So what is Shin Megami Tensei?

#1promo123Posted 2/16/2013 11:49:02 PM
Is the regular series even available in North America? I did a quick search of it and I found that a lot of the games never left Japan, and that there's a lot of side games. What would be important for the Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem game?
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#2ShadowSkill11Posted 2/17/2013 12:05:22 AM
Next time google shin Megami Tensei ps3 and shin Megami Tensai DS/3ds
#3SocranPosted 2/17/2013 12:29:13 AM(edited)
It's a series of Japanese RPGs that tend to have dark themes and use religious or pseudo-religious mythology. Usually not a depiction of realistic religions, but more like "omfg the main villain turned out to be God, Satan, or Cthulhu". (Okay, I don't think Cthulhu has ever appeared, but Nyarlothotep has.) Most (all?) games tend to have some sort of Pokemon-esque mechanic, as well, with characters being able to command demons of some kind or another. Currently it seems the most popular sub-series in the west is Persona, which also happens to be the only one that I've personally played (Persona 3, to be exact).

So, basically, it's one of the last things you'd expect to be crossing over with Fire Emblem's traditional medieval fantasy.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#4IlluminoiusPosted 2/17/2013 12:27:53 AM
they aren't "pokemon-esque" mechanics when they're completely different than tossing a ball into an injured monster to catch it
#5SocranPosted 2/17/2013 12:30:58 AM
Illuminoius posted...
they aren't "pokemon-esque" mechanics when they're completely different than tossing a ball into an injured monster to catch it

That's why I said "esque" and not "copied". Any game with a "collect-a-monster" mechanic is automatically compared to Pokemon, even if those monsters are actually just manifestations of your psyche that are formed by putting a not-gun to your head and committing not-suicide.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#6leeko_linkPosted 2/17/2013 12:33:28 AM(edited)
A Japanese dungeon crawling/demon hunting JRPG similar to Phantasy Star, Evolution, and Shining in the Darkness. Like Fire Emblem, the series first debut on the Famicom (NES) and NA audience didn't get to play games in the series until Persona on the PlayStation or Revelation on the Game Boy Color.

NA Games that were part of the Shin Megami Tensei series includes:

Demi Kids Light & Dark (Devil Children in Japan)
Revelation: The Demon Slayers (part of the Last Bible series in Japan)
Persona Series
Devil Survivor Series
Devil Summoner Series
Strange Journey
Digital Devil Saga Series
Nocturne
#7SlimeSwayzePosted 2/17/2013 1:27:01 AM
The only games I have played in the series were persona 3/4 and Nocturne. They were some of my favorite games last gen.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#8ShadowSkill11Posted 2/17/2013 1:29:18 AM
ShadowSkill11 posted...
Next time google shin Megami Tensei ps3 and shin Megami Tensai DS/3ds

I meant ps2 not ps3.
#9TheTrueNubPosted 2/17/2013 1:33:29 AM
Socran posted...
Illuminoius posted...

That's why I said "esque" and not "copied". Any game with a "collect-a-monster" mechanic is automatically compared to Pokemon, even if those monsters are actually just manifestations of your psyche that are formed by putting a not-gun to your head and committing not-suicide.

You can't copy yourself, zing!

MegaTen pretty much invented the monster catching mechanic in games back in '87
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#10sylverlololPosted 2/17/2013 1:57:39 AM
This next game better not have any of that sim **** from the Persona games. Completely ruined every attempt I made to try to get into them.
---
"You need to get your point out in one or two paragraphs. This is a message board, not a therapy session." - TreGooda