Do you think we will ever get a Zelda game that is the size of Skyrim?

#6140DribylfPosted 2/19/2013 5:16:04 AM
SythisTaru posted...
Yes 400+ handcrafted locations (absolutely NOTHING is random generated such as in games like Diablo 2.). Literally every item is hand placed and is there for a reason. The environments themselves tell the stories of what has happened(or is happening) there. I think Fallout 3 did this better than Skyrim, but Skyrim is also much bigger while still being extremely detailed.

It really makes the game more interesting when you go to the different locations and try to piece together the story based on how the level designer intentionally placed everything; it's pretty cool actually. I will admit that most of the actual quests themselves in Skyrim weren't very interesting; but for me, the real fun came from exploring the world and doing what I talked about above.

None of this counteracts my point that Skyrim is a whole bunch of nothing. You can have fun enjoying the environments, but the fact is the world is there just for the sake of having a world. It doesn't matter how detailed it is.

I enjoyed Skyrim. A lot. I still fast-traveled everywhere. I actually preferred Oblivion's randomly generated dungeons since it was a slightly different experience each playthrough. Skyrim's dungeons, however "detailed" they were, still felt samey and you did the same ****.

Skyrim is a whole lot of nothing.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990
#62meiyukiPosted 2/19/2013 7:04:23 AM
I suspect a lot of people are just wowed by the scale of skyrim and can't see beyond that, probably havn't played the other games in the series too that actually had some real depth. Most of the dungeons have no real puzzles, or side paths, they're just the same linear kill fests. The outside world is filled with nothing but wolves and bears. And every dungeon is one of 4 enemies, draugr, necromancers, falmer, or bandits. And you guys can stop pretending like you're the only ones that have played the game.

A zelda game on that scale would be really cool actually, the problem is actually pulling it off. The amount of time and money it would take to make all the necessary dungeons, even allowing for some to just be generic caves, you'd still need a lot of dungeon puzzles, varied locations and such. If done right it could be cool if they used dlc to do it, release a complete zelda game with an open world but room to expand so you don't have to build it all at once. Then sell the rest of the world as dlc as you make it to make up for the production costs. There is kind of a reason so much of skyrim is empty and shallow.
#63Arcadia__personPosted 2/19/2013 7:09:47 AM
SythisTaru posted...

Yes 400+ handcrafted locations (absolutely NOTHING is random generated such as in games like Diablo 2.). Literally every item is hand placed and is there for a reason. The environments themselves tell the stories of what has happened(or is happening) there. I think Fallout 3 did this better than Skyrim, but Skyrim is also much bigger while still being extremely detailed.

It really makes the game more interesting when you go to the different locations and try to piece together the story based on how the level designer intentionally placed everything; it's pretty cool actually. I will admit that most of the actual quests themselves in Skyrim weren't very interesting; but for me, the real fun came from exploring the world and doing what I talked about above.

I've played a lot of Skyrim, and while it is a fantastic game, that is definitely not true. You will routinely have different players find different items in different chests. It often depends on your level, for instance, but more than that there is clearly some randomness to it. I think it's pretty obvious to pretty much everyone who's played the game that the majority of loot is random.
---
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." -Skies of Arcadia
#64MC_Brian1Posted 2/19/2013 7:23:25 PM
kaiser ryu posted...

Prime example of the faulty "handcrafted dungeons" argument for Skyrim would be: take a screenshot of a hall in any given Skyrim dungeon and ask someone to identify exactly which it is. Then do so for any Zelda title.

This. The dungeons, if you can even call them that, are dank caves with some wooden beams and bridges, soul gems, and maybe some Dwarven stuff. Great game, but ridiculously shallow.
---
Will Nuketown be like the McRib? - PatrickEwing
I hope not. I hate explosive diarrhea. - BadDecisions
#65ADHDguitarPosted 2/19/2013 7:24:29 PM
Point:

Skyrim is nice, but this kind of world wouldn't work for Zelda.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#66pikachupwnagePosted 2/19/2013 7:25:43 PM
DDP886 posted...
Definitely not TC, the wii u cannot run skyrim

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2zbxnXMUW1qdzogdo1_r1_500.gif

http://www.islandcrisis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/double-facepalm.jpg

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/380/079/bc9.gif
---
Pokemon generation six! All aboard the hype train! http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd101/Mauduin2/HypeTrain.png Walhart-Low prices. Everyday. On Everything
#67ZimbabweBobPosted 2/19/2013 7:29:50 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
Quality > quantity

Skyrim's world is a whole lot of nothing.

This to the Nth power. It's generic, boring gameplay with far too many game-ending/breaking glitches.
---
You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.
NNID: ZimbabweBob
#68AllstarJasonPosted 2/19/2013 11:05:35 PM
It's not the size that counts, it's how you use it!
---
~Vancouver Canucks~