The 360 only sold 3.2 million units from 11/22/05 to 3/31/06...

#11Sailor GoonPosted 2/14/2013 10:17:30 PM
The Wii U has sold 3.06 million units by the end of January.

It actually didnt
---
"The Vita sold six times more than the 3DS so far" - n0matter
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#12knightimexPosted 2/14/2013 10:18:32 PM
M$ used RROD to land more sales as well as introduce the slim model that won't RROD.

Genius!
---
Old School Games FTW!
#13iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 10:18:51 PM
TheKoolAidShoto posted...
FlyinTonite posted...
Once the Wii U get's a steady stream of games like the 3ds it'll be right as rain. "

Yeah, all those 3d Mario/Smash/Zelda/Metroid/Star Fox/F-Zero/Pikmin/etc worked wonders for the GameCube

It actually did. The GC had over 600 games, and still ended up making money for Nintendo.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#14AhnoldDoodPosted 2/14/2013 10:20:43 PM
Sailor Goon posted...

It actually didnt

[citation needed]
#15DiscostewSMPosted 2/14/2013 10:22:18 PM
So the Wii U is beating out the XBox 1.5 during their initial launches?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#16TheKoolAidShotoPosted 2/14/2013 10:23:40 PM(edited)
iKhanic posted...
TheKoolAidShoto posted...
FlyinTonite posted...
Once the Wii U get's a steady stream of games like the 3ds it'll be right as rain. "

Yeah, all those 3d Mario/Smash/Zelda/Metroid/Star Fox/F-Zero/Pikmin/etc worked wonders for the GameCube

It actually did. The GC had over 600 games, and still ended up making money for Nintendo.

Selling GC level numbers certainly won't be "right as rain". The system's largely considered a failure by Nintendo. Going from 100m sales to 20m+ isn't exactly praise-worthy estimations.
---
You know who's sexy? Black Turtle, the 2010 Games Contest Guru Winner, that's who!
#17Sailor GoonPosted 2/14/2013 10:22:32 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Sailor Goon posted...

It actually didnt

[citation needed]

Citation is everywhere, kiddo. Nintendo SHIPPED 3 million units, not sold.
---
"The Vita sold six times more than the 3DS so far" - n0matter
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#18rudgerlightPosted 2/14/2013 10:22:49 PM
PSOLavis posted...
iKhanic posted...

360: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360

Wii U: http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-slices-wii-u-sales-forecast-but-expects-to-return-to-profit-6403117

Tell me again how the Wii U is going to kill Nintendo? The 360 was also sold at a loss, and was released at a similar time.

Well it won't kill Nintendo, but it is a failure. Also in 360's defense for its sales from the perspective of the average gamefaqs Nintedo fan "M$ is the worst company ever, hal sucks, GoW sucks, and xbox sucks" You would assume this abomination with no good games would sell 1/2 as much as the Wii U, yet it didn't. How does that make the Wii U look good? Also the 360 was more expenisve, was not the 10+ year old competitor in the gaming market, and didn't try to appeal to casual gamers primarily.

The 360 launched with a $300 and $400 model. It was barely "more expensive". I would argue that both Wii U and 360 suffered by having two SKUs with one of them being obviously worse by comparison. PS3 did the same thing....but worse.
#19PSOLavisPosted 2/14/2013 10:22:55 PM
iKhanic posted...
PSOLavis posted...
iKhanic posted...

360: http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Xbox_360

Wii U: http://www.gamespot.com/news/nintendo-slices-wii-u-sales-forecast-but-expects-to-return-to-profit-6403117

Tell me again how the Wii U is going to kill Nintendo? The 360 was also sold at a loss, and was released at a similar time.

Well it won't kill Nintendo, but it is a failure. Also in 360's defense for its sales from the perspective of the average gamefaqs Nintedo fan "M$ is the worst company ever, hal sucks, GoW sucks, and xbox sucks" You would assume this abomination with no good games would sell 1/2 as much as the Wii U, yet it didn't. How does that make the Wii U look good? Also the 360 was more expenisve, was not the 10+ year old competitor in the gaming market, and didn't try to appeal to casual gamers primarily.

Please tell me about all of these great Wii U launch titles. Multiplats and ports don't count, because you can just get those for the other systems. Plus, the power increase for the 8th generation doesn't make as notable a difference as the shift to HD that the 360 had. So multiplats aren't going to sell anything, they're just there to keep you from not buying the system because of bad 3rd party support.

@ ahnoold: Stating facts is not trolling last I checked, and you claim I made up behavior? That is plain and simple a flat out lie. You can't find many prominent posters here that post exactly what I said, although usually the hate is directed at Sony. Also, Wii u base price is $300, I believe the 360 was $400. If I recall correcly you consider a $100 difference small. What a load of crap.

@iKhanic: There are no great Wii U games...the best they have is 7/10 games imo. Why did you even bring that up, to point out that we both agree the Wii U's library sucks?
#20kaiser ryuPosted 2/14/2013 10:25:26 PM
Direct comparisons of raw numbers, oh my! Microsoft had a lot to prove with the launch of the 360. It was competing with the PS2 at its launch, there was still strong positive buzz around Sony. A lot of "wait and see" mentality was around for the PS3. What the 360 did right wasn't an outstanding launch, it was aggressive third party acquisition, a slow built user base in preparation for the PS3 a year after it's release, and Sony then managing to absolutely drop the ball. Microsoft won by comparison to its contemporary. They slowly built strength up by defining a reputation as a company with more than Halo to back it. It didn't hurt that Nintendo's market strategy for gen 7 was "screw you guys, we're going home.". Microsoft was left with next to no direct competition for a good two years (or more depending on how you view the PS3s terrible catalog for the first half of it's life). They were a diesel engine in a generation with abysmal or at least unconventional competition.

On the flip we have an under performing follow up to one of the best selling consoles of all time. An important consideration concerning the shadow the Wii U is under is that the Wii never did garner a large "conventional" gamer install base. A lot of its huge numbers were grabbed by a unique controller with positive buzz and a low price point meaning curiosity could be satisfied more easily on a whim than say by investing in a $600 mammoth machine promising to be the gaming equivalent of fine dining while providing next to no food for years. The Wii U is just in a different gaming environment. It's competing with the Wii this time, not the PS2. There is no wait and see for Nintendo, their casual base is just happy with the Wii. Poor marketing is doing them no favor either. There really is no buzz for the Wii U. Just an unenthusiastic sort of bemusement over just what we're supposed to think about the new controller.
---
The Tales of series needs more love in America.
Won't change sig until Namco gets wise. Started: 9/8/06