What would happen if the PS4/720 didn't have incredible graphics?

#1XXShadowLinkXXPosted 2/17/2013 2:36:39 AM
I can't believe I've only just realised this but imagine if they didn't - they'd be nothing now. It's as simple as that. Now I'm sure we will see a powerful new console come Wednesday but I wonder what everyone's reaction would be if it had the same power as Wii U roughly - or only marginally better. What would happen to the fans?
---
- The Arkive Project - <<<< Remember this as soon as you see it. Spread the word.
#2MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 2/17/2013 2:44:35 AM
Those consoles would still have a better online service. Better controllers. Better 3rd party support. Better games for people above the age of 12 and much more.

They don't really need better hardware to beat the Wii U. Judging by the horrible sales for the Wii U I'm not the only one that thinks the system is not worth owning.
---
Proud owner of the Wii U!
#3LightHawKnightPosted 2/17/2013 2:46:42 AM
They would sell better? I mean they wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to buy and still be totally outclassed by a gaming pc.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#4sanas_thirituPosted 2/17/2013 2:47:12 AM
atleast they dont rehash Mario, zelda and metriod like a million times. Third parties will ensure there are new IPs that adults can enjoy
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#5berenddebeerPosted 2/17/2013 2:47:27 AM
MR_Smarty_Pants posted...
Those consoles would still have a better online service. Better controllers. Better 3rd party support. Better games for people above the age of 12 and much more.

They don't really need better hardware to beat the Wii U. Judging by the horrible sales for the Wii U I'm not the only one that thinks the system is not worth owning.

Xbox will have better online PS no. Will cost you though. Better controllers? No. Better 3rd party? Yes but far worst 1st party. Better games for above 12? Lol :) kirby is more challenging than mass effect
#6DynheartPosted 2/17/2013 3:39:10 AM
MR_Smarty_Pants posted...

Ignorant post is ignorant.

Other than the 3rd party portion of your post, it's opinion based.

What's funny is you act like Nintendo games, those "12 year old" games? You're too old for. But here you are, making posts like this, just like a 12 year old would. You just have to get that subtle jab in there, don't you? That's so mature of you.

/thumbs up
---
Currently playing: Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper, NSMBU
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#7DarthBadgerPosted 2/17/2013 3:41:18 AM
Maybe we're finally about to see the race over actual gameplay quality most of us have been yearning for.

When all systems get to a point that graphics are as real as they need to be for gaming and a stable cost-effective equilibrium has been determined, most gimmicks die off, and all systems have decent, reliable online-multiplayer functionality, game producers may actually have to compete against each other to provide the consumer with the most important aspect of games that has somehow been rejected for several years - the fun factor.

I'm not saying that we are there yet, but I think Nintendo is about to realize the stark reality that gimmicky **** can only carry them so far and the shameless "modernizing" (made into luck-based family games) of ancient game series can only been milked so hard until their **** get baggy and dry.

Likewise, I predict Microsoft and Sony are about to hit the opposite brick wall, having just realized "graphics and power" can only impress for so long, as shown by the 360's watching-yourself-exercise-in-a-mirror-is-fun and the PS3's glowing peni...motion controller.

I would personally love to see each company scramble to figure out what they are doing wrong. The more they fight and compete for the same market, instead of their own niche markets, the better the final comparable product will have to be - the game itself.
---
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble
Should have. Should *******have.
#8fakewarsPosted 2/17/2013 3:52:46 AM
Dumb topic. There is no way Sony & MS would release console that has same power with Wii U which is barely stronger than PS3
---
"The heads of peasants are much better as footballs."
~Ningishzida
#9DynheartPosted 2/17/2013 3:58:04 AM(edited)
DarthBadger posted...
Maybe we're finally about to see the race over actual gameplay quality most of us have been yearning for.

When all systems get to a point that graphics are as real as they need to be for gaming and a stable cost-effective equilibrium has been determined, most gimmicks die off, and all systems have decent, reliable online-multiplayer functionality, game producers may actually have to compete against each other to provide the consumer with the most important aspect of games that has somehow been rejected for several years - the fun factor.

I'm not saying that we are there yet, but I think Nintendo is about to realize the stark reality that gimmicky **** can only carry them so far and the shameless "modernizing" (made into luck-based family games) of ancient game series can only been milked so hard until their **** get baggy and dry.

Likewise, I predict Microsoft and Sony are about to hit the opposite brick wall, having just realized "graphics and power" can only impress for so long, as shown by the 360's watching-yourself-exercise-in-a-mirror-is-fun and the PS3's glowing peni...motion controller.

I would personally love to see each company scramble to figure out what they are doing wrong. The more they fight and compete for the same market, instead of their own niche markets, the better the final comparable product will have to be - the game itself.

Neither are.

It's fun to see companies do different stuff. The problem is the gamer's who are set in their ways. Attacking companies for trying something new.

People think they would rather sit with their controller/couch and play till the cows come home. That's not the case:

-Nintendo brought Gameboy. Look at the handheld market
-Nintendo brought us BC with the super Gameboy. They just never utilized it again until later (probably didn't think there was a market for it)
-Sony brought us media to consoles (DVD playback)
-Sega brought us the first online console to the market
-Microsoft brought us Live. This changed online console gaming forever.
-Microsoft brought achievements.
-Nintendo reinvented motion controls for the console market, which will change gaming, at least, for awhile.
-The Gamepad. It's been 3ish months...no one is giving this thing a chance. I say we let things play out before we say this is a fail.
-Oculus Rift...another gimmick that's going to change the way we play games forever.

They enjoy most of these! But complain about gimmicks...

Sure, some gimmicks along the way were big fails. But you need pioneers to move the industry forward. Otherwise? We would all be sitting down, with just a controller, and none of the stuff above that helped the industry move forward, positively, regardless if you dislike some of them or not.

To me? Sitting down with a boring old traditional controller for 30+ years? I probably would have stopped gaming a long time ago. I'm glad Nintendo, and the dudes and Microsoft/Sony (who decide to innovate along with them) keep it fresh. Besides, the traditional fair is still there.
---
Currently playing: Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper, NSMBU
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#10DarthBadgerPosted 2/17/2013 4:11:52 AM
Dynheart posted...

Neither are.

It's fun to see companies do different stuff. The problem is the gamer's who are set in their ways. Attacking companies for trying something new.

People think they would rather sit with their controller/couch and play till the cows come home. That's not the case:

-Nintendo brought Gameboy. Look at the handheld market
-Nintendo brought us BC with the super Gameboy. They just never utilized it again until later (probably didn't think there was a market for it)
-Sony brought us media to consoles (DVD playback)
-Sega brought us the first online console to the market
-Microsoft brought us Live. This changed online console gaming forever.
-Microsoft brought achievements.
-Nintendo reinvented motion controls for the console market, which will change gaming, at least, for awhile.
-The Gamepad. It's been 3ish months...no one is giving this thing a chance. I say we let things play out before we say this is a fail.
-Oculus Rift...another gimmick that's going to change the way we play games forever.

They enjoy most of these! But complain about gimmicks...

Sure, some gimmicks along the way were big fails. But you need pioneers to move the industry forward. Otherwise? We would all be sitting down, with just a controller, and none of the stuff above that helped the industry move forward, positively, regardless if you dislike some of them or not.

To me? Sitting down with a boring old traditional controller for 30+ years? I probably would have stopped gaming a long time ago. I'm glad Nintendo, and the dudes and Microsoft/Sony (who decide to innovate along with them) keep it fresh. Besides, the traditional fair is still there.

Yeah, I see what you mean. There is a difference between a gimmick and something that's actually innovative, though. I'm just afraid Nintendo is almost set in their ways of cute little toys that boast technological capability, yet seem to absolutely fall short when utilizing their tech.

I remember the Wii motion control sounding amazing at first and saw it implemented in impressive ways with Wii Sports. After that, nearly every game that I actually wanted to play just tacked on the motion control for what should be simple button controls.

I'm concerned this amazing new game tablet will turn out to be nothing but a second screen for nothing more than mini-maps, menus, and absurd 1v3 mario party mini-games.

It's made worse that 3rd party developers often won't plan for anything to be motion controlled or displayed on multiple screens yet it's part of their contract to do so.
---
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble
Should have. Should *******have.