Why do Nintendo fans get mad when people say Nintendo games are aim to kids?

#51wurmtokenPosted 2/18/2013 9:05:44 PM
Because it brings back dark memories of the days when I had to keep my gaming habits a secret for fear of endless taunting. I WON"T GO BACK TO THOSE DAYS!!!
#52TheMisterManGuyPosted 2/19/2013 7:12:30 AM
gamebuyer22 posted...
Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong,Pokemon are aimed at kids. They are all simple games with a look that would draw kids. All very casual games that the average gamer could beat. The one series that is more for an older audience would be Metroid Prime. Doesnt have that typical "Nintendo" look or gameplay and its better for it. Plus you can actually die unlike any modern Zelda.

I always wondered what counts as a "kiddy" look. A game that has a cartoony colorful art style? If thats the case, then we can call Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Klonoa, Mega Man, Viewtiful Joe, the Tales series, Sonic the Hedgehog, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone, Pac-Man all kiddy then.

And about your comment on Mario, DK, Zelda etc. being simplistic, they are pick up & play games, but offer a layer of depth & challenge hidden under their cartoony shell (except for Kirby I guess). Play Donkey Kong Country: Returns, it's one of the most challenging platformers out there. Hell, the Mario Galaxy games can get pretty challenging at times too.

As far as games for older gamers go, Nintendo has quite a few. Metroid like you mentioned, as well as Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, F-Zero, Sin & Punishment, Xenoblade, Zelda (yes Zelda, play Majora's Mask to know what I'm talking about), Star Fox to name a few.
#53meiyukiPosted 2/19/2013 7:49:57 AM
To answer the question in the topic it's because people come and post something like that, but any time on the internet you correct someone or disagree everyone says you're angry. They can't debate the topic so they attack the person no matter how false it is and then people like you show up and perpetuate the premise that's based on virtually nothing.
#54TerotrousPosted 2/19/2013 8:16:46 AM
It's because they're aimed at everyone, not JUST to kids.

There is nothing that prevents adults from enjoying games with simplistic storytelling and good gameplay. You might like to have games with rich narratives sometimes, but they're not essential for many types of games.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#55linkumsPosted 2/19/2013 8:20:25 AM
There's nothing wrong with that statement. The statement that gets people fired up is when people say that Nintendo games are only for kids.
---
Latest post: "Why Linearity Isn't a Bad Thing"
http://whattheycallgames.blogspot.com/
#56Chewy247Posted 2/19/2013 8:30:25 AM
Everything that can be made into toys is market toward children. That includes Mario, Zelda, Halo, Mortal Kombat, little big planet, hell even Freddy Kruger is made into kids toys.

Remember back in the 90s the MK Saturday morning cartoon? The ads of the game were marketed toward children. Just like Star Wars. Smart companies market to the "everyone" demographic. It's why I love Nintendo.
---
#TimesUpPunk
#57KCJ5062Posted 2/19/2013 9:28:22 AM
TheMisterManGuy posted...
gamebuyer22 posted...
Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Donkey Kong,Pokemon are aimed at kids. They are all simple games with a look that would draw kids. All very casual games that the average gamer could beat. The one series that is more for an older audience would be Metroid Prime. Doesnt have that typical "Nintendo" look or gameplay and its better for it. Plus you can actually die unlike any modern Zelda.

I always wondered what counts as a "kiddy" look. A game that has a cartoony colorful art style? If thats the case, then we can call Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Klonoa, Mega Man, Viewtiful Joe, the Tales series, Sonic the Hedgehog, Chu Chu Rocket, Power Stone, Pac-Man all kiddy then.

This reminds me of when before Zelda Wind Waker came out, it was lauded as the worst Zelda game because it had a "kiddy" look instead of the more "adult" visuals Ocarina Of Time and Majora's Mask had. While there are some people that still don't like the visuals, people played it and found out that it was just as good if not better than it's predecessors.
#58detchibePosted 2/19/2013 10:10:09 AM
It stems from insecurity. People who don't play Nintendo titles because they deem them "childish" are not at peace with themselves. I love Nintendo games because they're always artistically expressive, fun and charming and I am in love with the ins and outs of the company, aswell as being a fan of a lot of the directors, visionaries and creative-heads at the company. I really do feel attached to them.

Plus, Monolith Soft.