Didn't New Super Mario Bros Wii sell more than 25 million copies?

#1PhaseBlackPosted 2/13/2013 5:54:50 AM
You'd think the sequel, New Super Mario Bros. Wii U, being a launch title would move many more Wii Us and being selling much better itself.

I cant blame Nintendo for putting all it's faith in the 2D Mario to carry Wii U sales, it shouldnt have failed to meet expectations. And before you say "Its got a high attach rate ;_;", well it's like one of the few Wii U games worth checking out....

It's not moving Wii U's, thats the problem, Nintendo overestimated how much they could milk the NSMB series
---
PSVita & 3DS
#2nonexistingheroPosted 2/13/2013 5:58:25 AM
Quit trolling. NSMB games aren't system sellers. They're must-haves that a very large chunk of system owners will pick up at some point. And yes, this does mean that when the Wii U reaches 30 million sales, that there will be 10 million NSMBU owners at the very least. Although I personally think it would be closer to 15-20 million. Even right now more than half of the Wii U owners own the game.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#3JobocanPosted 2/13/2013 6:01:48 AM
The NSMB subseries is one that sustains sales through its lifetime. As the Wii U starts selling more units, NSMBU will keep selling. It's not a system seller in and of itself, but it is a series that a lot of people will get in addition to whatever they'll buy their Wii U for.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#4SmashBro25Posted 2/13/2013 6:15:39 AM
NSMBW came out quite a bit later in the Wii's lifespan, after the console already had a massive install base with casuals and hardcore alike. The game appealed directly to casual families since it was a reminder of the original Mario games people's fathers used to play, etc. It was a no brainer purchase on a console most people owned anyway.
---
Check out Pokemon - The Abridged Series at:
http://www.youtube.com/RocketsUnderground
#5PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 6:16:18 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Quit trolling. NSMB games aren't system sellers. They're must-haves that a very large chunk of system owners will pick up at some point. And yes, this does mean that when the Wii U reaches 30 million sales, that there will be 10 million NSMBU owners at the very least. Although I personally think it would be closer to 15-20 million. Even right now more than half of the Wii U owners own the game.

This isn't about how many copies it'll scrape up along the way, this is about a sequel to a 25 million+ seller failing to reel in more Wii U console sales. Nintendo even cut their sales forecast and this was the game that they chose to be the premier title for the Wii U. Are you telling me they put the weight of the Wii U launch on it because they know it doesnt move consoles? Quit fanboying
---
PSVita & 3DS
#6My_UnitPosted 2/13/2013 6:17:59 AM
I will never buy NSMB games no matter how much fanboys try and ram that fat italian plumber down my throat. I played these games back when it was Mario Bros 1, 2 and 3. Time for some innovation Nintendo.
---
(TDPS) The Dedicated Portable Society - Stand together for the general promotion of dedicated portables and the quality software they provide us.
#7PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 6:18:25 AM
Jobocan posted...
The NSMB subseries is one that sustains sales through its lifetime. As the Wii U starts selling more units, NSMBU will keep selling. It's not a system seller in and of itself, but it is a series that a lot of people will get in addition to whatever they'll buy their Wii U for.

25 million+ people bought the Wii game, millions prior had played the DS game. It should have sold many more Wii Us
---
PSVita & 3DS
#8JobocanPosted 2/13/2013 6:20:00 AM
PhaseBlack posted...
Jobocan posted...

25 million+ people bought the Wii game, millions prior had played the DS game. It should have sold many more Wii Us

None of the people who bought those games got the system because of them, that's what you're failing to understand/using as an excuse to troll.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#9PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 6:20:31 AM
SmashBro25 posted...
NSMBW came out quite a bit later in the Wii's lifespan, after the console already had a massive install base with casuals and hardcore alike. The game appealed directly to casual families since it was a reminder of the original Mario games people's fathers used to play, etc. It was a no brainer purchase on a console most people owned anyway.

Like it or not, NSMBW still carried Wii sales momentum and moved consoles. Same for NSMB DS. NSMBU isnt doing that at all
---
PSVita & 3DS
#10PhaseBlack(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 6:22:10 AM
Jobocan posted...
PhaseBlack posted...
Jobocan posted...

None of the people who bought those games got the system because of them, that's what you're failing to understand/using as an excuse to troll.

Show some concrete proof that none of them bought systems for the game. NSMBU failing to sell Wii U's is not proof at all
---
PSVita & 3DS