Is it safe to say Nintendo will not win this generation?

#31TerotrousPosted 2/15/2013 12:02:53 PM(edited)
I really don't know who anyone thinks is in a position to sell huge numbers and beat Nintendo. PS2 era Sony is gone, they've completely changed their strategy and now they have no money left, and XBox's gradual increase in market share won't be enough to pull past Nintendo for at least one more generation.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#32deathsaber79Posted 2/15/2013 12:07:45 PM
Its too soon to judge anything .

Unfortuantely, nintendo did NOT learn from their mistake from the 3DS, in that you have to launch a console with games people want to play. Yet another low tech "new" super mario game and nintendoland with nothing to follow for months doesn't cut it. (they were hardly games people have been waiting for)

Steel Diver, pilotwings, and nintendogs didn't cut it for 3DS either.

The 3DS performed a little better since Nintendos handheld marketshare is much healthier than its console presence. That said, 3DS turned around once it got its first exclusive AAA first party games (Marioland 3d and Mario Kart), and Wii U will dovery well too once it gets it's true must-have pieces of software.

Look, the ps3/720 can tank too- they are following a very long estabished line of consoles that still sell well, have a decent pipeline of games coming, will undoubtedly have new call of duty/battlefield available- asking people to pay $400+ to play a handful of launch games this holiday could be too much of a stretch.

Like Wii U, you'll have people standing by waiting for either
1. A bigger library of games to come and justify that purchase (since they don't want an expensive paperweight, which is what tends to happen with launch consoles at first)
2. a price drop.

So don't call any winners in this console race just yet.
#33geneticsftwPosted 2/15/2013 12:11:26 PM
User Name CelestialMind
User ID 6728018
Board User Level 15: New User (1)
Awarded to users with at least 3 Karma. Can create 5 topics, 50 messages per day. Can delete own messages, close topics.
Account Created Friday, February 8, 2013 6:48 PM
Last Visit Friday, February 15, 2013 2:10 PM
Karma 6
Active Messages Posted 40
---
Sweet
#34tizzywilkillyouPosted 2/15/2013 12:14:50 PM
deathsaber79 posted...
Its too soon to judge anything .

Unfortuantely, nintendo did NOT learn from their mistake from the 3DS, in that you have to launch a console with games people want to play. Yet another low tech "new" super mario game and nintendoland with nothing to follow for months doesn't cut it. (they were hardly games people have been waiting for)

Steel Diver, pilotwings, and nintendogs didn't cut it for 3DS either.

The 3DS performed a little better since Nintendos handheld marketshare is much healthier than its console presence. That said, 3DS turned around once it got its first exclusive AAA first party games (Marioland 3d and Mario Kart), and Wii U will dovery well too once it gets it's true must-have pieces of software.

Look, the ps3/720 can tank too- they are following a very long estabished line of consoles that still sell well, have a decent pipeline of games coming, will undoubtedly have new call of duty/battlefield available- asking people to pay $400+ to play a handful of launch games this holiday could be too much of a stretch.

Like Wii U, you'll have people standing by waiting for either
1. A bigger library of games to come and justify that purchase (since they don't want an expensive paperweight, which is what tends to happen with launch consoles at first)
2. a price drop.

So don't call any winners in this console race just yet.

This.

When the entry bar for the PS4/720 is likely minimum $399 (with no game), I wouldn't expect any miracles. The dudebros will still be able to play MW4 and Madden 25 on their PS360s.

The Wii U is still tracking ahead of both PS3 and 360 in first 3 months of US sales. Way too soon to make any concrete determinations. Let's talk in January 2014 and see where we stand.
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#35Oni_TaedoPosted 2/15/2013 12:30:45 PM
Kaleliskalel posted...
CelestialMind posted...
They won the last gen. But before that during GC and n64 they were firmly at the bottom of the barrel.

But it looks they are once again at the bottom of the barrel again.

how exactly did they win? by the number of consoles sold? so if i have sex with 1000 fat ugly chicks and my friend has sex with mila kunis, i win? no sir sorry but the wii was a joke console, terrible graphics stupid wiimote everything about it was laughable. sorry but the fight was between ps3 and 360, wii wasnt even in the running, the wii is like internet explorer, just because there are far more people using it than chrome, doesnt make it a better browser....

Your third question makes you sound like a shallow dolt.
Why do they have to be fat AND ugly? Are you unaware that beauty can come in all sizes?
I'm not one for heftier women, but I've certainly seen some that could be classified as hot, by any means.

That was just me busting your chops. I'll get serious, now.

The Wii had several games that actually look better than a lot of PS3 and 360 titles. Does HD mean that a game looks great? No. Games like Fallout 3, and Colonial Marines are still ugly as hell, even in HD. For an SD game, Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Skyward Sword all look great. As does Other M, Revenge of King Piccolo, DKCR, Sonic Colours, and Kirby's Return to Dreamland.

And the Wiimote, well, if it was the same Wiimote we had at launch, I'd agree with you. But due to not only the Wiimotion+, but developers eventually learning that motion controls aren't something you can just tack on, the Wiimote has become the best means for motion controls yet on a console. It's not perfect, but leaps and bounds beyond it's competitors. And it works well in most cases. Case in point, Skyward Sword, Red Steel 2, Goldeneye, the CoD games use it really well too.
At first it was a stupid ass gimmick, I'll admit. But as developers got a little more creative, it actually started to function like it should have.

I'd say, that the sheer amount of exclusives that the Wii U has that kick ass, easily makes it much better than the PS3 and the 360. You can have either a PS3 and a 360. And still get the exact same games. All the best games of last gen are on either console, MK9, Skullgirls, UMvC3, Arkham Asylum, Hitman Absolution, etc. But if you want killer exclusives, you go out, and you buy a Wii. Exclusives on it are memorable, and fun, and almost always awesome. And most of them (sans Other M, and Skyward Sword) are easy contenders for best game of last gen.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
Hit me up for a match, always looking for new sparring partners.
#36ElectricMolePosted 2/15/2013 12:49:24 PM
Why do sales matter again?

even the worst seller still continues on to next generation and still produces software and games. There's nothing to fear; sales high or low.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#37ShinChuckPosted 2/15/2013 1:47:38 PM
Terotrous posted...
Also, Dreamcast wasn't all that cheap.

Actually, it was: it launched at $199.99, and that was a pretty big deal, even a decade ago. To put it into perspective: the Playstation launched at $299.99, the Saturn was $399.99, and yes, the N64 was $199.99 at launch... three years prior, and the SNES was at $199.99... ten years before that. The later PS2 and Xbox launched at $299.99.

The Dreamcast has one of the cheapest launch prices of any major system, not even factoring in inflation, which would make it cheaper than the N64 or SNES. The price point was quite notable at the the time.
---
GamerTag: ShinChuck, PSN: ShinChuck1
http://homepage.mac.com/shinchuck - Video games, YouTube, Deviantart, Etcetera.