The PS4 will either be cheap or powerful, but not both

#31iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 3:34:20 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
Xbox 360 was vastly more powerful than Wii, and yet by some miracle it launched at $299/$399 in 2005.

You people are lying to yourselves if you think it'll require expensive hardware to blow the Wii U away. PS3 was expensive because of the Cell CPU and BD-ROM drive, both of which were ridiculously costly for a home console in 2006.

That's because the Wii's hardware wasn't the pricey part. The cost was in the motion controls. Plus I believe the 360 sold at a loss, while the Wii U sold at a profit.

The cost of motion controls have gone down since, but they were probably more expensive when the Wii launched.

Also, we can pretty much expect the other consoles to include some form of motion control in their systems.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#32Paulf001Posted 2/18/2013 3:38:21 PM
PS4 isn't using high end components but mid ranged ones. The 8 core AMD 1.6ghz cpu is pretty crap compared to a good 4 core cpu like a core i7. 8 cores that have poor performance by today's standards isn't that good. 4gb of ram, and a laptop based radeon 7000 series

While this is a huge jump above what PS3 can do its not top of the line for sure. But since its a closed environment they can get more out of their hardware then you could on a PC.
#33KaleliskalelPosted 2/18/2013 3:38:36 PM
Hozama posted...
Kaleliskalel posted...
iKhanic posted...
Everyone is talking about how the PS4 will be so powerful, but won't be much more expensive than the Wii U, and will therefore hurt the Wii U's sales.

But they miss the fact that the gamepad probably only costs $65-$75 to manufacture. If Sony fills that in with a controller and better specs, they have about $50 to improve the the specs. That's not going to blow the Wii U out of the water.

If sony is going to make such a powerful console, the PS4 will have to be a lot pricier than the Wii U

what you are seeing is actually 2 seperate claims, the nintendo fanbots believe sony cant possible have another 599 release price so therefore the power jump will be insignificant, while the sony fanbots such as myself know that the ps4 will blow your mind and dont care what the launch price is.

And that's a mistake. Sony can't take years of constant losses because they price their system so high that regular consumers cannot afford it. That's why price does matter, no matter what anyone says or thinks. Companies need to make money, as without money, they go bankrupt and close shop. We saw what happened to THQ. If Sony doesn't price the PS4 reasonably, they are going to lose a great deal of money. They don't have unlimited money to try and keep a sinking ship afloat. It's better to have a ship that supports itself.

sony has never had a problem selling consoles. the ship is not sinking, where do people get this info from that sonys gaming division is a failure? you know nobody in japan buys xboxs right?
---
When ps3 launched it was banned from export because the processor was so powerful. Tell me again about how powerful you gaming pc is.
#34icarus231Posted 2/18/2013 3:42:50 PM
Kaleliskalel posted...
Hozama posted...
Kaleliskalel posted...
iKhanic posted...
Everyone is talking about how the PS4 will be so powerful, but won't be much more expensive than the Wii U, and will therefore hurt the Wii U's sales.

But they miss the fact that the gamepad probably only costs $65-$75 to manufacture. If Sony fills that in with a controller and better specs, they have about $50 to improve the the specs. That's not going to blow the Wii U out of the water.

If sony is going to make such a powerful console, the PS4 will have to be a lot pricier than the Wii U

what you are seeing is actually 2 seperate claims, the nintendo fanbots believe sony cant possible have another 599 release price so therefore the power jump will be insignificant, while the sony fanbots such as myself know that the ps4 will blow your mind and dont care what the launch price is.

And that's a mistake. Sony can't take years of constant losses because they price their system so high that regular consumers cannot afford it. That's why price does matter, no matter what anyone says or thinks. Companies need to make money, as without money, they go bankrupt and close shop. We saw what happened to THQ. If Sony doesn't price the PS4 reasonably, they are going to lose a great deal of money. They don't have unlimited money to try and keep a sinking ship afloat. It's better to have a ship that supports itself.

sony has never had a problem selling consoles. the ship is not sinking, where do people get this info from that sonys gaming division is a failure? you know nobody in japan buys xboxs right?

Do a simple web search for where sony makes its money from. Its not electronics.
#35DDP886Posted 2/18/2013 4:11:27 PM
b1gt0ne posted...
DDP886 posted...
its gonna be 399 and mega fast. its going to be a revolution in gamming

............Bwaahahahahahahahaaa!!!!

Revolution?? Like being the most expensive dust collector the PS3 was? If it's cheap, it will be because it will not play used games.

I see every body cry about it not being able to play used games but lets be honest, the average gamer does not buy used games. They buy new games because they don't buy a game every week. So when they buy the game, they have the number to buy a fresh new copy.
---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs
#36Lefty128kPosted 2/18/2013 5:03:53 PM
icarus231 posted...
Lefty128k posted...
icarus231 posted...
DDP886 posted...
its gonna be 399 and mega fast. its going to be a revolution in gamming

Please explain this revolution in gaming, seeing as sony never innovates.

Your precious Wii U tablet, Sony started it with PS1 and Pocketstation. Nintendo also ripped off Blu Ray tech, instead of licensing, so means it can't play movie discs.

Your precious Wii wand, Sony prototyped that during PS2 days.

Your precious Gamecube ripped off mini-DVD tech. Also, lol at Nintendo for going from cartridges with limited capacity, to some of the smallest possible optical discs.

NES itself was designed from copying prior consoles.

Even your precious Mario got beat to the side-scrolling, jumping, swimming game by Jungle Hunt from Taito.

The only thing Nintendo invented and innovated was ROB. It was a failure, two whole games.

I hope you dont seriously believe what your saying. I never said nintendo invented but they do innovate much like apple. We can play the who copies who game all day and the pocketstation was a copy of the dreamcast VMU. Nintendo didnt rip off mini dvd or BR. They just didnt waste the money to allow people to play movies. The wii u does innovate just as the wii because it changes how games are played.

It's not a matter of belief, what I listed is reality.

You said Sony never innovates, I showed that they do better....they invent.
Nintendo steals tech, alters it to avoid licenses.
#37AmakusaPosted 2/18/2013 5:10:45 PM
If the PS4 doesn't turn out to be appreciably better than the PS3 Sony would be out of their minds.
---
I will rule the world, and find that truly good cup of coffee.
#38ZvolTxPosted 2/18/2013 5:15:47 PM
Ask Pachter. It's going to be $300 and 10x more powerful than the most powerful PC possible.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted Him as your Lord and Savior, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.
http://i50.tinypic.com/344dpwn.jpg
#39STN79Posted 2/18/2013 5:26:28 PM
Everyone keeps talking about it being made with cheaper parts thus decreasing the cost.
Doesn't cheaper parts usually mean junk? Sony wouldn't take the cheapo route if they are trying to prove their superiority. Nobody wants a system that'll break down easier. The PS4 will definitely cost more than Wii U and games will be harder to develop. Plus they'll cost 70 dollars or more. This thing will almost have to be over 400 if it's really that powerful.
#40Virus66Posted 2/18/2013 5:30:49 PM
DDP886 posted...
I see every body cry about it not being able to play used games but lets be honest, the average gamer does not buy used games. They buy new games because they don't buy a game every week. So when they buy the game, they have the number to buy a fresh new copy.

Right, then that totally explains how Gamestop is pulling in millions per quarter... because you know... nobody buys used games...

People look at used games as just saving money.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?