Crytek: It's "impossible" for next-gen consoles to match powerful PCs

#71meiyukiPosted 2/18/2013 1:38:21 PM
Do people not know you can plug a controller into a pc? They sell them for like $10 at retail outlets. If you have a ps3 it's controller can work on a pc just fine too with the usb cord. I just don't get why people keep citing controllers as though they're unique to consoles.
#72blt123SengPosted 2/18/2013 1:47:12 PM
CrazyFool319 posted...
Consoles are built solely for gaming

Where have you been for the entirety of this console generation?

Console creators have been trying their hardest to make the consoles do all of the things a PC can do the entire generation. And, not surprisingly, they suck at it. The only thing they do well is play Netflix.
#73Devil_wings00Posted 2/18/2013 2:00:34 PM
Ummm any half witted person who knows anything about modern PC's could come to the same conclusion lol Just go look at the prices of any half decent GPU/CPU/Motherboard/everything and you can see that sony/microsoft will NEVER be able to pack that into an affordable package under 500 dollars unless they are willing to take a colossal loss on every machine sold for years to come.

I'm glad to see developers not straight up lying to the uninformed who aren't up on modern tech and still think current gen is "amazing", It's refreshing.

Will next gen be way better then what we have? Of course but it will tilting on the low end of current modern tech now. It's their own fault for letting the consoles drag on for 2-3 years longer then they should and letting the tech gap become a gaping chasm that evil kenevil couldn't jump without a rocket bike. I'm still looking forward to the next gen since I want to see what dev's can do with a better tech base and better engines. Then I want to see what PC can do with those engines because it's already pretty crazy what they can do with engines designed for near decade old hardware. I'm excited for the future I just wish it could have got here a little sooner and I hope the greed of the big publishers doesn't maim gaming (anti-used game stance, predatory DLC etc.).
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#74cavebear56Posted 2/18/2013 2:04:53 PM
Consoles currently can't match powerful PC's.

It's obvious, realistically, factually and objectively. That is without shooting the price way up.

Then you're left with something you hope doesn't lose support as it is even more difficult for the uneducated to adapt it to more uses than a PC is to replace parts (as it already does the internet and has options comparable to what consoles try to imitate).

Somewhere the console graphics crowd believe you have to pay for a high end card every year, it is not the case. Stop creating false scenarios to be right in a "well if we remove all these actual factors and create a make believe world..." because you're wrong.

It's expected though. The cries of the ignorant in this thread make it obvious who doesn't game on multiple systems. Some advice for those lost souls...

Get a job, learn to budget and then proceed to backpeddle on gaming boards once you leave mom and dad's house and are able to buy your own things.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#75AtralisPosted 2/18/2013 2:06:41 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Whoever wrote that from Crytek earns himself a degree in stating the obvious.
But the $2000-$3000 price point isn't even necessary for his statement to be true; that price point is basically talking about more than two GTX 680's or two GTX 690's (or AMD 7970 GHz's/ 7990's). One GTX 680 or 7970 GHz will outperform whatever next generation consoles can do, because those GPU's basically cost the same as or slightly more than what those consoles sell for.

$1000-$1500 still makes his statement true.

If you read the article he brings that up but he is using the hyper high end PC as the example of how big the gap can get. He uses the example of the big ass PC that draws as much power as a refrigerator that is overclocked with water cooling and like four graphics cards running in unison as the extreme example.
---
~ IN THE FUTURE there will be no black people and white people. Just robots.
#76Devil_wings00Posted 2/18/2013 2:06:56 PM
meiyuki posted...
Do people not know you can plug a controller into a pc? They sell them for like $10 at retail outlets. If you have a ps3 it's controller can work on a pc just fine too with the usb cord. I just don't get why people keep citing controllers as though they're unique to consoles.

lol ya or go on ebay and buy an xbox 360 receiver for 15 bucks. Most modern games that aren't RTS/FPS have built in 360 controller support on the PC out of the box. I generally play almost all 3rd person action games on a controller and I don't need to do any voodoo magic to accomplish it. I turn on the 360 pad, launch the game and 9 times out 10 it automatically detects it and lets me use the controller ;p at worst I have to go select controller from a menu option...phew hard work.
---
3570k @ 1.260v - 4.6Ghz, GTX 580 @ 980/2106, ASUS Sabertooth z77, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHZ, Intel 335 SSD (boot).
#77KaleliskalelPosted 2/18/2013 2:25:44 PM
SkyD1ddY posted...
What idiot thinks consoles are more powerful then PC? Only the most desperate of fanboys would argue that.

people who have access to the internet and are not blind
---
When ps3 launched it was banned from export because the processor was so powerful. Tell me again about how powerful you gaming pc is.
#78KatonPosted 2/18/2013 2:31:15 PM
Consoles have always been behind gaming PCs. I don't see how this is news.
---
"You can almost taste how much the Bubsy 3D makers hated the children of America," from Seanbaby's review of Bubsy 3D (EGM #150)
#79meiyukiPosted 2/18/2013 2:32:55 PM
Katon posted...
Consoles have always been behind gaming PCs. I don't see how this is news.

You'd be amazed at how many people it's news to.
#80Corey105Posted 2/18/2013 2:36:12 PM
It's impossible to match PC's because PC has constant updates that will further enhance the power of the computer. Yes, the price is more, but you pay for your graphics. People who defend it saying "Keyboard gaming is dumb" clearly has never google "PC controller". PC has pretty much everything other gaming consoles have, excluding a few things like exclusives and things like that. I think they're all pretty even, but since this is GameFAQs, there's going to be a hoard of 12 year olds arguing ones better than another.