Toshiba Hard Drive fails.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Toshiba Hard Drive fails.

User Info: plasmawisp1713

plasmawisp1713
3 years ago#1
So I finally got around to buying a Hard Drive for the Wii U, picked up a Terra byte for 70 or something with my tax refunds, I plugged that sucker in and booted up the dusty ol' console and went to format device. After agreeing to format it it told me "Unable to Format", that's it. I intent to call Nintendo (and their amazing customer service) because I'm pretty sure they can solve it, but if I can get it fixed here, Whynaut?

Any ideas?
Wii U Nintendo Network: Lightzeaka
3DS Friend Code: 4296-4396-5385

User Info: DDP886

DDP886
3 years ago#2
WOW how shoddy is that ! the console shoulda came with a large harddrive built in so you didn't have to play around with externals
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs

User Info: r8mli

r8mli
3 years ago#3
A suggestion would be to have your computer format the drive first. If that works then try again with the Wii U, otherwise the hardrive is a bunk and you might want to ask for a replacement. Where was the HD made in? The ones made in Thailand are more reliable than the ones made in China.
Look inside the box, live outside of it.

plasmawisp1713
3 years ago#4
I tried plugging it into my computer and then turning the Wii U off, plugging it in, and starting it up, no avail.

Yes, it was manufactured in China, but that shouldn't matter. Everything I hold precious to me was made in China.

r8mli
3 years ago#5
When you plug into the computer have the computer do a format. Go to what ever drive it is called, right click then select format. If it DOES format then it should be fine and have the Wii U itself format.

plasmawisp1713
3 years ago#6
Okay, I'll try formatting it on my TOSHIBA PC first then. Heh.

r8mli
3 years ago#7
I have nothing against TOSHIBA PC's, the HD are notorious for failing.

plasmawisp1713
3 years ago#8
Well well well. Tried to format and it told me it couldn't. So it's the Hard Drive at fault then?

User Info: picano

picano
3 years ago#9
Is it single usb powered? If so, you might want to use a Y cable on it to draw more energy.

EDIT: Though, if you can't format it on the pc... then yeah there is probably an issue with the drive.
Shadow Kirby 3: www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNj-HmieoMk&fmt=22 Watch!
http://picanogfx.unotaku.com 3D Art and Catgirls!

r8mli
3 years ago#10
Yea, best advice is to ask for a replacement. QC dropped the ball on your HD.
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. Toshiba Hard Drive fails.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived