In retrospect, was pandering casuals and abandoning core gamers a wrong move

#1-Damien-Posted 2/17/2013 6:00:37 PM
nintendo made with the wii?

look at the predicament they are in now. the casuals don't come back, while core gamers ignore them (outside the small nintendo fanbase)
#2DifferentialEquationPosted 2/17/2013 6:03:08 PM
I think there's chance console gaming is on its way out so it might have been a good idea.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#3NyyarkPosted 2/17/2013 6:17:19 PM
Not really. Core needs the 3rd party support, and with the Core focused Game Cube the causal pandering PS2 still got all the 3rd party support. Nintendo is between a rock and hard place.
#4MelkacPosted 2/17/2013 7:22:07 PM
No, pandering core gamers and abandoning casuals was a wrong move.

And that's exactly what they're doing with the Wii U...
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#5SoaringDivePosted 2/17/2013 7:23:19 PM
Considering that's all Sony and Microsoft are trying to do, it has to be a good move if none of them think it's a bad one.
---
PM (on GFaqs) me if you add me (I won't bite)
3DS: 2148-8150-1379 | Steam:SoaringDive | PSN:SoarDive
#6TheBonfiniPosted 2/17/2013 7:25:19 PM
DifferentialEquation posted...
I think there's chance console gaming is on its way out so it might have been a good idea.

lol
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#7spacejamjordanzPosted 2/17/2013 7:26:58 PM
For a short term cash in? = yes
For longevity? = no
---
"Attack me if you dare. I will crush you." Ken Masters <Street Fighter II>
#8DifferentialEquationPosted 2/17/2013 8:15:43 PM
TheBonfini posted...

lol

It's not that far fetched. It could be that we're at the last generation of consoles.

Look at games on devices like smartphones and iPads; they look amazing right now. Imagine where they'll be in a few years. If they start getting just a few of the bigger AAA titles that could be huge blow to the console industry. Most people would probably be happy to spend $50 on a controller and cable and be able to get close to to the same gaming gaming experience that a console offers.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#9darkjedilinkPosted 2/17/2013 8:18:16 PM
Considering how much money Nintendo has made by ignoring "hardcorez," especially in comparison to how much money Sony LOST by pandering to the "hardcorez," I'd say that it was the right move.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#10rajin_donutsPosted 2/17/2013 8:21:19 PM
TheBonfini posted...

lol

It's not that far fetched. It could be that we're at the last generation of consoles.

Look at games on devices like smartphones and iPads; they look amazing right now. Imagine where they'll be in a few years. If they start getting just a few of the bigger AAA titles that could be huge blow to the console industry. Most people would probably be happy to spend $50 on a controller and cable and be able to get close to to the same gaming gaming experience that a console offers.

I like the way you think.