Convince me.

#301iomega311Posted 3/3/2013 10:25:07 PM
overkillwfo1978 posted...
iomega311 posted...
iomega311 posted...
In certain sections, yes, the textures weren't perfect, but generally speaking, everything looked great, especially in towns and levels where the real action takes place. The fact that the game wasn't even fully polished and was a bit rushed out the game, yet still looked and ran as good as it did, shows the accomplishment of the developer.

AI, physics, and animation all play into this, as well, and those are easily industry standard for the FPS genre, some bad textures aside.

Uh. No. Gonna have to disagree here. Literally every single up close texture is abysmally horrible aside from certain characters and vehicles... and the weapon you hold... any up close landscape in RAGE is a horrible, blurry,o
muddy mess. Like I said, from far away, it looks great, up close, it is terrible. The worst this generation of gaming has to offer.

Fire up the game and look and any random object or building up close, it's like taking a trip back 10-12 years in gaming texture land.... and this is AFTER the "upgrade patch" before that, at launch, it was even worse.

If they started making all games like RAGE, I would stop gaming.

I'm sorry you played the shoddy PC port of the game. On consoles, the game does look fine.

Also, the game is 720p. Let's not forget that alot of console titles run sub-30fps on consoles. Seems like you're making a big deal about nothing by focusing on some textures streaming issues that do arise, but do not affect the overall experience.

Yes, I do have it on PC. So you are saying that textures on the console version look better than the PC on full max after the patch? That would be a first to see for me, but I only own the PC version and it looks horrible.

Simple answer to this is that games evolved faster than the hardware that runs them. Gamecube could run a lot of games at 60fps because the resolution was lower, the detail was MUCH lower, the graphical effects were nothing compared to today's games and the size and scope of the landscape of games back then were tiny compared to today's games. It's totally expected.. current consoles are 7 years old (and Nintendo decided to go really cheap on hardware, so lump them in here too...) and game requirements have surpassed what consoles are capable of.

My PC with a i5 3570k/680 runs Crysis 3 on max without AA @ 35-55fps and it looks glorious. I will take that any day over muddy, RAGE textures or 60fps Gamecube games.

It's widely known that the PC port of RAGE was not that great, with issues the consoles versions did not deal with.

And congrats on your expensive gaming PC looking and running better than strict console tech. I wasn't referring to PC games initially, so don't spin it as such. Point was developers could get more out of current consoles tech.
---
More proof that committing actual violence inspires the playing of violent video games.
http://backloggery.com/iomega311
#302IokuaPosted 3/3/2013 10:25:47 PM
Whatever you say, tv blaming guy, whatever you say.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#303overkillwfo1978Posted 3/3/2013 10:32:10 PM
iomega311 posted...
iomega311 posted...
iomega311 posted...
In certain sections, yes, the textures weren't perfect, but generally speaking, everything looked great, especially in towns and levels where the real action takes place. The fact that the game wasn't even fully polished and was a bit rushed out the game, yet still looked and ran as good as it did, shows the accomplishment of the developer.

AI, physics, and animation all play into this, as well, and those are easily industry standard for the FPS genre, some bad textures aside.

Uh. No. Gonna have to disagree here. Literally every single up close texture is abysmally horrible aside from certain characters and vehicles... and the weapon you hold... any up close landscape in RAGE is a horrible, blurry,o
muddy mess. Like I said, from far away, it looks great, up close, it is terrible. The worst this generation of gaming has to offer.

Fire up the game and look and any random object or building up close, it's like taking a trip back 10-12 years in gaming texture land.... and this is AFTER the "upgrade patch" before that, at launch, it was even worse.

If they started making all games like RAGE, I would stop gaming.

I'm sorry you played the shoddy PC port of the game. On consoles, the game does look fine.

Also, the game is 720p. Let's not forget that alot of console titles run sub-30fps on consoles. Seems like you're making a big deal about nothing by focusing on some textures streaming issues that do arise, but do not affect the overall experience.

Yes, I do have it on PC. So you are saying that textures on the console version look better than the PC on full max after the patch? That would be a first to see for me, but I only own the PC version and it looks horrible.

Simple answer to this is that games evolved faster than the hardware that runs them. Gamecube could run a lot of games at 60fps because the resolution was lower, the detail was MUCH lower, the graphical effects were nothing compared to today's games and the size and scope of the landscape of games back then were tiny compared to today's games. It's totally expected.. current consoles are 7 years old (and Nintendo decided to go really cheap on hardware, so lump them in here too...) and game requirements have surpassed what consoles are capable of.

My PC with a i5 3570k/680 runs Crysis 3 on max without AA @ 35-55fps and it looks glorious. I will take that any day over muddy, RAGE textures or 60fps Gamecube games.

It's widely known that the PC port of RAGE was not that great, with issues the consoles versions did not deal with.

And congrats on your expensive gaming PC looking and running better than strict console tech. I wasn't referring to PC games initially, so don't spin it as such. Point was developers could get more out of current consoles tech.

I own 3 consoles and 2 gaming PCs. I was talking about the state of games in general.... and there is a reason that new consoles are coming out, this gen is tapped out. Games like Crysis 3, Far Cry 3 and the Witcher 2 are going to be the norm and it will get even more detailed from here on out.

The console versions of the 3 games I listed above push the current consoles to their absolute limit.,.... and in the case of Far Cry 3, the frame rate dips down into the "teens" frequently. As far as FPS goes, it will just get worse for current gen from here on out.
---
"Everything is bad about the console. It can't play Rugged Stubble Hero 4: Revenge of the guns" -MotiJR on the Wii U
#304iomega311Posted 3/3/2013 10:40:12 PM
Who's to say those games aren't fully optimized for consoles? I'd just like to believe that what we have now is more than capable of 60fps without huge sacrifices to visual fidelity, as it's being proven in some instances this generation. Again, not all games need to be locked at 60fps, but there are games that desperately need to be, like most shooter vying for the online FPS crown that CoD still holds.
---
More proof that committing actual violence inspires the playing of violent video games.
http://backloggery.com/iomega311
#305overkillwfo1978Posted 3/4/2013 12:53:02 AM(edited)
iomega311 posted...
Who's to say those games aren't fully optimized for consoles? I'd just like to believe that what we have now is more than capable of 60fps without huge sacrifices to visual fidelity, as it's being proven in some instances this generation. Again, not all games need to be locked at 60fps, but there are games that desperately need to be, like most shooter vying for the online FPS crown that CoD still holds.

Fact is that 60fps is near impossible with 7-10 year old hardware unless you want to drastically downgrade graphics, and, as history has shown we will be going in the complete opposite direction, graphics-wise. Current consoles are WAY too underpowered for today's games and the longer they are on the market the more poorly they will perform due to higher demanding games. It's been that way for generations now and will continue to go in that direction.

There is clearly going to be a line drawn here. As far as the PS4/720 go? Yeah, I'm sure we will see quite a few 720p/60fps games and possibly some 1080p/60fps games.

The Wii U? Not many, if any at all will hit that plateau once the "next gen" really gets under way. Graphics are constantly improving and the 720/PS4/PC will once again push those boundaries forward like they have always done in the past.... and I say this as a Wii U owner.... graphically and performance wise, especially with 3rd party games, the Wii U is going to take a major hit because of their choice of hardware.
---
"Everything is bad about the console. It can't play Rugged Stubble Hero 4: Revenge of the guns" -MotiJR on the Wii U
#306orcus_snakePosted 3/4/2013 2:57:58 AM
<3333333333333

Netlix is magica, I just closed it last nigth cause I was done watchign HIMYM and then I open it up again and it's right there at the exact time during the episode at which I closed it last night, its magic

:D
---
"Warwick are you jungling"
"No I'm standing by the wolves because I miss my family"
#307_CARLOX_Posted 3/4/2013 3:29:19 AM(edited)
and no. Metroid Prime looks absolute crap by today's standards. So do all games that are below 720/1080. I get nostalgia goggles also for older games, but seriously? Come on. Anything in 480 is going to look like dog crap on my 60" LED. So, when you compare games on the Gamecube to today's absolutely ridiculous super-high res games and can't understand that it takes an absolutely MASSIVE amount of power to run those games, then you are just a lost cause.

lolwut?

Get a better TV.

The point was that games in 480p resolution (which most Gamecube games were) look extremely bad on an HDTV. What was so hard to understand about that. People don't use 36" tube TVs anymore. Metroid Prime looked great on my Trinitron back in the day, it looks like **** on my HDTV and doesn't even come close to the standard of today's games in any way, shape or form.

Seriously, get a better TV.

I've been playing gamecube games in 480i/p this past few weeks on an HDTV and they still look damn fine. And no, no nostalgia goggles in this case, they just do. I was actually quite surprised at how good some of them look for the time they were created.

Also, way to try to make an argument focusing solely on textures when lots of games have those sub-par ones anyway and on PC they are usually either patched way later or made by the community.

What's your next "lesson?" (notice the quotes) That water is wet?

and now you are clearly trolling as you are completely taking my comment out of context. I never "blamed my TV" for anything I was using it as part of a comparison.

Umm... your past posts indicate the opposite.

Anything in 480 is going to look like dog crap on my 60" LED.

And I bet you will brag about something next.

I own 3 consoles and 2 gaming PCs.

Check.

You, sir, are:

clearly trolling

Your words from post #300, not mine.

Good day.

---
http://i.imgur.com/KaLJk.gif
#308overkillwfo1978Posted 3/4/2013 4:25:33 AM
lol. carlox, you clearly have horrible taste if you truly believe that Gamecube games look good nowadays. Horrible taste as a matter of fact. Resolutions under 720p look like crap on larger HDTVs and that, to me, is simple fact. Of course all of these are opinions in both mine and your posts. So whatever. Gamecube games look like crap. End of story.
---
#309_CARLOX_Posted 3/4/2013 5:07:03 AM
Get a better TV, bro.

---
http://i.imgur.com/KaLJk.gif
#31040DribylfPosted 3/4/2013 5:11:44 AM
Yeah, if Gamecube games look "terrible" on your television, then your television sucks at upscaling or is just a terrible television in general.

Just have to turn up the sharpness a lil (and if you calibrated you TV in the first place) and Gamecube games look pretty good. Nothing compared to actual HD content but good.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990