Nintendo IPs

#1Soggy13Posted 2/17/2013 9:57:38 PM
Since Nintendo has so many IPs and this seeming problem with people acting like its only for children, why don't they do some slight rebranding to make different series for different age groups. For example Mario rated E, Zelda rated T and Metroid rated M. I know there's tons more IPs but those three seem like good examples for what I'm trying to say. Before everyone bashes me just know I love nintendo and I've been playing their amazing games for 20 years and don't mean any disrespect.
---
PSN/LIVE: Massacredone
Me thinks words is hard...
#2DTY3Posted 2/17/2013 10:00:13 PM
Zelda is already rated T.

And what would Metroid gain by having an M rating?
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#3meiyukiPosted 2/17/2013 10:05:59 PM
I don't think they need to because you can get away with just about anything you need to with a T rating and the jump to M just so rarely if ever adds anything. Quite a few of their games are already rated T anyway.
#4ADHDguitarPosted 2/17/2013 10:06:35 PM
DTY3 posted...

It could potentially have some fantastic horror elements and really dark storylines exploring Samus's inner conflicts about killing and stuff.

But yeah, it doesn't HAVE to be rated M.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#5Soggy13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 10:09:34 PM
DTY3 posted...

Hopefully a better story. I feel like the only reason it's not rated M, at least the Prime series, is your so disconnected from what your fighting. Space Pirates are intelligent being but they're portrayed as brainless monsters for some reason in gameplay.
---
Posted using GameFlux
PSN/Live MassacredOne
#6DTY3Posted 2/17/2013 10:17:07 PM
The game doesnt need to be rated M to have a good story.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#7Soggy13(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 10:29:36 PM
DTY3 posted...

Not what I said or was even implying. Zelda is my favorite game series ever and an M rated Zelda would be terrible. Like ADHDguitar said some horror aspects would be amazing. I only was trying to say Metroid is one of the few IPs that could pull off an M and still be amazing. I feel like Metroid kicks Halo's ***. I wish it had the fanbase though so I could get more of what I love.
---
Posted using GameFlux
PSN/Live MassacredOne
#8KidHeartBreakPosted 2/17/2013 11:26:45 PM
Soggy13 posted...
DTY3 posted...

Not what I said or was even implying. Zelda is my favorite game series ever and an M rated Zelda would be terrible. Like ADHDguitar said some horror aspects would be amazing. I only was trying to say Metroid is one of the few IPs that could pull off an M and still be amazing. I feel like Metroid kicks Halo's ***. I wish it had the fanbase though so I could get more of what I love.

I agree, certain M rated titles for Nintendo could work even if they were spinoffs to cater to that older audience. The violence could be brutal where it wanted to be, and mild profanity wouldn't be a bad idea either. It's not like he's asking for something extreme like nudity... Not so much of what Rare did with Conker though. Something different.
---
GT: Major So Lucky
NNID: HeartBreak
#9meiyukiPosted 2/18/2013 9:11:19 AM
KidHeartBreak posted...
Soggy13 posted...
DTY3 posted...

I agree, certain M rated titles for Nintendo could work even if they were spinoffs to cater to that older audience. The violence could be brutal where it wanted to be, and mild profanity wouldn't be a bad idea either. It's not like he's asking for something extreme like nudity... Not so much of what Rare did with Conker though. Something different.

The thing is all you really get with M over T by and large is graphic violence, swearing, and some nudity. None of those things add anything to the game or the story. Link already runs things through with his sword, would anything really be gained if he was a bloody mess afterwards? T already lets you have characters talk about the nightmares they have as they heard the screams of their comrades being slaughtered, and it allows for killing and suicide. I feel the only gain would be to cater to some sort of blood lust in the players.

Given what T allows I just don't see any gain for M. I mean I wouldn't oppose it if done right, I just don't see a gain, and many games I'd actually enjoy more if they wern't rated M.