Shigeru Miyamoto "I have never said that video games are an art"

#111emagdnEPosted 2/13/2013 10:13:37 PM
if One Piece constitutes "art", then everything does
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#112ImGanondorfLolPosted 2/13/2013 10:21:26 PM
If drawing a person is art then why isn't creating a digital model of a person art as well?
#113MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 7:04:42 PM
Indeed Nintendo games may not be art but they are still enjoyable for little kids and have its own worth.
#114DivineTruthPosted 2/15/2013 7:13:23 PM
I see where he's coming from. With art, I think the focus is on the piece you're looking at whether it be a movie, photograph, or painting. When painting, your focus is making it more beautiful for the sake of art itself. With video games, his philosophy is the focus should be on the customers. You're not building a game where the focus is on making it more grand and artistic, but instead making it around the idea that everything that goes into the product should satisfy the customer. It should entertain them per se. While I agree with that notion, I also have to say that video games CAN be art even if he feels his games are not.
---
If I agree will you go away?
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1m06xeb7L1qbskzqo1_500.gif
#115shinra35800Posted 2/15/2013 7:23:42 PM
He's not coming from anywhere. He was given an on the spot question and was trying to be modest to compliment the interviewer because they complimented them. Everyone knows that his statement was false.
Toys = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Games = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Drawings = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Music = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Sculptures = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Paintings = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
etc.
#116Baha05Posted 2/15/2013 7:30:04 PM
shinra35800 posted...
He's not coming from anywhere. He was given an on the spot question and was trying to be modest to compliment the interviewer because they complimented them. Everyone knows that his statement was false.
Toys = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Games = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Drawings = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Music = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Sculptures = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
Paintings = provide entertainment = required drawn blueprints = art
etc.

Well except that's not really all true, sure there is a lot of artistic imput in designing pretty much a lot of products. But that's the thing about it, they are products. For the most part you aren't selling them as art. There are exceptions to the rule of course but for the most part it's still a product.

Now art can compliment some products but I'm not going to really give a damn about the artistic look of a toaster aside from matching kitchen decor, it's still a toaster, a product. Not to say you can't enjoy or get turned off by art styles used in anything.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#117shinra35800Posted 2/15/2013 7:34:44 PM
Noun

1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.
#118Baha05Posted 2/15/2013 7:35:47 PM
shinra35800 posted...
Noun

1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
2. Works produced by such skill and imagination.

Yes you have a point but I believe context is a big thing here too.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#119MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 6:14:00 AM
Indeed Nintendo games may not be art but they are still enjoyable for little kids and have its own worth.
#120MuZemike(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 9:16:08 AM
OK I admit Nintendo games are not art. But what is wrong with that? Nintendo games are supposed to entertain little kids so need not be artistic. It is true Miyamoto can not create artistic games but he is a genius for creating games for kids. So please do not blame Miyamoto. Creating products instead of art is not a bad thing and creating games for kids is not a bad thing either. I respect Miyamoto for creating products which entertain kids.
Indeed the quality of Nintendo games may be low but they are very popular for little kids.