Nintendo seems to be on a track to become a very RPG friendly console.

#21CyricsServantPosted 2/17/2013 4:58:07 AM
plasmatic5 posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
FFXV, Wii U exclusive.

That'd be sooooo funny.

Considering SE's current console philosophy, it'll probably be on all systems including PC and iPhone...let's face it.

And given their current track record, it'll probably be ****. For JRPGs, it's pretty much common knowledge now that Atlus is king.
#22CyricsServantPosted 2/17/2013 5:02:05 AM
-NotoriousLynx posted...
On average, JRPGs are better than western RPGs anyway. Only thing wRPGs got is Fallout, everything else is bland fantasy. I hope Persona 5 and TWEWY 2 come out for the Wii U and 3DS.

You just haven't played enough good ones. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and Planescape: Torment remain to of the best RPGs ever made.

Looking at modern WRPGs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Alpha Protocol were a lot of fun. The fantasy WRPGs are pretty bland and too "Tolkenesque," but Divinity II: DKS managed to come up with some neat ideas (e.g. dragon transformations and mind reading).
#23mjc0961Posted 2/17/2013 8:57:16 AM
-NotoriousLynx posted...
elheber posted...
JRPG. There's a difference.

On average, JRPGs are better than western RPGs anyway. Only thing wRPGs got is Fallout, everything else is bland fantasy. I hope Persona 5 and TWEWY 2 come out for the Wii U and 3DS.

Square Enix is an abomination, and I can't believe people are still so blind, hopeful for the Final Fantasy series. Even the Dragon Quest series sucks now.

On average, both are pretty bland most of the time. WRPG = bland fantasy, JRPG = bland anime.
---
"Jak and Daxter does not have a sequel so that doesn't prove anything." - DesperateMonkey
#24RECON64bitPosted 2/17/2013 9:20:26 AM
mjc0961 posted...
-NotoriousLynx posted...
elheber posted...

Square Enix is an abomination, and I can't believe people are still so blind, hopeful for the Final Fantasy series. Even the Dragon Quest series sucks now.

On average, both are pretty bland most of the time. WRPG = bland fantasy, JRPG = bland anime.

Agree
At least WRPGs you can create your character. In JRPGs all the main heros look like Cloud in some way.
#25Virus66Posted 2/17/2013 9:41:42 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
-NotoriousLynx posted...
elheber posted...

Except that DQIX is the best in the series.

Why would you even want a sequel to TWEWY? I'd be fine with it if they drop that douchie little puke Neku, fired Nomura's ass, and went for a more conventional art style. I don't even care if it's anime-ish or realistic, so long as Nomura loses his job for his lack of artistic skills.

And Persona needs to go back to what made 2 so good, before it gets a fourth sequel.
And the fifth game should entirely ignore that 3 and 4 even exist. Just ignore them. Flappy, highschool anime BS that only weaboos can truly enjoy. 2 had a great plot, great dialogue, and all the characters just weaved together seamlessly.

Sadly, your opinion means absolutely nothing in the veins that Persona 3 and 4 were incredibly popular and sold far better than Persona 1 and 2. Atlus sees what people buy and will make more of the same. What reason would they have to completely ignore their success with their recent games and go back to a style that didn't sell as well?
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#26Dr_FacerPosted 2/17/2013 11:13:42 AM
iKhanic posted...
With all 3 of the rainfall games, FE: Awakening, X, and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, it seems like Nintendo is working really hard to attract RPG fans to their consoles. Maybe this is a move Nintendo is making to bring back all the JRPG series that they lost in the N64 and GC days.

Too little, too late. RPG's are not console sellers anymore nor as big as they were during the late 90's eraly 00's.

The RPG boom is over and they're back to be niche titles except for a few franchises likethe Tales and FF games.
#27Lelouch71Posted 2/17/2013 11:26:19 AM
Virus66 posted...
Sadly, your opinion means absolutely nothing in the veins that Persona 3 and 4 were incredibly popular and sold far better than Persona 1 and 2. Atlus sees what people buy and will make more of the same. What reason would they have to completely ignore their success with their recent games and go back to a style that didn't sell as well?

P5 will be different from P3/P4 just like P3 was different from P1/P2. Thanks goodness that will be the case because the social sims stuff have ran its course. So that's a mute point. Atlus isn't afraid of change. They are also not afraid of going back to an older style with some modern flare. SJ and SMT4 is closer to SMT1, 2, and if... than Nocturne. We already know some Nocturne are whining about SMT4 not being Nocturne 2.

Anyway I do hope the Wii U does become the go to system outside of the 3DS for jrpgs. If it can it do that then the Wii U is automatically better than PS4 for me because jrpgs are my favorite type of games.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#28-NotoriousLynxPosted 2/17/2013 5:18:29 PM
CyricsServant posted...
-NotoriousLynx posted...

You just haven't played enough good ones. Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn and Planescape: Torment remain to of the best RPGs ever made.

Looking at modern WRPGs, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Alpha Protocol were a lot of fun. The fantasy WRPGs are pretty bland and too "Tolkenesque," but Divinity II: DKS managed to come up with some neat ideas (e.g. dragon transformations and mind reading).

Played Human Revolution and thought it was uninteresting and level progression was very linear. I thought the dialogue sequences was the best any game has ever done.

I'm going to get Planescape: Torment from GoG pretty soon though.

Lelouch71 posted...
Virus66 posted...

P5 will be different from P3/P4 just like P3 was different from P1/P2. Thanks goodness that will be the case because the social sims stuff have ran its course. So that's a mute point. Atlus isn't afraid of change. They are also not afraid of going back to an older style with some modern flare. SJ and SMT4 is closer to SMT1, 2, and if... than Nocturne. We already know some Nocturne are whining about SMT4 not being Nocturne 2.

Anyway I do hope the Wii U does become the go to system outside of the 3DS for jrpgs. If it can it do that then the Wii U is automatically better than PS4 for me because jrpgs are my favorite type of games.

Nope. Persona 5 is going to play way more like P3 and P4, but still have a pretty vastly different tone. Its still gonna be a weeaboo waifu simulator I bet. Atlus is not going to let go of this formula.
#29iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 6:13:29 PM
Dr_Facer posted...
iKhanic posted...
With all 3 of the rainfall games, FE: Awakening, X, and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, it seems like Nintendo is working really hard to attract RPG fans to their consoles. Maybe this is a move Nintendo is making to bring back all the JRPG series that they lost in the N64 and GC days.

Too little, too late. RPG's are not console sellers anymore nor as big as they were during the late 90's eraly 00's.

The RPG boom is over and they're back to be niche titles except for a few franchises likethe Tales and FF games.

Nintendo's RPG franchises have always done well though. Particularly Pokemon, Paper Mario, and Mario and Luigi. They have the interest in their install base, and by introducing more traditional RPGs, they will compel 3rd party companies to come to them as well.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#30MelkacPosted 2/17/2013 6:18:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]