I hope this DKCR port doesn't hurt the chances for a sequel on the Wii U.

#11FFXIgaiaknightPosted 2/15/2013 3:10:22 AM
ImGanondorfLol posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Would anyone else be saddened if Retro was working on this port? Not because they are porting it, but because this is what they've been working on.

I'm just wondering if Retro is working on another series, who the heck is going to make a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns? They seem like a small studio and I'm not sure if they can work on 2 big games at once. After the great reception and sales DKCR received would they really just pass it onto another developer or put the series on hold for who knows how long?

retro possibly when there done witht here first wii u title
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls Skyrim: Dragonborn (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#12ImGanondorfLol(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 3:14:32 AM
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
ImGanondorfLol posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Would anyone else be saddened if Retro was working on this port? Not because they are porting it, but because this is what they've been working on.

I'm just wondering if Retro is working on another series, who the heck is going to make a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns? They seem like a small studio and I'm not sure if they can work on 2 big games at once. After the great reception and sales DKCR received would they really just pass it onto another developer or put the series on hold for who knows how long?

Which would be a long time from now. :(
A Donkey Kong Country game would look beautiful on the Wii U, I can't wait to see it.
#13FFXIgaiaknightPosted 2/15/2013 3:21:26 AM
ImGanondorfLol posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
ImGanondorfLol posted...
DiscostewSM posted...

Which would be a long time from now. :(
A Donkey Kong Country game would look beautiful on the Wii U, I can't wait to see it.

apparently retros game was ready to be shown off last year at E3 but was held back also i have a feeling the game is closer to being done that we think.
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls Skyrim: Dragonborn (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#14DeathSoul2000Posted 2/15/2013 4:30:15 AM
i hope it does. i don't want 2d platformers on wii u, i want them on the 3ds thank you very much.
#15noutBrPosted 2/15/2013 6:18:28 AM
Handheld ports of console games are usually handled by another team so the original team can work on another bigger project. So I wouldn't worry too much about Retro putting many resources in the 3DS version of DKC:R.

But it is indeed a curious thing that if Retro is working on something different than another DKC.....who is going to make the sequel? It would be a bit weird to give the IP to another developer since Retro did such a good job, much like the Metroid Prime series they will hopefully work on the sequels too.

But judging from the success Retro has with their interpretations of established Nintendo franchises I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo gave Retro another "secondary" IP to work with. Star Fox is the most likely because of obvious reasons and Miyamoto mentioned in an interview that he had no plans on making another F-Zero game because he didn't understand why that would be necessary (stupid!).
---
m e g a m a n f o r e v e r
#16Thunderbird8Posted 2/15/2013 7:51:52 PM
ImGanondorfLol posted...
Thunderbird8 posted...
Judging by the preview on the eShop, DKCR 3D is the same levels. So even if it is Retro working on it (which I figure it probably is), they probably don't have a very large staff working on it at all (it's said that Prime Trilogy had a barebones staff working on it while the rest of the team was working on DKCR).

Barebones staff for the Trilogy on one CD or barebones staff developing each game in the series?

The Metroid Prime Trilogy disc. Given some of the things that have been said about the development on the original game versions (and the size of the credits for each game), it's pretty clear that those versions didn't have a barebones team :P.