...
SegavsCapcom posted...

Nintendo wouldn't win. They'd make less money.

Gamers wouldn't win. They'd have less Nintendo games to play.

1. considering they sell consoles at a loss...considering the huge increase in sales nintendo would see from selling their games to all consoles...well that's a tough call to make. neither of us know exactly how much they stand to gain/lose on this. but we do know there are many xbox and playstation owners who would love to play some nintendo games, who just don't want to have to pay 300 dollars on a console they don't want for the privilege to do so.

2. It's the gamers who would win most of all. More than anything, a good deal of us who missed out on some Wii and Wii U games due to not wanting to spend a large amount of money on a console ONLY to play nintendo games would be able to enjoy those games. and of course, the ability to play all those wonderful nintendo games online is a huge draw as well. Had games like smash bros, mario kart, new super mario bros wii/u, donkey kong country returns, etc etc etc been online, they would have been far FAR more enjoyable. not to mention getting potential online support for older nintendo games like 4 swords, or mario bros 1-3 over xboxlive or psn would just be to much to resist.

your first point is debatable, the second one is undeniable, gamers would most certainly win.

Online does not make a game enjoyable. Gameplay does. And Nintendo consoles have Virtual Console, which is virtually PSN or Xbox arcade.

Nintendo consoles also have slews of third party exclusives. The Wii got MAdWorld, No More Heroes, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, deBlob, Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors, Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Buying a Nintendo console means you get both good first and third party exclusives.

If Nintendo shuts down console making, it loses tons of revenue that would have gone into making games, so that means less games, quite possibly with less unique ways to play thanks to being restricted to conventional non innovate controllers and smaller dev teams.

Gamers wouldn't win because there would be less games to play and they'd probably be crap.

Bro, I have a wii those third party exclusives you mentioned are not much better or more innovative if at all to the multiplat games on 360/PS3. Let me also tell you the Wiimote is not the reason those games are any good. The controller can't make the game. It's not virtual reality so let's not pretend it is.
#52chstarPosted 2/12/2013 9:47:25 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
chstar posted...
SegavsCapcom posted...

Nintendo wouldn't win. They'd make less money.

Gamers wouldn't win. They'd have less Nintendo games to play.

1. considering they sell consoles at a loss...considering the huge increase in sales nintendo would see from selling their games to all consoles...well that's a tough call to make. neither of us know exactly how much they stand to gain/lose on this. but we do know there are many xbox and playstation owners who would love to play some nintendo games, who just don't want to have to pay 300 dollars on a console they don't want for the privilege to do so.

2. It's the gamers who would win most of all. More than anything, a good deal of us who missed out on some Wii and Wii U games due to not wanting to spend a large amount of money on a console ONLY to play nintendo games would be able to enjoy those games. and of course, the ability to play all those wonderful nintendo games online is a huge draw as well. Had games like smash bros, mario kart, new super mario bros wii/u, donkey kong country returns, etc etc etc been online, they would have been far FAR more enjoyable. not to mention getting potential online support for older nintendo games like 4 swords, or mario bros 1-3 over xboxlive or psn would just be to much to resist.

your first point is debatable, the second one is undeniable, gamers would most certainly win.

Online does not make a game enjoyable. Gameplay does. And Nintendo consoles have Virtual Console, which is virtually PSN or Xbox arcade.

Nintendo consoles also have slews of third party exclusives. The Wii got MAdWorld, No More Heroes, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramasa, deBlob, Epic Mickey, Sonic Colors, Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Buying a Nintendo console means you get both good first and third party exclusives.

If Nintendo shuts down console making, it loses tons of revenue that would have gone into making games, so that means less games, quite possibly with less unique ways to play thanks to being restricted to conventional non innovate controllers and smaller dev teams.

Gamers wouldn't win because there would be less games to play and they'd probably be crap.

I already covered that. But I'll explain again. considering what you said

1 considering "A. considering they sell consoles at a loss...considering the huge increase in sales nintendo would see from selling their games to all consolesbut we do know there are many xbox and playstation owners who would love to play some nintendo games, who just don't want to have to pay 300 dollars on a console they don't want for the privilege to do so. "

considering B "
If Nintendo shuts down console making, it loses tons of revenue"

the answer is: "that's a tough call to make. neither of us know exactly how much they stand to gain/lose on this. "

there is money to be made and lost here. For you to claim to know which one outweighs the other is foolish

2. I'll state again. gamers as a whole stand to gain due to the increase availability of nintendo games for all consoles, and the ability to play classics over xboxlive arcade and psn arcade instead of the virtual consoles (as the arcades have online support which makes all the difference). not to mention the online support that would be gained for all nintendo games. again who wouldn't want to play games like smash bros, mario kart, new super mario bros, etc etc etc online.

these are obviously gains.

however your losses claims are based around the loss of money, which as already stated is debatable.

So in short, gamers definitely win, this is non debatable. The only real question is if nintendo stands to lose or not. but since none of us know this, we can all hope 3rd party
#53anon_firePosted 2/12/2013 10:06:11 PM
TC, you are as delusional as many of the others have said about you.

Nintendo would rather close down than go 3rd-party as they have said many times over. But it seems to me that you don't see that clearly.

Like the others tried to tell you, if they went 3rd party, then the quality of their games would dramatically diminish overtime. What I'm saying is, It just wouldn't feel right playing Zelda or Metroid on a PS3 controller.
#54chstarPosted 2/13/2013 11:24:07 AM
Sir_Haxor posted...
I wish Sony and Microsoft would drop out of the console race so I don't have to worry about buying extra systems in addition to my Nintendo stuff. PS3 has 3rd party exclusives and 360 runs multi-plats better. I say scrap those consoles and just bring those games to Nintendo.

you already knew how inaccurate that was before you even posted it.

people buy a ps3 for a multitiude of reasons, people buy an xbox for a multitude of reasons, people buy a nintendo ONLY to play nintendo games. so moving nintendo games over to the xbox or playstation, as shown in previous posts, is a great idea. however moving xbox/playstation games to the Wii is a terrible idea. Why would anyone want to suffer through a degradation in graphics, the loss of xboxlive/psn support for those games (just watch call of duty fall off the market without online support), and be forced to use inferior controls.

I know the point you are trying to make. But it just doesn't work here. nintendo made an inferior console with inferior controls. People only put up with it because nintendo makes great games.
#55Board_hunter567Posted 2/13/2013 11:25:55 AM
Everything should be PC only.
I mean, why not?
#56icarus231Posted 2/13/2013 12:03:18 PM
RECON64bit posted...
Think about it, if Nintendo abandons the console market, they will become a major third party developer, with many subdivisions and video game developers under them. They will be forced to make multiplat games since exclusives are no longer the real money-makers.

Multiplats are the future, so three consoles is extremely redundant unless they are doing something radically different and let's face it the Wii U is not doing anything revolutionary. The real innovation video game consoles need to make is virtual reality. Microsoft and or Sony will be the ones to take this step.

The real reason people get Nintendo consoles is for the 1st/2nd party games. We all know Nintendo excels in this category. I fear console development take away precious manpower that could be used to improve the development of their titles and creating new ones.

Whatever console you purchase you'd still have access to the plethora of Nintendo games. It will be at this time when Nintendo, like Sega will wonder why they ever bothered making consoles in the first place. They could still develop video game handhelds since they utterly dominate this market, but at least the pressure would be alleviated from long and grueling venture of home console development.

In the end we all win.

I feel as if i lost a few IQ points reading this idiotic post.

Sony wont be bringing you vr anytime soon. They cant even pay their bills they have now and it is a pointless venture as the mass market wouldnt be able to afford it if they did.

As you said people buy nintendo console for nintendo games. So maybe MS and Sony should stop and everyone should just make games for nintendo. This is your logic right since they are all redundent and Nintenod has the best 1st/2nd party. Why should they close shop when as you indirectly said they are the best.
#57EastCoastKodyPosted 2/13/2013 12:13:47 PM
i'm not going to read 6 pgs.

But its quite laughable that after stating how its unnecessary to have all these consoles.....the TC wants Nintendo to go away?

The one that actually tries to do something different. So the company that tries to re-invent how we play games is the problem?

Not Sony and Microsoft who churn out the same exact products that play the same games?
---
"Just cause someone trolls something doesn't mean they dislike it. I've wanted a Wii U since it was announced." -- lazycomplife
#58DiscostewSMPosted 2/13/2013 12:23:06 PM
It would not be better for gamers if Nintendo stopped making consoles and went 3rd party, because right now, Nintendo games sell, so if a 3rd party developer doesn't want to compete with Nintendo, they don't make their games on a Nintendo system. By Nintendo going 3rd party, existing 3rd party developers would be forced into competing with them for sales. Whether you like Nintendo games or not, Nintendo games sell very well, and very few people have fat wallets to get every game they want.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#59DynheartPosted 2/13/2013 1:13:23 PM(edited)
Going third party = having to throw up the white flag.

You know why Sega struggles to make a proper game? It's because they cannot afford it! Resources are important in this industry. You cannot just whip up masterpiece after masterpiece without money. Sega found out the hard way.

Hoping Nintendo goes the way of the Sega is dooming them to the same fate. People think "Oh, all their games will on all the other systems?! That's great!" No. Mario will turn into what Sonic is today. So will Metroid. And Kirby; and SSBs. You get the point. No resources. Cannot afford big teams. That spells crappy games.

Next thing you know, they will be dropping IP's/teams because they cannot afford to keep them afloat.

Besides. Nintendo has stated several times, and I mean SEVERAL times, that if they had to leave the industry (weather it's being forced out, or simply just leaving), they will close up shop. AKA...Nintendo will cease to exist. The end of an era. That includes their IP's.

So people wishing them out of the console race, and they love their IP's? Better have second thoughts. If they leave, so do their IP's; and their legacy.
---
Currently playing: L.A Noire, NSMBU
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#60PyjamaHeroPosted 2/13/2013 1:28:52 PM
Nintendo is the only innovator left. Whether you love or hate them for it Microsoft and Sony simply made more powerful machines for the last generation. Nintendo made something different. They chose to again, and whether or not it turns out for good or for ill remains to be seen, but when innovation no longer factors in and we just see the each generation become a mere power struggle things will begin to stagnate.
---
A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams.