So what's going on with Gamecube games and the Wii U?

#1Sharky8Posted 2/18/2013 10:04:17 AM
Are they or aren't they going to be available on the VC?

Because, clearly, they aren't playable in disc form on the console.

They need to playable in some way.
#2ArchangelJamesPosted 2/18/2013 10:05:50 AM
I recall Nintendo discussing GCN on the Virtual Console (and it's pretty much guaranteed, based on tradition), but there hasn't been anything concretely announced.
---
Please become a fan of my cat.
www.facebook.com/MalikTheCat
#3metroid02Posted 2/18/2013 11:18:47 AM
I think Nintendo should really start getting more serious with their VC and eshop in general. I mean, yes, what they have is nice, but by no means groundbreaking stuff. And honestly...no one cares about Balloon Fight, no one cares about playing the original Mario game because lets face it: all these games have been available for too long already through the Wiis VC and the 3DSs. Note im not trolling Nintendo, I own a Wii U myself and love that console.

I think Nintendo should start making sure ALL (or at least most) Gamecube AND Wii games become available on their VC. Im by no means an expert on coding or anything like that, but how hard can it be to just upload the game files onto the eshop and make them available to everyone? Maybe the GC a little more than the Wii but the Wii U can already play Wii games natively so how much more difficult would it be bringing Wii games to the eshop?
---
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8
#4SlimeSwayzePosted 2/18/2013 11:26:52 AM
One big issue with bringing GCN games directly to the Wii U is that none of the current controllers for the Wii U have analog triggers, which many GCN games utilized. In some cases this drastically hampers the gameplay (think Super Mario Sunshine). Simply releasing the game as is won't work. They will actually have to reprogram some of the gameplay.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#5jakestar0306Posted 2/18/2013 11:46:11 AM
I still don't see why Nintendo doesn't just release a Pro Controller designed like a GC controller; that would solve all of the controller problems.

As for GC VC, Nintendo has announced it, but the announcement was more of "it'll be here eventually". Devolution (an application that allows playing Gamecube games off a USB drive through Wii IOS), on the other hand, is almost compatible with Wii U; the only problem is the anti-piracy measure that can't be avoided on a Wii U since it can't read Gamecube discs.
---
Mega Man Powered Up is the best PSP exclusive and you know it.
#6AlexPumaPosted 2/18/2013 11:46:13 AM
Having GCN games playing on the Wii U hampers Nintendo's strategy of selling you stuff like Wind Waker HD for full price. That way whenever there's a huge drought, they can fall back on Mario Sunshine HD and Smash Bros Melee HD with minimal effort.
---
http://www.gaming-unleashed.com/
"Oh I can handle any load that comes my way....." - Savott
#7nickvd8Posted 2/18/2013 11:48:53 AM
AlexPuma posted...
Having GCN games playing on the Wii U hampers Nintendo's strategy of selling you stuff like Wind Waker HD for full price. That way whenever there's a huge drought, they can fall back on Mario Sunshine HD and Smash Bros Melee HD with minimal effort.

Except Wind Waker is being rebuilt from the ground up. It's not just a few filters and some spit shine like the HD collections you find on PS3 & 360.
---
Sign this
www.tinyurl.com/timesplittersHD
#8metroid02Posted 2/18/2013 11:57:58 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
One big issue with bringing GCN games directly to the Wii U is that none of the current controllers for the Wii U have analog triggers, which many GCN games utilized. In some cases this drastically hampers the gameplay (think Super Mario Sunshine). Simply releasing the game as is won't work. They will actually have to reprogram some of the gameplay.

Never considered that.....hmmmm. Surely though it cant be that hard to reasign the buttons or can it? I had a GC back in the day and it didnt have more buttons than the Wii U Gamepad. So how hard can it be to simply reassign the buttons from the GC controller to that of the Wii U gamepad? The ABXY buttons are the same (except for the size), L,R could be ZL and ZR and the Z button could be mapped to both the (current) L and R buttons. Then all they would need to do is make sure the d-pad and analog sticks input is read correctly and make a few necessary changes to the HUD (if I remember correctly games like Mario Sunshine would display on the screen what each button would do). Then again, this is something that I doubt represents a huge effort for a company like Nintendo.

Polishing up the game to make them prettier for the current consoles is not what im asking for. Sure, that would easily take some time. Nintendo could offer two versions online: the older version simply refitted to the gamepad and then (for select titles) the HD version (similar to Wind Waker HD).
---
"Crysis missed the mark visually. I mean come on, there is an island full of Koreans, but NONE of them are playing Starcraft???" -themerchant8
#9SlimeSwayzePosted 2/18/2013 12:03:35 PM
metroid02 posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...

Never considered that.....hmmmm. Surely though it cant be that hard to reasign the buttons or can it? I had a GC back in the day and it didnt have more buttons than the Wii U Gamepad. So how hard can it be to simply reassign the buttons from the GC controller to that of the Wii U gamepad? The ABXY buttons are the same (except for the size), L,R could be ZL and ZR and the Z button could be mapped to both the (current) L and R buttons. Then all they would need to do is make sure the d-pad and analog sticks input is read correctly and make a few necessary changes to the HUD (if I remember correctly games like Mario Sunshine would display on the screen what each button would do). Then again, this is something that I doubt represents a huge effort for a company like Nintendo.

Polishing up the game to make them prettier for the current consoles is not what im asking for. Sure, that would easily take some time. Nintendo could offer two versions online: the older version simply refitted to the gamepad and then (for select titles) the HD version (similar to Wind Waker HD).

Reassigning buttons isn't a problem, but there's no way to account for the analog triggers on the GCN controller. Being able to control the strength of the water stream in Mario Sunshine was pretty important to the gameplay, and the Wii U controllers, whether it's the Gamepad of the Pro controller, can't take that into account. For some games it won't matter, but for others it will make a big difference. It's really a bummer that they didn't have analog triggers on the Pro Controller, at least. Considering how much they charge for the controller, I feel like it should be there.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#10ArchangelJamesPosted 2/18/2013 4:10:35 PM
One thing I've seen suggested is using the second shoulder buttons for strong/weak differentiation. It's not quite the same as analog control, but how sensitive were those triggers anyway?
---
Please become a fan of my cat.
www.facebook.com/MalikTheCat