Why did Nintendo release the Wii U? (read OP pls)

#1MilesTeg420Posted 2/14/2013 11:27:07 PM
my friend and i were discussing the wii u recently, and i feel like he brought up a valid point. why did nintendo release the wii u now?

why did the wii stop selling? it wasnt because of HD. it wasnt the controller. it wasnt limited online capabilities. it was because nintendo stopped developing and releasing games for it. a choice was clearly made, that we are gonna stop supporting this console. sales went from might break ps2 records, to completely falling off a cliff and still not yet at the 100M mark after it seemed destined to exceed that by a large margin.

fast forward to wii u. the system clearly wasnt ready for release. developers got final dev kits way too late to be expected to release simultaneously with other versions of games. theres no games, its the same problem as the wii, except now at the beginning of the generation instead of end, and nintendos own first party is just not there right now, unlike early on with wii.

after the wii's lack of games in the last few years left a bad taste in many peoples mouths, the worst mistake you can make is to have a repeat of that situation with your new console. and yet thats what we have here. they should have waited a year even if it meant going head to head with microsoft and sony christmas 2013. if youre not ready youre not ready, and i think the lack of first party games, sluggish os, and overall 3rd party support is an indicator of this, among other things. i mean, theres not even a wii sports available on this system yet - possibly the biggest draw of the wii name isnt even there.

because of this, i think the verdict is out in the general public - the wii name has officially become a bad thing. it means no games. wii = no games. its that thing thats never turned on, and thats not good for the wii u moving forward.
#2AhnoldDoodPosted 2/14/2013 11:28:34 PM
What the crap am I reading.
#3FoppePosted 2/14/2013 11:29:01 PM
Because everybody and their mother already owned a Wii?
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site. -CJayC
#4Banjo2553Posted 2/14/2013 11:33:17 PM
The Wii stopped selling because practically everyone owned one.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#5FlyinTonitePosted 2/14/2013 11:34:24 PM
I love how you attempt to have some semblance of grammar, complete with commas and periods, only to fail to capitalize the first letter of every sentence.
---
Apathetic since I don't care when.
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#6ADHDguitarPosted 2/14/2013 11:34:38 PM
Banjo2553 posted...
The Wii stopped selling because practically everyone owned one.

---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#7jagger_wandererPosted 2/14/2013 11:41:00 PM
Why does this sound so much like how the ps vita is doing?
---
Joy is to the ears that hear not the mouth that speaks.
Chronicles of the Unbeliever
#8MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:41:56 PM
its always been my mo. i dont capitalize. i typed that on the wii u gamepad, took long enough as it is. my pc's out of commission right now.
#9MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 11:51:28 PM
also, the ps2's 150m+ number tells you there were still people to sell the console to. the lack of games directly coresponds with the decline in sales. you didnt have any ps2 owners complaining about lack of games in it's last few years, did you?
#10AhnoldDoodPosted 2/14/2013 11:57:42 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
also, the ps2's 150m+ number tells you there were still people to sell the console to. the lack of games directly coresponds with the decline in sales. you didnt have any ps2 owners complaining about lack of games in it's last few years, did you?

The PS2 mostly sold by being a DVD player.