Has Nintendo ever expressed interest in remaking the first two Zelda games?

#21Jon Talbain(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:20:51 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
It would be great if they remade Zelda II, but with more modern sidescrolling mechanics. Give us new abilities, like maybe jumping off of walls, and a long reach with the sword, as well as manual blocking (meaning, you'd have to hold a button to block, but you'd be capable of blocking more than projectiles), bigger levels, more enemies, and a return of classic Zelda items (which wouldn't help in boss fights, but with puzzles and such).

I could see it being a nice addition to the Eshop.

Everyone has great thoughts and ideas, but I really liked this one. I didn't think of them remaking it this way, it might actually work better than the 3D take. Nintendo is sitting on an even bigger gold mine if they remake games like this.
---
As long as you believe in yourself, nothing may overcome you.
#22Jon Talbain(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 11:26:29 AM
Dinglesteed posted...
Jon Talbain posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
Zelda II bleh.

Zelda 1, absolutely. If they remade Zelda 1 in 3D it'd end up being a lot like Dark Souls.

LOL, why didn't you like Zelda II? Wow, Zelda like Dark Souls.....that would be really interesting.

Dinglesteed posted...
Zelda II is actually one of my sleeper favorites. Sure, it was a big change but it was actually one of, if the the most challenging Zelda games I've played. Especially if you don't farm XP bags to level up quickly.

LOL, right. I am glad to see someone else enjoyed Zelda II. But did you actually understand the story or what was going on? Maybe you could help me out.

The story in II wasn't a main focus of that game it seems. You just kind of get thrown into the world and solve puzzles and clear castles. There was a story but it wasn't presented very well. The challenging (and somewhat infuriating!) gameplay is what made Zelda II stand out.

You can read about the story here though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_II:_The_Adventure_of_Link#Plot

Thanks, I will definitely check this out. Thanks for your help too P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N.
---
As long as you believe in yourself, nothing may overcome you.
#23Fear the MONKEYPosted 2/15/2013 11:56:04 AM
aaroncort posted...
Fear the MONKEY posted...
aaroncort posted...
Dinglesteed posted...
Zelda II is actually one of my sleeper favorites. Sure, it was a big change but it was actually one of, if the the most challenging Zelda games I've played. Especially if you don't farm XP bags to level up quickly.

Dude, zelda II is really bad. You're right in that it's challenging but it's challenging because it's poorly made compared to what we expect from a nintendo game.

I'd love a remake if they do it right. I think zelda II would make a great metroidvania style game particularly if there are some great puzzles.

I'm not sure if the first zelda needs a remake since LttP and all the game boy versions are pretty much remakes of that first only better done.

how was it poorly made? i agree with the dinglesteed where zelda 2 is one of my favorite sleeper games as well. i dont see what the big cry over it was. sure it differed in style from zelda 1, but it was only 1 game. i applaud them for trying something new. no way does it deserve the hate it gets

Here's what I meant by it being poorly made. It's hard it a very cheap way. There are parts where it's not about skill but just dumb luck. Even after learning enemy patterns, it's just luck if you're in the right position to dodge the next attack. You just aren't equipped to deal with some of what the game throws at you in the latter parts of the game.

The games so cheap that it's hard even with saved states. You will also definitely run out of magic on later levels making it impossible to progress, with enemies so cheap that you won't be able to farm them for MP vials with out taking a lot of damage and probably dying.

Before you give me the "lulz you suck" mantra, just no....no. this game is hard in a cheap way.

That being said there are quite a few parts of the game that are really good. I liked having a exp system in zelda. I liked having a realized world like a metroid or later castlevania game. A world that you could re explore at your leisure. It had good qualities, i'm not going to argue with that. But fundamentally the game was bad for a nintendo game.

yeah sorry, i get defensive over zelda 2 cuz i love the game so much lol. after reading what you said, its hard to argue some points. as a kid with no internet or nintendo power cheats or whatever, it took me a month to realize i had to press B (flute?) on the spider on the second continent lol. the flying eye guys who steal exp in the last levels leading up to the final castle were SO annoying. so hard to get around them. getting struck mid-jump meant falling to your death. but most NES classics did this (castlevania, ninja gaiden, etc).
---
psn id: FearTheMonkey