will the future of Wii U become clearer on 20th?

#1sanas_thirituPosted 2/17/2013 12:45:49 AM
So on 20th If the PS4 graphics stun and wow everyone, Wii U dies
if the PS4 graphics dont impress, Wii U survives and possibly thrives.

Isn't the above proof that graphics are way too important for any console to take lightly?
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#2G1ingyPosted 2/17/2013 12:50:02 AM

PS3 has better graphics than Wii

Did Nintendo go bankrupt? Did the Wii die? Or...did PS3 play follow the leader and create their own sexually suggestive version of the Wiimote?
#3UmitenchoPosted 2/17/2013 1:03:31 AM
Right now I am just wondering about prices for Ps4. E3 has bearing on me getting a WiiU not if Sony is gonna put the final nail on the coffin by making another hardware Juggernaut.
#4STN79Posted 2/17/2013 1:09:41 AM
The PS3 was annouced during E3 2005. Why would PS4 be revealed before E3 this year?
Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal it at E3? Seems like bad timing to me. As far as the future of Wii U it'll be fine. it will be at least late this year before anyone can buy PS4. Plus it's guaranteed to cost more than Wii U and be harder to develop games for. You think the Wii U doesn't have enough games just wait and see how long PS4 takes to get good stuff.
#5SocranPosted 2/17/2013 1:18:06 AM(edited)
sanas_thiritu posted...

Isn't the above proof that graphics are way too important for any console to take lightly?

Um... No, because the emphasis on graphics in your statement was utterly superfluous. Just replace that with "everything", and your statement is a little closer to the truth. As I've said before, this announcement is almost incapable of causing less people to buy the Wii U, because the only people who are interested are the people who are waiting to decide whether they want to get it or not. If PS4 turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, those people will continue to have not bought the Wii U, changing nothing. If it turns out to be disappointing, many of those people will choose to buy a Wii U. And if it's somewhere in between, a smaller portion of those people will buy a Wii U now that their curiosity has been satisfied.

The same thing will happen when the Nextbox is announced, with people who held out on buying either the Wii U or PS4.

STN79 posted...
The PS3 was annouced during E3 2005. Why would PS4 be revealed before E3 this year?
Wouldn't it make more sense to reveal it at E3? Seems like bad timing to me. As far as the future of Wii U it'll be fine. it will be at least late this year before anyone can buy PS4. Plus it's guaranteed to cost more than Wii U and be harder to develop games for. You think the Wii U doesn't have enough games just wait and see how long PS4 takes to get good stuff.

If Sony is trying to get the system out before the end of the year, it makes sense to announce it now rather than 3-4 months before release.

Regarding the cost of games, it's true that development cycles will be longer and budgets will be higher, but the difference in install bases will still make the Sonysoft systems more profitable. It's a catch-22. Requiring 1/3 the budget won't make up for having 1/5 of the combined userbase of those two systems, forcing developers to expend more resources and take less risks just to reach the largest audience and hope they don't end up bankrupt.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#6darkus_fPosted 2/17/2013 1:13:16 AM
G1ingy posted...

PS3 has better graphics than Wii

Did Nintendo go bankrupt? Did the Wii die? Or...did PS3 play follow the leader and create their own sexually suggestive version of the Wiimote?

The Wii didn't die because of its gimmick. If it didn't have it, it would not have sold so well, that's a well known fact even to Nintendo fans.
The WiiU doesn't have that gimmick so it needs games. Loads of games. That's what it boils down to. Games.

If the PS4 bombs, it is good news for Nintendo, any way you slice it. The third party developers would then prefer the WiiU over the PS4. Awesome 3rd party games + awesome 1st party games > only awesome 1st party games.

If the PS4 ends up being the next big thing, then Nintendo will have to put more effort into the WiiU so developers stop skipping it. It's kind of a win win situation I think.
---
3DS FC: 0447-5073-6549 PSN: darkus_f
PWB Fav5: Punk, Cesaro, Ziggler, Reigns, Orton
#7Banjo2553Posted 2/17/2013 1:54:58 AM
STN79 posted...

It makes sense, but with the way Sony themselves have been hyping their "Feb. 20th announcement," it's very likely they want to reveal their new console. Of course, if it happens to be something else, I'll just laugh.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#8arvilinoPosted 2/17/2013 2:26:06 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...

An unsupported claim isn't proof.
#9diggyfreshPosted 2/17/2013 2:44:31 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...

Your argument presupposes its conclusion. Essentially, you said graphics are important because they are important.

Maybe try to rephrase it.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#10iKhanicPosted 2/17/2013 2:45:34 AM
Um no, The Wii U doesn't just die because the PS4 has good graphics. The Wii was hopelessly outclassed in terms of power. In fact, even more outclassed than the Wii U could possibly be. And it ended up winning the gen.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US