After eating out I did my usual round at gamestop. What happened?

#11rudgerlightPosted 2/16/2013 1:39:56 PM
Over the holidays I heard two mothers talking about what game to get for their kids. They were in the Wii section.

One of them said, "I heard they released a new one."
The other replied, "Already?!"

I jumped in to inform them that the Wii had been out for 6 years and both of them seemed shocked to hear this.

Honestly, this is why I'm not concerned about the Wii U (or the Vita for that matter). The system is made, it can sit on the shelf while Nintendo builds a catalog, and then they can push it to the masses again next holiday. Most people honestly don't follow these things. If everybody here truly believes (as they should) that there was market confusion and most people were unaware what the Wii U even was, then you have to conclude that Nintendo can do another big push next year once they have titles. And again, same for Sony with the Vita. I'll honestly be shocked if Sony doesn't make the Vita tempting enough for me with some kind of PS4 bundle.

R&D is the worst part. They're over that hurdle. Now they have years to constantly redefine the system based on who they want to market to.
#12drizzt240Posted 2/16/2013 1:41:33 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#13rudgerlightPosted 2/16/2013 1:42:07 PM
drizzt240 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Isn't the next Xbox called just "Xbox"? If that's true, you know there will be people who'll think Microsoft is simply re-releasing their first console.

I hope you are kidding, you imbecile.

You are giving far too much credit to the average consumer.
#14iKhanicPosted 2/16/2013 1:42:30 PM
Skill4Reel posted...
I don't think it's as much parents being uninformed and not knowing what the Wii U is, as much as it is them just not wanting to buy their kids another game console.

When I was a kid in the 80's, the NES (which I got later than pretty much everyone else) was the last console that my mother ever bought me. I remember telling her about the Super Nintendo, and how much I wanted one. Her response was, "You already have a Nintendo, don't you? Then you better play that. I'm not buying anymore game machines."

The Wii U is something a parent will probably buy when they want one. IMO it is not as practical for children as the Wii was, which has been one of Nintendo's biggest mistakes in marketing.

Now that I think about it, I had to split the cost of the GC and the Wii with my family. Though I have awesome parents, and my dad still plays VGs.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#15Killeryoshi8Posted 2/16/2013 1:42:47 PM
drizzt240 posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
Isn't the next Xbox called just "Xbox"? If that's true, you know there will be people who'll think Microsoft is simply re-releasing their first console.

I hope you are kidding, you imbecile.

Except the new Xbox will be an upgrade of what we already have.
---
Blockscape - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=SFKlNskaRPU&feature=fvwp
#16PSOLavisPosted 2/16/2013 1:43:39 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#17DeathSoul2000Posted 2/16/2013 1:46:24 PM
iKhanic posted...
That was Nintendo's gravest error with the Wii U. Casuals and small kids don't know the difference. When I was a kid, I didn't know the difference between a GBC and GBA and GBASP. Thus, I never got a GBA.

i could see it within 2 seconds of looking at it and i was only 12. different orientation + wider screen + shoulder buttons + better graphics = new system. you'd have to be mentally retarded not to see the difference.
#18Traptin3daysPosted 2/16/2013 1:46:35 PM
PSOLavis posted...
Alustar posted...
Same thing happens with the 3DS too. When I was working at GameStop stupid people would come in look at it and dismiss it as the same thing as a DS only in 3D and that it was stupid.

Further back though too I would be asked if PS3 games worked in their PS2's or Xbox 360 games in the original Xbox. People are just stupid and it takes them years to figure out that they are wrong.

I DO think though that Wii U should have dropped the Wii brand entirely but, it uses Wii accessories so it made sense to stay with the Wii brand. I wish they would have named it something more distinct, and less abstract to spell it out to the stupid masses and simply called the System, Wii 2 or Super Wii... Actually Super Wii would be horrible, I can see the memes already.

What is more stupid, you blind ignorance or some random person not keeping up to date on something as trivial as video games? I know which I would pick.

You don't need to be rude. Learn some manners.
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#19Dark_Link92Posted 2/16/2013 1:48:51 PM(edited)
It was a massive mistake calling it the Wii U- probably even worse than the 3DS.
In a mind-exploding display of ignorance, one of my cousins once asked me: "This might be a dumb question, but why do they make new ones [consoles] all the time, like the PS2 and PS3 and everything instead of just always making games on the same one". I told her it was because the tech inside gets better every few years, and to put it at its most basic form, I said that the graphics are better, to which she agreed.
The whole concept though seemed to go straight over her head, even when I put it in the context of getting a better phone because 90s Nokia's wouldn't play all her casual apps. I wasn't sure if consumers in general are that stupid, or just her.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!
#20Darkside_ShadowPosted 2/16/2013 1:55:03 PM
Alustar posted...
Same thing happens with the 3DS too. When I was working at GameStop stupid people would come in look at it and dismiss it as the same thing as a DS only in 3D and that it was stupid.

Further back though too I would be asked if PS3 games worked in their PS2's or Xbox 360 games in the original Xbox. People are just stupid and it takes them years to figure out that they are wrong.

I DO think though that Wii U should have dropped the Wii brand entirely but, it uses Wii accessories so it made sense to stay with the Wii brand. I wish they would have named it something more distinct, and less abstract to spell it out to the stupid masses and simply called the System, Wii 2 or Super Wii... Actually Super Wii would be horrible, I can see the memes already.

This is the simple truth. Don't ever put faith in general public. They are stupid as can be.

I wish for Nintendo that they would have consulted the people who actually sell their product. And heard their opinion. A different name would have made a huge difference.