I don't understand why people decry the Wii remote and GamePad as "gimmicks"

#1Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/13/2013 9:14:59 PM
You all must realize that the raw power of the other consoles, and even the raw power of the Wii U versus Wii, and so on, is just a gimmick too right?

HD graphics, 720p, 1080p, photorealism, HDR, and all those other buzzwords related to graphics are but fancy gimmicks, just like motion controls, online support, and vibration. There's no point in criticizing Nintendo for gimmicks when every game system has them. And it's not as though the Wii is inherently more enjoyable than the SNES, or the 3DS is more enjoyable than the PS2.
#2HungtotheoverPosted 2/13/2013 9:23:29 PM
Omg I know right
---
Big racks are awesome....................................more space for games. -gamefaqs
#3TheCelticArcherPosted 2/13/2013 9:23:54 PM
People just want to find a reason to hate Nintendo because they find it "kiddy" and it doesn't matter how good something is, if it has colorful graphics and an E rating, they will hate it for not being "mature".
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (360), Anarchy Reigns (PS3), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, & New Super Mario Bros. U.
#4kingofall214Posted 2/13/2013 9:25:05 PM
The Wii Mote is a bad gimmick (IMO). The gamepad seems like a decent idea though. I wouldn't call that a gimmick.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#5SlimeSwayzePosted 2/13/2013 9:26:04 PM
The work "gimmick" often implies some sort of trick or shallow contrivance to draw attention to a product. Nothing about increasing the resources available to developers to make better looking, smoother, and all around better performing games is a gimmick. Motion controls and touch pads, to me, do qualify as a gimmick, and I think it applies to the Wii, Kinect, and Move. I actually think it is too early to tell with the Wii U, as the second screen may prove to somehow revolutionize gaming. But so far, I don't see it.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#6kingofall214Posted 2/13/2013 9:26:35 PM
TheCelticArcher posted...
People just want to find a reason to hate Nintendo because they find it "kiddy" and it doesn't matter how good something is, if it has colorful graphics and an E rating, they will hate it for not being "mature".

Or they think shaking a control at the tv is dumb.
---
http://psnprofiles.com/kingofall214
#7PSOLavisPosted 2/13/2013 9:29:54 PM
kingofall214 posted...
The Wii Mote is a bad gimmick (IMO). The gamepad seems like a decent idea though. I wouldn't call that a gimmick.

Than you are ignorant to the definition of gimmick. Try learning what things mean before you decide to form an opinion on them.
#8TheCelticArcherPosted 2/13/2013 9:30:40 PM
kingofall214 posted...

Or they think shaking a control at the tv is dumb.

Well, they don't have to, just enjoy gaming in general. Remember when it was about having fun with games and not that "I don't like this so it must be a gimmick" attitude that people have. Nobody is making them play it and I guess people sometimes just have a mindset that the product they chose is superior to everyone else's.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Black 2, Final Fantasy XIII-2 (360), Anarchy Reigns (PS3), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, & New Super Mario Bros. U.
#9Emerald_Melios(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:31:07 PM

Heh....as if they even know what "mature" really means.
#10SlimeSwayzePosted 2/13/2013 9:39:26 PM
PSOLavis posted...
kingofall214 posted...

Than you are ignorant to the definition of gimmick. Try learning what things mean before you decide to form an opinion on them.

Many words have several definitions, and what's interesting about the word "gimmick" is that the wiimote actually fits several of them. So before you go around calling other people "ignorant" maybe you should at least have a stronger grasp of the matter at hand before making some silly post.

I will even help you. Here are a few definitions that can easily be uncovered through a simply google search, or just opening a dictionary:

--unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries.

--something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity.

--an ingenious and usually new scheme or angle.

As you can see, the word can have both good and bad connotations. The poster that you replied to seemed to imply that the Wii was closer to a "bad gimmick". I agree with him, though I also agree with him that the Wii U seems to be more practical, and I think it will prove to be more successful in terms of truly adding more depth to the experience. We'll see.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.