Do you think PS4 and XBox720 using new controllers will hurt them?

#1sejan12Posted 2/13/2013 2:44:57 PM(edited)
One of the nice things about buying the WiiU was knowing that I already had a full set of working controllers. While I did buy a single Pro Controller, I already had enough functional controllers to play 5 man Sonic Racing and Nintendo Land with my family.

The problem is that the PS4 and XBox720 are reportedly using new controllers.

'The Durango's control pad will be a "natural evolution" of the Xbox 360's pad. . . Xbox 360 controllers won't work with the Durango, as they use what Microsoft is calling a "new wireless technology."'
http://kotaku.com/5982986/we-know-all-about-the-next-xbox-from-someone-who-says-theyve-got-one

http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-playstation-4-has-a-new-controller-fancy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far?tag=orbis

New controllers can be a strength and a weakness simultaneously. On one hand, you are able to include new features and control methods, but on the other hand, it increases the buy in cost of the console. Sure, a single controller will come with the system, but what if you want to play multiplayer? An additional controller is $50. Want to play 4 player local? It'll cost an additional $150.

Will this help or hurt Nintendo's next gen argument? Will they be able to capitalize on this potential weakness of its competition? I have no doubt that one of Nintendo's key points this holiday will be that they are the most cost effective way to enter the next generation. Will a cost effective argument resonate with consumers?
#2Jaime_BennPosted 2/13/2013 2:44:44 PM(edited)
Never hurt Nintendo in the past for having new controllers on every console. Or Sony and Microsoft either...
---
According to Pachter, my i5 and 7850 is weak :(
#3sejan12(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 2:52:55 PM(edited)
To my knowledge, there haven't been any forward compatible controllers since the standard controller ports often used during the 1980s (They were on everything from the Atari 2600, Genesis, Master System, Commodore 64, and more). Even then, consecutive consoles added buttons making the forward compatibility largely useless. It was, however, nice for backwards compatibility. Nothing better than playing Atari games with a much more comfortable Genesis controller.

My question is based on the fact that Nintendo's move in keeping the same controller will make any difference aside from a nice convenience.

The PS2 had the same ports as the PS1, but PS2 games didn't tend to support PS1 controllers.
#4Paulf001Posted 2/13/2013 2:53:48 PM
If it ain't broke don't fix it
#5_Flextacy_Posted 2/14/2013 4:35:42 AM
No, i'm hoping and preying they have new controllers... The 360 controller was my all time fave, but the wii u pro is just as good... however i've always hated the dual shocks.. analogue sticks in a awful position.

One of my biggest issues with the Wii-u was it reused Wii controllers.. and i sold all my wii stuff ages ago, but thats beyond the point.. they should of had wiimotes used only in wii and ware games.. and the wii u games should use the pro controllers.

I also wish controllers would have 6 face buttons like the saturn controllers had, they also had the best dpad ever made, even to this day!.. the dpads on the 360 controllers are a disgrace, even in the revamped one that has the rotating dpad it still wasnt much better, which is why i get all my fighters on PS3.
---
Huge Huge Rockstar
#6EoinPosted 2/14/2013 4:50:26 AM
sejan12 posted...
The PS2 had the same ports as the PS1, but PS2 games didn't tend to support PS1 controllers.

Plenty of PS2 games supported PSone controllers.
#7Red_hot_smasherPosted 2/15/2013 2:23:51 AM
_Flextacy_ posted...
I also wish controllers would have 6 face buttons like the saturn controllers had, they also had the best dpad ever made, even to this day!

So much this!
---
All these organizations for human rights, and yet noone cares about the victims of copyright law. ;(
Sierpinski Triangle = Yo dawg, I heard you like Triforces.