Casuals are too uneducated to know the Wii is different than Wii U

#41deathsaber79Posted 2/18/2013 1:41:29 PM
The original Wii was a phoenominon.

It was covered extensively in the gaming press as the revolutionary next step in gaming.

Outside of the gaming world, everybody covered it- the today show, Oprah, etc. Every retirement home went out and got Wii's so old people could bowl and swing at tennis balls.

I truthfully wonder how many Wii's were sold that were all for WiiSports, and never had any supporting game purchases, other than maybe WiiPlay (for the second controller), Wii Sports Resort, and (maybe) Wii Fit.

The Wii U is just another game console, currently with a paltry launch lineup, one decent but unremarkable first party exclusive, and being sold in a market where sales figures for gaming in general are dropping, so yeah, things look baaaaaad.

Once Nintendo's A list games start showing up, so will the sales. Wii U will turn a profit but I'd expect this to perform somewhere between N64 and Gamecube in terms of sales for Nintnendo-this will not be the Wii all over again.
#42SlimeSwayzePosted 2/18/2013 1:41:34 PM
Eoin posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...
Anecdotal evidence means absolutely nothing. You can use anecdotal evidence to prove anything. There is no real evidence being presented to indicate that the Wii U's sales are a result of anything other than consumers simply not wanting it.

Anecdotal evidence is all that people will be able to give you, so you'll just have to continue to blindly dismiss it and hope that nobody notices that you changed from saying there wasn't "a single piece of evidence" to saying "there is no real evidence".

Of course, there was nothing but anecdotal evidence for similar confusion between the DS and 3DS and Nintendo treated it seriously enough to rebrand 3DS boxes and run ads in Europe flatly telling consumers "This is not DS, this is 3DS", while of course people on the 3DS board argued endlessly that no such confusion could possibly be happening.

No matter how I said it--the meaning was the same. No one is presenting any actual evidence. I'll say it again--there is no single piece of evidence being presented, as again, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean a thing in this argument.

And there clearly was something more than anecdotal evidence when Nintendo changed their advertising focus on the 3DS. They did what's called market research. If someone here can provide similar research regarding the Wii U, then we've got something.

I'm not even saying it's wrong, as I think Nintendo has done a horrific job of marketing the Wii U. But that doesn't change the fact that no one here can back up what they're saying with anything other than "my friend's mom said" or "my grandma thinks" types of responses.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#43EoinPosted 2/18/2013 1:55:18 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
And there clearly was something more than anecdotal evidence when Nintendo changed their advertising focus on the 3DS.

There wasn't, until suddenly there was lots of it. Again, this is something that many on the 3DS board dismissed, because there was nothing but "anecdotal evidence".

SlimeSwayze posted...
They did what's called market research. If someone here can provide similar research regarding the Wii U, then we've got something.

Sure, I guess the people making the argument can just rustle up a spare focus group and kick back for a research session or two.

SlimeSwayze posted...
I'm not even saying it's wrong, as I think Nintendo has done a horrific job of marketing the Wii U. But that doesn't change the fact that no one here can back up what they're saying with anything other than "my friend's mom said" or "my grandma thinks" types of responses.

Here's the reality: enough people have posted about this, anecdotally, in various places across the web, that there's definitely some level of confusion. Definitely. The only question is how much, and there is no way to answer that, but the way to start answering that isn't to pretend that none of the anecdotal evidence is worth anything. None of it is worth much, but it adds up.
#44NeojianXPosted 2/18/2013 1:55:22 PM
Enigma149 posted...
NeojianX posted...
No it's your lame business practices, poor software localization also. It's the same reason the Vita is not selling also. You are going to get your butts handed to you Next Gen like never before.

So many other options for gaming other than Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. Oh and your companyboy companyboard called Gamefaqs is hurting the Industry also. Mostly Canadians here actually. Gamestop terrible business practices too! The chosen store for the Game Industry. Ha ha ha ha! Crash 2 and not the Bandicoot. XD

Dude...English...

All you have to try and diss that is "Dude....English"? Ha ha ha ha ha! You are pathetic. Ha ha ha ha! : )
---
James Bond 007 in Never Say Never Heineken AND You Only Live Miller High Life .... Twice. : )
#45DanteSInferno84Posted 2/18/2013 2:00:29 PM
Well, at the moment, Nintendo is in a bit of a hard spot. Further advertising is NOT a sure fire pick up to sales, and until they get something new on the market worth advertising, its likely the Wii U isn't going to get alot of light.

I mean, two of its strongest titles that did come out, can be bundled with the system (Mario Bros and Nintendo Land). I mean, once Monster Hunter comes out, some extra advertising might be worth it.

Though, an internet viral campaign shouldn't be THAT exspensive, they might need to try that.

I own a Wii U and I'm happy with it. But, I expect that they REALLY need to steal the show at E3 this year or its going to look REAL bad (hopefully thats what their putting funds towards now instead of advertising).

On E3, is it safe to say G4 won't be covering it, as it won't be G4 anymore, thus we're stuck with Spike and the net to view it only?
#46_Sovereign_Posted 2/18/2013 2:08:44 PM
Of course people who have no interest in something don't know there is a difference.

How you consider this an insult to Wii U and not towards people like yourself is beyond me.
---
We impose order on the chaos of organic evolution. You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.
#47SlimeSwayzePosted 2/18/2013 2:10:17 PM
Eoin posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...
And there clearly was something more than anecdotal evidence when Nintendo changed their advertising focus on the 3DS.

There wasn't, until suddenly there was lots of it. Again, this is something that many on the 3DS board dismissed, because there was nothing but "anecdotal evidence".

SlimeSwayze posted...
They did what's called market research. If someone here can provide similar research regarding the Wii U, then we've got something.

Sure, I guess the people making the argument can just rustle up a spare focus group and kick back for a research session or two.

SlimeSwayze posted...

Here's the reality: enough people have posted about this, anecdotally, in various places across the web, that there's definitely some level of confusion. Definitely. The only question is how much, and there is no way to answer that, but the way to start answering that isn't to pretend that none of the anecdotal evidence is worth anything. None of it is worth much, but it adds up.

I'm just saying that the burden of proof is on those making the accusation. The TC could at least present some evidence, even if it is just a link to a non-gaming site or message board where casual consumers are expressing their confusion. It's not really worth debating, but I think it just rubs me the wrong way because a lot of people (not you, but many people on these boards) are placing the blame on the consumer for not being educated enough. The fact is, this is entirely Nintendo's fault, not the consumer's.

Anyway, I think it would be more accurate to say that Nintendo hasn't done enough to communicate that the Wii is different than the Wii U.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#48jairusmonillasPosted 2/18/2013 2:31:07 PM
Wii U doesn't sound like Wii 2, Wii U is like an accessory lol.

But Wii U is struggling not only because of that, it's struggling because it tried too hard to copy the recent smartphone/tablet success by making the controller tablet like, why would nintendo do that? instead of focusing on things most tablets can't do they tried to copy tablet itself on the controller. it's not a huge innovation at all.

They should've just stick with works best for them, motion controller extra ultra super plus and named it Wii 2 and rivals ps4 and xbox 3 next gen graphics, but instead they put up a letter U on its name and made a crappy gimmick tablet controller and a last gen cpu gpu. that's horrible.
#49Great_Pudding_3Posted 2/18/2013 2:43:37 PM
Casuals don't want to pay $360+ to play Mario in HD and ???.

Especially when there's plenty of good stuff on the ps3 and 360.

Expensive during a non-holiday time, no killer app. That's why people aren't buying.
---
PSN: Chocobo_Dragoon
GT: Chocobo Dragoon
#50GooBacksBack(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 5:19:38 PM
Great_Pudding_3 posted...
Casuals don't want to pay $360+ to play Mario in HD and ???.

Especially when there's plenty of good stuff on the ps3 and 360.

Expensive during a non-holiday time, no killer app. That's why people aren't buying.

Great post