After eating out I did my usual round at gamestop. What happened?

#1LightgamerPosted 2/16/2013 2:17:16 PM
I walked in, browsed, and then checked out the Wii U for once. I had fun playing with the tablet screen while my girlfriend played Super Mario Bros U. I saved her ass from falling to her death by merely tapping blocks into existence. I thought, that this is actually the most perfect way for us to play co operatively in video games and have fun (Tried Portal 2 co-op on 360, not fun after 5 minutes).

Well after a little kid is just awed by watching us play and looks like he wants a go at it. The little kid in me thinks hell no I got here first. I was a gentleman about it and we let that kid play. Soon he says to his mommy "Mom look it's the Wii U" Mommy: "No you already have a Wii"

Yup pretty much every raunchy family had gotten themselves Wiis last gen. Every casual family and their grandmothers. Most of these people are not going to buy a Wii "U" because they already have a Wii. In there eyes there is no difference.
---
Xbox Live: GodintheGalaxy, PSN: EuphoricJudas
#2iKhanicPosted 2/16/2013 2:20:11 PM
That was Nintendo's gravest error with the Wii U. Casuals and small kids don't know the difference. When I was a kid, I didn't know the difference between a GBC and GBA and GBASP. Thus, I never got a GBA.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#3AlustarPosted 2/16/2013 2:23:13 PM
Same thing happens with the 3DS too. When I was working at GameStop stupid people would come in look at it and dismiss it as the same thing as a DS only in 3D and that it was stupid.

Further back though too I would be asked if PS3 games worked in their PS2's or Xbox 360 games in the original Xbox. People are just stupid and it takes them years to figure out that they are wrong.

I DO think though that Wii U should have dropped the Wii brand entirely but, it uses Wii accessories so it made sense to stay with the Wii brand. I wish they would have named it something more distinct, and less abstract to spell it out to the stupid masses and simply called the System, Wii 2 or Super Wii... Actually Super Wii would be horrible, I can see the memes already.
#4Killeryoshi8Posted 2/16/2013 2:24:25 PM(edited)
They have all the right to be confused, because even the games are like. Games like Black Ops 2 and Mass Effect 3? Everyone has seen that already.

And the current Wii U flagship title, New Super Mario Bros U, also doesn't look any different from New Super Mario Bros Wii.
---
Blockscape - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SFKlNskaRPU&feature=fvwp
#5Board_hunter567Posted 2/16/2013 2:27:04 PM
This problem isn't going to be exclusive to Nintendo.
#6SlimeSwayzePosted 2/16/2013 2:28:40 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...

Prove it.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#7Wiiplayer111Posted 2/16/2013 2:29:32 PM
Board_hunter567 posted...

This.

This problem has been pretty much been happening to all consoles and technology in general.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#8DiscostewSMPosted 2/16/2013 2:29:40 PM
Isn't the next Xbox called just "Xbox"? If that's true, you know there will be people who'll think Microsoft is simply re-releasing their first console.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#9Skill4ReelPosted 2/16/2013 2:30:23 PM
I don't think it's as much parents being uninformed and not knowing what the Wii U is, as much as it is them just not wanting to buy their kids another game console.

When I was a kid in the 80's, the NES (which I got later than pretty much everyone else) was the last console that my mother ever bought me. I remember telling her about the Super Nintendo, and how much I wanted one. Her response was, "You already have a Nintendo, don't you? Then you better play that. I'm not buying anymore game machines."

The Wii U is something a parent will probably buy when they want one. IMO it is not as practical for children as the Wii was, which has been one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes in marketing.
#10P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/16/2013 2:39:49 PM
I was at gamestop before Christmas and a mother refused to get her child a 360 because he already had a PS3. My own mom refused to let me have a Dreamcast way back when because I already had a PS1 and N64.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece