Wii-U a mistake; will lead to Nintendo's demise -Patcher

#1MashYouGoodPosted 2/19/2013 3:14:03 AM
"While speaking to GamesBeat, Wedbush Securities managing director Michael Pachter described the Wii U as a “mistake” that Nintendo “probably can’t recover from.

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/michael-pachter-considers-wii-u-a-mistake-nintendo-probably-cant-recover-from/

Patcher is the kind of "analyst" that predicts everything after the fact. Aside from that, I have to agree with him in this instance.

The Wii-U (and, indeed, the Wii; given it's in no small part led to the Wii-U) has been a very short-sighted marketing strategy for Nintendo (now a.k.a. "Nintoddler"). Sure, you corner the casual, less than discerning consumer base with casual games and gimmicky controls schemes etc. But the efficacy of this kind of video game philosophy is very short term and doesn't take into account the need to constantly reinvent this 'gimmick focused' philosophy in order to keep it relevant.

Add to that the more acute pricing challenges a casual market geared format incurs – kids and the elderly aren't going to fork out $500+ for consoles every few years – compared to the 'hardcore' formats, and you have a recipe for dead brand walking. Kind of surprising a company as wily as Nintendo weren't more prescient in this case...

If Nintendo do go down, hopefully Sega resurrect the Dreamcast and take Nintendo's licenses and do something *ahem* more 'mature' with them. We can only hope.
#2squatch22Posted 2/19/2013 3:16:33 AM
LolPachter
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#3RedOrionPosted 2/19/2013 3:18:45 AM(edited)
MashYouGood posted...

If Nintendo do go down, hopefully Sega resurrect the Dreamcast and take Nintendo's licenses and do something *ahem* more 'mature' with them. We can only hope.

That sounds....awful, I guess we are all entitled to our own opinions. It's also common knowledge that Pachter is nothing more than a sensationalist, he gets paid to entertain.

Is this the downfall of Nitnendo?.. naw, not even close.
#4Big_IsaacPosted 2/19/2013 3:19:17 AM
awesome.
if Pachter said that, than this pretty much confirms that the WiiU is going to be a success in the end.
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#5darkqueenhelbaPosted 2/19/2013 3:31:54 AM
Sega is in no position to acquire any additional licenses. Not to mention try hardware again. If Nintendo can recover from things like the Virtual Boy and find"success" with systems like the N64/GCN then they can weather an AVERAGE launch. Too many people are trying to compare Nintendo's prior success to how things normally run.
---
My response to trolls; GET A JOB!!!
#6MR_Smarty_PantsPosted 2/19/2013 3:44:12 AM
How is the Wii U being a mistake new news?
---
Proud owner of the Wii U!
#7Red_hot_smasherPosted 2/19/2013 4:55:35 AM
squatch22 posted...
LolPachter

---
All these organizations for human rights, and yet noone cares about the victims of copyright law. ;(
Sierpinski Triangle = Yo dawg, I heard you like Triforces.
#8KAMMYqueenPosted 2/19/2013 4:58:20 AM
but i thought he said it will sell like 50 millions in 3 years or something
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa must be in Super Smash bros 4! For the People!
#9StealthOmegaPosted 2/19/2013 5:08:49 AM
pachter said he wrote the response late at night, didnt think about it and regrets it
---
Twitter - @FlameDragon_
#10JdciPosted 2/19/2013 5:12:38 AM
Big_Isaac posted...
awesome.
if Pachter said that, than this pretty much confirms that the WiiU is going to be a success in the end.

---
"Anyway, my favourite ball is my right one, as my left is still tender from my infamous waterslide incident :P" --Slartibartfast42