To the people comparing the Call of Duty and the Mario franchises.

#1Pac12345Posted 2/19/2013 6:00:07 AM
Had to be seen to be believed. Seriously, the trolling in this board is easily the worst in GameFAQs history.

I won't try to argue or convince anyone, but I will say this:

Mario IS the face of the video game industry. You can show an image of Mario (And Mario related items) to almost anyone in the world, and that person will instantly assimilate the image to video games.s Regardless if they know the name of Mario or that it is the Mario franchise.

As a "gamer" you do not disrespect that icon. You appreciate the power of a thousand words, the power of years of evolution, the power that one simple image conveys. You respect Mario (The face of the whole industry) whether you like his games or not, because no matter how much you like your favorite game series, that series is not as known or popular in the entire world.

So, next time you compare an institution, such as Mario, to a caveman's version of entertainment (Call of Duty), you keep it simple and civil:

-Mario saved the industry for North American gamers back in the 80's (The video game crash),brought back to life and revolutionized an entire industry, set the bar for the industry time and time again, inspired countless other series and franchises, etc.

-Call of Duty has stagnated an entire industry (Every other game tries to be either a CoD clone or a CoD killer), has made consumer abusive practices popular (CoD Elite), has not once, since 2007 changed in a substantial manner, has inspired a generation gamers to punish creativity and reward minimal effort and laziness (Every year CoD sets a new sales record).

There. Good enough comparison for you? So next time you compare Mario to any other franchise you do not call the Mario legacy "milked".

You criticize it, with respect, because you wouldn't even be playing games had it not been for Mario.
#2Xtreme-VoidPosted 2/19/2013 6:09:43 AM
This is easily because, long ago gaming is oriented largely for a child (you can even say that video games are for a child), with each revolution of gaming technology, more and more adult interested in gaming, and more and more adult oriented games created, this you can't deny.

Mario is purposed and aimed for a child from the series born, you can't blame people for comparing ancient kiddies game with today adult/mature oriented games.
#3KAMMYqueenPosted 2/19/2013 6:10:44 AM
old
---
KAMMY KOOPA and baby kammy koopa must be in Super Smash bros 4! For the People!
#4iKhanicPosted 2/19/2013 6:11:23 AM
Yup. Sort like you have to respect George Washington, even if you hated his political beliefs.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#5hellbringherPosted 2/19/2013 6:13:42 AM
Fanboys have no originality.

Fanboy - someone who uses the word troll to replace normal words in an attempt to gain friends from strangers on the interweb. They have also been know to steal topics and pretend they are bothered by them so they can appear concerned about videogames. -definition.com
---
Currently playing ~ Syndicate
#6sanas_thirituPosted 2/19/2013 6:22:27 AM
I disagree that Mario is the face of the gaming industry. Perhaps its true for you americans. And america is Not equal to the world.

From where I come from, no one gives two hoots about mario. In fact, call of duty is more popular in new developing economies like India where no one knew or cared about mario.

In that sense, yes call of duty is bigger globally than mario.
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#7dennis941012Posted 2/19/2013 6:25:27 AM
I disagree that Mario is the face of the gaming industry. Perhaps its true for you americans. And america is Not equal to the world.

From where I come from, no one gives two hoots about mario. In fact, call of duty is more popular in new developing economies like India where no one knew or cared about mario.

India has much more to worry about then video gaming -.-
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#8sanas_thirituPosted 2/19/2013 6:31:29 AM
dennis941012 posted...

India has much more to worry about then video gaming -.-

A good section of people there can now afford stuff and they dont want mario 1562. Graphics and new ips are what sells.
Btw, I live in the Netherlands. I just used India as an example.

Mario IS NOT the face of the gaming industry. Period.
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#9sonicsonicPosted 2/19/2013 6:33:43 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...

I can't exactly call you a liar.... but Mario is the face of the gaming industry. I'm from Europe and everyone knows Mario, everyone in Japan knows Mario, everyone in America knows Mario.

These three locations aren't more important than any other place, but for gaming they are the main three. Perhaps other countries wouldn't recognize Mario as much, but too say that doesn't make him the face of gaming is... wrong.

The point that Mario is a Mascot and COD is a franchise is a big point. Sometimes franchises do get more interest than Mario. A lot of them do. Halo, COD, Assassins Creed and all of those other AAA titles, but after a few years and time goes by people forget about them.

Halo 4's sales were lower than a few previous entries. Same with BlOPs2. In 10 years COD won't be as big as it is today and probably won't be around.
#1040DribylfPosted 2/19/2013 6:34:09 AM
sanas_thiritu posted...

Are you joking

First off, Mario is a Japanese IP. His games span from Japan to Europe to the Americas.

And India has a lot more things to be worried about.
---
I am hip
http://www.last.fm/user/KDay1990