So did all the devs do it wrong? Criterion seems to be on to something (not NFS)

#1deadANDrottedPosted 2/14/2013 2:51:28 PM
So I'm sure just about everybody had that devs demo shoved in their face. Criterion made a great port! (so fat. At launch the truth will be out.) Now this got me thinking. Is the Wii U closer to a PC than a traditional console on the develpment side of things? Thus none of the PS360 ports surpassed their counterparts. Criterion comes along and ports from the PC rather than the 360 and magic happens. I don't know much about developement but I do fallow it. I wonder if future devs will try this route as well. It maybe the untapped potential that everybody has been looking for out of the Wii U. (SORRY FOR THE WALL OF TEXT. ON MY PHONE AND IT DOESN'T DO LINE BREAKS FOR PARAGRAPHS)
#2xerofyre0Posted 2/14/2013 2:53:49 PM
i hope the game is successfull so other publishers take note. they obviously were able to tap into potential that other devs besides frozenbyte have not been able to see
---
Free Game Giveaway-
http://www.down-rightfierce.com/2012/06/free-game-giveaway-club-nintendo.html
#3Virus66Posted 2/14/2013 3:06:20 PM
I think it says something about the Wii U that it can match toe to toe with the PC version and possibly more. They did say that it was the best looking version of the game. That would imply it outdoes the PC as well. Seems weird. Then again, I'm sure a lot of the ports that came out around launch were not using final dev kits and were ported with very little care (little to no optimization from 360 code).
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#4Skill4ReelPosted 2/14/2013 3:15:56 PM
While the game did look great in the demo, I think a lot of people are making too much of what the guy said. If the game is using PC assets, then it will look like the PC version of the game. I seriously think that he meant to say the Wii U version was the best looking console version of the game.

That's just me though. Either way, I don't care. The game looks great. I will be buying it again for Wii U.
#5_FalstaffPosted 2/14/2013 3:27:48 PM
Virus66 posted...
They did say that it was the best looking version of the game. That would imply it outdoes the PC as well.

I took that comment to mean that it looks better than the other console versions, but not PC, mostly because I'm not sure how they would go about porting the PC code but making it better in the process.
---
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.
#6deadANDrotted(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 3:33:30 PM
I doubt it beats the PC version. I don't think any console ever will be better than a high end PC. I also don't put graphics under a microscope like some and still love a good 8-bit game. But I do love me some eye candy when available. Also, considering I haven't bought a NFS sense which ever 1 was near the launch on the 360 I know this will be a day 1 buy.
#7Prototype82Posted 2/14/2013 3:35:57 PM
Doesn't matter how well the port is. Nintendrones aren't going to buy the game because its not Mario Kart.
#8fhsfootball74Posted 2/14/2013 3:40:33 PM
I think Criterion just proves what most already knew . The Wii U has a different architecture when compared to PS3 and 360. When a game takes advantage of the Wii U's strong points like Need for Speed you will see a jump in visual quality. When you lazily port Assassin's Creed III obviously its not going to run well.
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#9meathoven2Posted 2/14/2013 3:42:38 PM
Doesn't matter how well the port is. Nintendrones aren't going to buy the game because its not Mario Kart.

^That^, Also unfortunately anyone who wants the game probably already owns it. I have it on 360 and can't really see myself buying it again for the wii u.
---
And yet your national sports are a weak, watered down babies first rugby and the mentally challenged stepson of cricket. - Hhhmmm
#10P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/14/2013 3:44:17 PM
fhsfootball74 posted...
I think Criterion just proves what most already knew . The Wii U has a different architecture when compared to PS3 and 360. When a game takes advantage of the Wii U's strong points like Need for Speed you will see a jump in visual quality. When you lazily port Assassin's Creed III obviously its not going to run well.

AC3 was a bad analogy as the game runs fine and better in some cases. The key games to point out as lazy are Arkham City and Madden
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece